The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

cooling upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
Just finished a 6 week cooling upgrade. Things like this usually dont take me this long but it kept growing. I decided to add an inline trans cooler I contacted Mishimoto and they dont make a direct fit Auto trans cooler for the 2018 auto. So I re purposed two Fluidyne trans cooler I had from a old off road truck, I had that would fit the space I wanted and it was free (dont worry it was flushed cleaned and pressure tested it.). While it was out getting pressure tested and cleaned I ordered a oil cooling kit from Mishimoto and while I was waiting for that to arrive I figured I would a get new grill, I mean after all I had the front bumper off so why not. So I ordered a MP top and bottom grill set from AM. they all got here and I went to work. Installing the oil cooler was not as easy as I thought it would be but it went in as the instructions said it would. The Trans cooler took some fabrication in the form of brackets I drilled and taped into the crashbar and installed it just below it. I hope some day someone will make a dipstick to the trans. OMG what a pain to check and fill that thing. I could not check it hot so I checked it at room temp and when I installed the cooler I pre filled the cooler and rechecked it cool and filled it I gotr it to the same place. Then came the grill. I did not like the no screened opening of the top grill and i removed the solid side sections of the bottom grill. Then I ordered some ABS grill mesh from ebay and cut glued it into the openings. Perfect if I must say so myself. In the middle of this project I forgot to take photos. And I must give credit to lil Zeus for the fitting detail. Anyway the only photo I have is the finished photo of the grill. so here it is

20210122_151631.jpg

20210122_151622.jpg

20210122_085117.jpg

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
I didnt take any pics:-( I know stupid . The coolers were monted with the outlets facing toward the center of the car. They are small coolers about 15"x 6"x 2.5" and if and when Mishimoto comes out with a direct fit I will replace this one for one of theirs. But I could not beat the price. I have kept those in my garage for over ten years after replacing them from my nephew's pre runner truck thinking "someday I can use those things." Well it was someday. I got the idea from lil zeus and follow his lead. https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/10r80-automatic-trans-cooling-questions.14765/#post-219616. Once again sorry I didnt take any photos.

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
And just to let you guys know that even though I thought I did a very complete job I noticed a white object in the close up photo of the lower grill. and wondered "What is that?" So i went out to look and to my surprise it was a piece of newspaper that I forgot to remove after I installed the fittings. Now I have to remove the lower belly pan just to get it out. Goes to show you, always look around to make sure you got everything before you button it up.

20210122_151631.jpg

Last edited:
sfo
You wI’ll need a diff cooler. Your auto trans cooler sounds small. If it is too small you can buy a big derale cooler and repurpose your small one for the diff in the 350gt position

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
wow, that is a great idea! I know I want to be able to buy a prefab diff cooler kit. So if someone comes out with a trans cooler kit for the A10 first Then I know what to do with these. I did figure these were going to be too small but wanted to see if it was going in the right direction. After all that is why we changed them out in the off road truck.

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
You wI’ll need a diff cooler. Your auto trans cooler sounds small. If it is too small you can buy a big derale cooler and repurpose your small one for the diff in the 350gt position
ok, you got me thinking about this one. So there is no difference between the type of radiator used for a Diff. cooler and a trans cooler? If not then all I need to do is run tubing back to the diff and install a pump to circulate the diff fluid ? if so I will start this project very soon. Any advice on this will be helpful.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel