Coolers for 2016 Tech Pack

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by mustang5o, Jan 25, 2019.

1. mustang5o

mustang5o TMO Intermediate

I've seen some decent prices on 2016 GT350's with the tech packages. Has anyone put the necessary coolers on theirs? Which ones did you choose? I thought I remember reading that the trans wasn't even setup to install a trans cooler. Is that correct? I was looking at 2018/2019 GT's (PP1 or PP2) and figured they would need better cooling so maybe grabbing a 2016 tech and adding coolers would be a better way to go.

What do you think?

2. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

I just grabbed a 2016 tech pack. There is a cooler kit from ford, however no pump in the transmission. Though with some careful fabrication, it’s not difficult to add an inline pump. They can be noisy but probably looking at $750 all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svttim likes this.
  3. mkonrad

mkonrad TMO Beginner

I wouldn’t buy one at any discount. This coming from a guy owning 2016 tech pack with all the parts from Ford Performance, both trans and diff coolers. No complaints on the transmission cooler, good fit and finish, and really is required for a track car.

I’m far less pleased with the differential cooler from Ford. It lacks PCM integration, though the fit is good. I don’t get the temp readout (without losing my temp controlled switch).

4. mustang5o

Good to know. I've seen a few 2016 track packs out there as well. I'll continue my research but they don't seem to have good options (IMO) for updating the stereo touch screen interface.

5. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

mustang5o likes this.
  6. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Pricey is an understatement!

7. mustang5o

Thanks. I've read threads of people piecing that setup together themselves. Considering it's a factory system I wouldn't expect much less on the price (for a system that's already together and programmed). Crutchfield does show that you could install a double din after market radio but they mention needing to permanently modify your sub dash. I'd like to see some pictures of those systems installed. Plus that one doesn't keep the sync system in place. Android Auto would probably be the better option anyway.

8. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

I see it as 6 of one half dozen of the other. Sounds like you want both options, which is available in the 2017 models.

I wanted the tech features first knowing I could easily add the coolers should it ever be warranted for my application. Knowing exact diff temperature isn't too big a deal for me as long as there's a thermostatic control of the cooling system (which for the ford kit there is)

9. barstowpo

barstowpo TMO Intermediate

I added the trans cooler and trans using the Ford Performance kits. I haven't done the diff yet. I'll probably just change fluid after track days.

10. spartan

spartan TMO Race

I used a Tech car as a donor car for my track car build. I did the cooling for both diff and trans using aftermarket parts. Its a bit of work. If you want the larger screen too then maybe look for a good deal on a 17. I do have the large screen and some of the parts. I need to sell from my car if anyone needs the larger screen.

11. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

FWIW the diff on my 2016 Track Park ran hot with the cooler. IMO the small amount of fluid in the diff needs a cooler if you’re pushing it on track.

12. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

13. TDC

TDC TMO Intermediate

I run a 2016 Tech GT350. Added the trans cooler and replace the diff fluid after 2-3 track days. Have about 22-25 track days and all is well.

For the trans cooler I used the Ford trans radiator kit and an electric pump that is normally used for cooling a turbo so it can take the heat. Can't hear the pump with the engine running. Used Forescan to allow the trans temperature to display on the central gauge (the one between mph and rpm).

Will most likely add the diff cooler this year to extend the replacement to every 5-6 days.

captdistraction and VoodooBoss like this.
  14. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

Info or link ?

15. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

Fastfordnut likes this.
  16. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

byronj likes this.
  17. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

Update:
    Same guy from the link I posted.
    OEMradio.com was formerly in business as Infotainment.com.
    His prices are better this time around.

18. svttim

svttim TMO Intermediate

I upgraded my Tech pack car to the track pack Trans and cooler from Ford. The rear end cooler was a Full Tilt Boogie racing unit. Both worked extremely well. I sold my 16 only because I was offered an R. If you can get a good price go for it. In fact, a dealer here has a brand new yellow/black 16