The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been asked to tell a little bit about FLUIDYNEs association with Ford and the events that convinced us to develop a special cooling module specifically for the Boss 302 R:

Our first cooperation with the high performance side of FoMoCo dates back to 1968 where we worked together to develop an engine oil cooler for the Shelby Cobra, the Mustang GT-500 and the GT-350... all in the same year.

In those days, we were the Fluid Cooling Div of Dunham-Bush and located in Riverside, CA... close to the Raceway where the performance testing was taking place. We were already the OEM oil cooler supplier to Ford for their Trucks so we got the call to help. The coolers we developed were well-received and now, 45+ years later, we still produce sell the OEM oil coolers for those 3 Iconic cars.

Our relationship with Ford also led us into off-road racing where we provided oil cooling support to their highly successful (factory-backed) Enduro Race team which had multiple Baja 1000 & Baja 500 wins.

Our Stock Car Racing experiences started on short tracks up and down the West coast in the 80's and 90's and in 1999 we became the official oil cooler of NASCAR-a Licsencee status we maintained for four years.

We became involved with the Boss 302 R when Tiger Racing founder, Paul Brown asked us to lend our support to his effort to win the Continental Tire Series. The challenge was to make a substantial improvement in engine cooling and remain stock-appearing. Tiger Racing did win the Championship that year and we developed a significant amount of performance data. Since that first year of development, the Boss 302 R cooling module has evolved into 3-different configurations.

In the future, when members of the forum have more questions, I will be happy to talk about our 3 options for cooling the Boss.

Again, thanks for your interest in FLUIDYNE cooling products & the chance to tell our story.
Coilman

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Gary, Thanks for sharing. You have built a great company and have a awesome reputation. It really is fun having you on board with us.
Gary has been working with a super charged V-6 mustang and has the Boss 302R-Hx installed in it. He forwarded me this link below. The driver is very pleased and his car cooling issues are solved.
http://v6mustangperformance.com/road-america-track-day-2/
So if any Boss owners are up for the upgrade contact Gary at Fluidyne and discuss options.

Domestic Product said:
Gary, Thanks for sharing. You have built a great company and have a awesome reputation. It really is fun having you on board with us.
Gary has been working with a super charged V-6 mustang and has the Boss 302R-Hx installed in it. He forwarded me this link below. The driver is very pleased and his car cooling issues are solved.
http://v6mustangperformance.com/road-america-track-day-2/
So if any Boss owners are up for the upgrade contact Gary at Fluidyne and discuss options.
If it keeps a supercharged 6 banger cool at Road America, that's saying a lot.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Snapped some pics of the radiators at CVR:
15868763222_a69f3c9434_c.jpg
one of the oil fittings:
15683389209_80e46f6e93_c.jpg
Radiator oulet oil cooler water inlet connection
15681878568_fe24f7fbed_c.jpg
from this car:
15869433095_96bdd29eaa_c.jpg
no grilles on this one:
15867447031_d5ba3e530c_c.jpg

I probably should have taken a few of the oil cooler connections on the block side. :(

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Grant 302 said:
Snapped some pics of the radiators at CVR:
15868763222_a69f3c9434_c.jpg
one of the oil fittings:
15683389209_80e46f6e93_c.jpg
Radiator oulet oil cooler water inlet connection
15681878568_fe24f7fbed_c.jpg
from this car:
15869433095_96bdd29eaa_c.jpg
no grilles on this one:
15867447031_d5ba3e530c_c.jpg

I probably should have taken a few of the oil cooler connections on the block side. :(

Grant, Did you take these this weekend? I was out there Sat & Sun

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Tucson302 said:
Grant, Did you take these this weekend? I was out there Sat & Sun

I was only there for Sunday. I meant to stop by to say hi, but I was running behind all day. Saw your car exiting the pits a couple of times. I was parked just behind the school cars with the blue 5.0 next to the yellow WRX.
cloud9 said:
Hey #14 in the background looks familiar. Hopefully the left front doesn't still look like this :p

;D Not everybody has your skill in breaking parts. Though LS110 comes close. ;)

Grant 302 said:
I was only there for Sunday. I meant to stop by to say hi, but I was running behind all day. Saw your car exiting the pits a couple of times. I was parked just behind the school cars with the blue 5.0 next to the yellow WRX.
;D Not everybody has your skill in breaking parts. Though LS110 comes close. ;)
:-[ Actually was thinking about the GT350 today. Hope they tested it hard! :)

JScheier said:
Maybe this time they drove it at elevations over 3'... you know... to test cooling efficiency and all :p
:) When I look at the list of performance/durability upgrades over the Boss, Todd was right when he told us they took the enthusiasts feedback and implemented it. I am guessing rigorous tests of the cooling system (at elevation) were part of it.

I assume there are a few of you who run the M-8005-MGT radiator.
I started installing mine today and ran into a problem that some of you must have had.
This radiator pushes the condenser forward about 5/8" and that makes it touch
the back of the Ford Racing oil cooler.
Anybody else have an issue or problem with this part?
I have a call in to Ford Racing but have to get a call back tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I installed my oil cooler after the aluminum radiator... so I may not have noticed it. I know it was tight in there once I added the oil cooler. I also used cut inner tube pieces to place between the cooler & condenser so that rubbing would be minimal.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel