The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling things down after track session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a couple household plug into the wall fans, and I was thinking that I could bring them to the track to help cool the car down in between track sessions.

My idea was to have the fan in front of the car, blowing air through the radiator while the car is turned off. Not sure if this will help bring the coolant temps down in between sessions if the car is turned off and the coolant is not being pumped through the radiator?

My other idea was to place it on top of the radiator cover and just have it blowing into the engine bay to cool everything down inside there?

Any thoughts/suggestions on this?

BOSS5OH said:
I have a couple household plug into the wall fans, and I was thinking that I could bring them to the track to help cool the car down in between track sessions.

My idea was to have the fan in front of the car, blowing air through the radiator while the car is turned off. Not sure if this will help bring the coolant temps down in between sessions if the car is turned off and the coolant is not being pumped through the radiator?

My other idea was to place it on top of the radiator cover and just have it blowing into the engine bay to cool everything down inside there?

Any thoughts/suggestions on this?
You would be further ahead letting the car sit and idle after your session for 5 or 10 minutes allowing the coolant to keep flowing and your car's fan running directly on your radiator. When your car just sits not running after athe session is when it heat soaks.

I like to do a parade lap or two around the padock and through the skidpad area at low speed to let everything cool, fans are not as efficient as a moving car pushing air into the radiator. Also lets the brakes cool a little more, even if you did a cool down lap on the track. But if you go with a group like NASA that has downloads after sessions, you might not have time. I also like to leave the hood up after parking it, but the stock hood prop scares me since it lets the hood hang a little crooked.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
You would be further ahead letting the car sit and idle after your session for 5 or 10 minutes allowing the coolant to keep flowing and your car's fan running directly on your radiator. When your car just sits not running after athe session is when it heat soaks.

+1, and with the hood open.

If you leave it running in the pit right after coming off track, I suggest neutral and a wheel chock rather than pulling the parking brake.

Sesshomurai

Yeah, I was told not to use the e brake or it could meld the pads/rotors, but if you use neutral, don't forget to put blocks around the tires.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
All of the above, and park facing into the wind if there is any.

I use wheel chocks and leave it in neutral with the hood up. Also use the cool down lap and run the engine for a couple of minutes for the coolant to cycle. I usually let the radiator fan run for one cycle. If I'm trying to cool down quickly, I run the heater for a bit with the interior fan on high.

The idea of the fan in front is great, coupled with idling for 10 minutes. Leave it on after you shut it down until you can safely put you hand on the radiator. That might be 30+ minutes.

Big time +1 on the emergency brake and chocks.

Opening the hood between sessions is a great idea. Either get the hood struts or make another prop (from a broom handle cut to size with rubber slip over caps on the ends) to place on the other side of the open hood to balance out the factory prop. I honestly wouldn't worry about the slight droop caused by the factory prop. Aluminum has some flexibility and this should not cause any permanent deforming. I'm not keen on setting a fan on the radiator support, you're risking it getting knocked over and doing some damage. Besides, think about all those other guys who dying to look at that motor!

Mike

Also bear in mind that this cools the coolant and the motor, but not the tranny or brakes. Running 30 on/30 off even with cool down laps my brakes and clutch were the real issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors