The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooltech Roll Bar Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey there all! I've been lurking for some time and figured it's about time I join. Okay I confess, I also have a question. :D

I'm actually a 2011 GT owner, but a great deal of what's on this board is applicable to me, as I've slowly been transforming my GT into a track car.

My current project is installing the Laguna Seca x-brace, as well as Cooltech's roll bar.

My question is, does anyone happen to know in what order the x-brace and other items need be installed?

Based on my review of Cooltech's instructions, it appears that the instructions assume that the quarter panel window interior trim pieces (the upper quarter panel pieces) are installed prior to the installation of the roll bar assembly. However, my understanding based on Ford's x-brace instructions is that that quarter panel window trim piece must be not installed so that the x-brace and related trim pieces can be installed. I'm assuming the x-brace needs to go in last, so that the trunk portions of the roll bar assembly can be installed, so I'm a bit confused at this point.

What portions of the x-brace assembly can be installed before the roll bar parts go in?

The question basically comes down to whether the quarter panel window trim pieces can be installed after the roll bar has been installed (I assume not?...).

I think my question is a bit cryptic - please let me know if I need to clarify, and thanks for reading!

StangLoveR said:
I'm actually a 2011 GT owner, but a great deal of what's on this board is applicable to me, as I've slowly been transforming my GT into a track car.
All Stang Lovers are welcome. ;) You know I've been wondering the same thing as I have a kit in my garage but no roll bar. I'm sure others that have installed both will come along with an answer for you. Be sure to post photos of your GT when you get a chance. There's a few other GT owners here including a couple of Boss clones. It's all good. 8)

603356_10102348290074740_1861244481_n_zpsfe4258a9.jpg
mustang_zpsf2925901.jpg

Attached are a couple pics I have on hand. It'll be a bit of a journey with where I want to go with the car but will be well worth it and a fun ride (no pun intended). Despite my being new (at the time) to driving on a road course my plan with the car from day one was to throw a Whipple on it, so it's on there and I accepted that I have to deal with the consequences (namely keeping the engine healthy and as cool as possible and being careful with the power). So I've had to temporarily forego items like suspension, etc. in favor of keeping the engine happy/healthy, and now I'm working on safety (mind you I've done other things, like brake ducts and other items that are necessary to make the car track worthy).

I'm beyond blown away with how well the car performs on even the stock suspension (as are the others on the track that come by with dropped jaws because of how well the car handles the twisties, at least relative to the mustangs of old!)

Anyway, I love it, and am looking forward to having a lot of fun with it.

NFSBOSS said:
Where do you live and which tracks are you hitting? Safety is important but some suspension mods won't break the bank. In case you missed them:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1769.0

Oh and nice color too. ;)

Thanks for the links! I've been planning for some time to ask you guys here about suspension. I'm planning to jump off the deep end (as opposed to taking the incremental approach as far as my ultimate plans are concerned) and go with coil overs. I'll do a search for such threads and if I don't find anything I'll start a thread (though from what I've seen maybe the folks on here are generally running the M-18000-C's?)

To answer your questions, I live in Houston (Pearland) and run with The Drivers Edge. The tracks we cycle through at the moment are MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, and Texas World Speedway. Though it turns out this coming weekend we're running the Circuit of the Americas (the new F1 circuit in Austin, TX - woo hoo!).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
StangLoveR said:
Thanks for the links! I've been planning for some time to ask you guys here about suspension. I'm planning to jump off the deep end (as opposed to taking the incremental approach as far as my ultimate plans are concerned) and go with coil overs. I'll do a search for such threads and if I don't find anything I'll start a thread (though from what I've seen maybe the folks on here are generally running the M-18000-C's?)

To answer your questions, I live in Houston (Pearland) and run with The Drivers Edge. The tracks we cycle through at the moment are MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, and Texas World Speedway. Though it turns out this coming weekend we're running the Circuit of the Americas (the new F1 circuit in Austin, TX - woo hoo!).

If you're interested in coilovers, I'd get in touch with Vorshlag Motorsports in Plano. They deal primarily in AST damper kits and have done a lot of development work on the S197 sets. http://www.vorshlag.com/

Regarding your questions regarding our Cool tech Roll Bar install - I am happy to help.

The large interior rear side panels are installed simultaneously with the roll bar. Our installation instructions provide you with the cut-out information for both the left and right panels (same cut-out for both sides). So, with these panels trimmed and "loosely in place" and the Cool Tech mounting gussets installed, pass the roll bar in through one side of the car to a helper who is working on the opposite side. Have the helper 1) position the cut-out of the panel around the roll bar; 2) position the seatbelt up and out of the way; 3) keep the panel loosly fitted (but not snapped into place or around the door opening); 4) Set the roll bar onto the newly installed gusset plates. With this done, repeat for your side. You will need to move the panels up and down in order to bolt the roll bar in. Once you've bolted down the main hoop, you can carefully snap these side panels into their final position. Note: These side panels will have NO conflict or "ordering" problem with the remaining RSD components - all of which are easily installed after the roll bar.

I hope this explanation helps!

CoolTechLLC said:
Regarding your questions regarding our Cool tech Roll Bar install - I am happy to help.

The large interior rear side panels are installed simultaneously with the roll bar. Our installation instructions provide you with the cut-out information for both the left and right panels (same cut-out for both sides). So, with these panels trimmed and "loosely in place" and the Cool Tech mounting gussets installed, pass the roll bar in through one side of the car to a helper who is working on the opposite side. Have the helper 1) position the cut-out of the panel around the roll bar; 2) position the seatbelt up and out of the way; 3) keep the panel loosly fitted (but not snapped into place or around the door opening); 4) Set the roll bar onto the newly installed gusset plates. With this done, repeat for your side. You will need to move the panels up and down in order to bolt the roll bar in. Once you've bolted down the main hoop, you can carefully snap these side panels into their final position. Note: These side panels will have NO conflict or "ordering" problem with the remaining RSD components - all of which are easily installed after the roll bar.

I hope this explanation helps!

Thank you for your help! My specific question relates to the large interior trim piece ABOVE the interior trim piece to which you refer above (the one that butts up against the a-pillar and spans back to the bottom of the rear window). The Ford instructions say those need to be out of the car to install the x-brace/seat delete kit.

In what order do the upper interior trim pieces need to be installed?

What parts of the x-brace/seat delete kit are installed before the roll bar goes in?

Edit: as you said, you move the seat belts out of the way as you position the roll bar. However, my seat belts are out of the car because the x-brace/seat delete instructions say to remove the upper interior trim piece which also requires removal of the seat belt. I'm confused as to the ordering of parts going back into the car :D

Holy cow, Ford is making it too hard. The RSD pieces all go in AFTER the roll bar and have NOTHING to do with the side panels and seat belts. The piece immediately behind the x-brace goes in first, then the x-brace, and finally the large L-shaped piece. These parts of the install should be very easy.

TMO Supporting Vendors