The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
So I have been reading all the posts here and there on our cooling issues. Really do not like the plastic and aluminum radiator Ford gave us in the Boss. Have noticed most if not all that have up graded to the 302s unit still have cooling issues. While the 302s unit is a nicer piece and is all aluminum, I'm guessing it offers no real improvement in actual cooling for our street Boss's . Thinking Ford has in there for durability. No plastic radiators in the race car and the race car is a different beast.
Looking around at all the radiators available for the Boss, one has my interest. The CSF from Lethal or Steeda. http://www.steeda.com/store/csf-mustang-high-capacity-radiator-032-7037/
Anyone have experience with one of these radiators?

Also looking at Summit they have a interesting part listed under cooling,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmdivmus10bk/overview/year/2012/make/ford/model/mustang

My thoughts are to do as many of you have for track days , add high flow grill, SVT fan and new radiator.
What are all running for thermostats ? anybody make a high flow water pump for the Boss ?

Watching the oil cooler thread with interest, waiting to see the magic combo of parts. Could a better radiator be the missing link?

Hopefully John, LS110, stops in and posts which radiator he went with. For the life of me I can't remember the brand but they have been torture tested in the CVR academy Mustangs and should provide significant cooling capacity. I do not think the 302S radiator will add much to the cooling capacity. I'm curious if anyone has seen a reduction in temps with the upgraded GT500 radiator fan.

NFSBOSS said:
Hopefully John, LS110, stops in and posts which radiator he went with. For the life of me I can't remember the brand but they have been torture tested in the CVR academy Mustangs and should provide significant cooling capacity. I do not think the 302S radiator will add much to the cooling capacity. I'm curious if anyone has seen a reduction in temps with the upgraded GT500 radiator fan.
It's a Fluidyne unit that integrates an oil cooler as well correct? According to Mickey at Chuckwalla it was an instant fix even in 100* ambient temps.

A busy Mother's Day it has been.

That is the unit. Here is the part info: 302R Radiator, Oil Cooler & Fan, FRP30-Boss-CM10Hx, $1,400 plus $45 S&H from Fluidyne.

While I was at it I also changed the support to shed a few pounds: Steeda Mustang Lightweight Radiator Support, 555-5080, $200, Stock part 21 lbs, Steeda part 7 lbs, 14 lb reduction.

The crucial piece to all of this was the grille. After seeing Gary's I bought the same grille: Black Retro Mustang Upper Billet Grille (10-12 GT), American Muscle, 41124, $150. This requires the Grille Surround GT 2010-2012, CJ Pony AR3Z8419AA $103

So far so good on the temps, although I did not have many 90 degree days last season to give it the true test.

I should add that I am not using the oil cooler that comes with the Fluidyne rad and continue to use the stock cooler. The retrofitting required to use this did not seem worth the gain.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good input there.

I have my bar-grille in the trailer ready for my next track day at the higher altitudes of INDE Motorsports Ranch. Gonna be in the 90s there as well.

I have some AIM data from local tracks that I can compare to data from there, might make an update when I get back to town from that.

Domestic Product

VTBoss302 said:
Might be this one???

Fluidyne302R-Hx_zpsf37e8c5c.jpg

Dang, that is a nice looking unit. So is the fan part of the package or is it a option. I will call Fluidyne and see availability and such. Like the old saying , careful what you wish for you might just get it.

LS110 said:
I should add that I am not using the oil cooler that comes with the Fluidyne rad and continue to use the stock cooler. The retrofitting required to use this did not seem worth the gain.

John, thanks for the info. The Steeda support is on my list. Curious what the Fluidyne oil cooler set up is on this unit. Are they retaining the stock one and adding theirs or are they deleting the stock unit ?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LS110 said:

John,
Do you have a pic of how you hooked that up to the radiator return and bypass hoses? It looks like the Fluidyne is a two-pass type and the outlet is on the passenger side.

I do not have a picture and am out of town and not able to take one until late in the week. My mechanic stated installing the oil cooler would require relocating the oil filter and customizing several hoses. Thus we did not do hook that up. Not sure if this would be in addition to the current cooler or in place of. I'll see if I can get an answer on that.

Domestic Product

OK, so today I called Fluidyne and talked with Beth. She was very helpful and advised me to email a request for info on the Boss 302R-HX directly to Gary who is in charge of all custom work. I did so and received a prompt response from Gary who is the owner! He has been out of town on a trip and as we all know when you get back from vacation you are behind.
Gary will try and respond this week with the design and install requirements for this set up in our Boss's. I have invited him to join the conversation here on BMO.
I think we need to see the requirements of this set up and if it is straight forward, group buy could be a possibility.
Also, I must say it is vey refreshing to call a company and get a real person who knows what they are talking about and get a response from the owner in like 2 hours. Impressed to say the least.

I also found Gary and his team to be very helpful and responsive. My mechanic said the Fluidyne oil cooler would be in addition to our stock cooler. Please ask Gary if he has any instructions for installing that and the obtaining the custom hoses that would be required. I am interested in hooking mine up as I would guess I will gain a least another 5 degree drop.

So call me crazy, but I cut giant holes in my hood and riveted on runcool hood louvers. Two of em! That and the boss s radiator.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I've always been curious how well the Shelby one compares. It was designed for supercharged cars and my friend with the GT350 has never had any cooling problems.

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/images/leglamp/leglamp12.jpg

Z12-S11M-8005-B-2.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
I've always been curious how well the Shelby one compares. It was designed for supercharged cars and my friend with the GT350 has never had any cooling problems.

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/images/leglamp/leglamp12.jpg

http://www.shelbystore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Z12-S11M-8005-B-2.jpg[/mg]
[/quote]

I dunno but I'd bet a dollar you could find the same thing (minus the $helby) logo from C&R's website for substantially less money ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors