The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooltech Rollbar Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So i finally received my Rollbar from Cooltech after a few weeks of back and forth with them on delivery..

I decided to start the installation last saturday around 2 in the afternoon.. I figured it'd take a few hours to install, and it turned out taking about 10 hrs +. It is just about impossible to install by yourself. I had to have my girlfriend help me for a few hours of the install when lining up the bars, and drilling the holes for the fenderwell brackets.

All in all, it is a GREAT product, just a pain to install. I am not doing a detailed 'how to'for this, as i don't have the time, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Romoving it from packaging:
rollbar.jpg

A look at the factory Gussets that have to be removed:
factorygussets.jpg

New Cooltech Gussets Installed:
cooltechgussets.jpg

Marking interior panel to trim:
paneltrimming.jpg

Trimmed Interior Panel:
trimmedpanel.jpg

Main hoop installed (bolts not tightened):
mainhoop.jpg

Main hoop and rear supports installed:
mainhoopwithrearsuports.jpg

A view of the rollbar cross connects in the trunk:
trunkview.jpg

Finished install, with rear seat delete panel trimmed and re-installed:
CooltechComplete.jpg

Picture of the harnesses and clips installed:
Harnesses.jpg

isrboss

Very good choice, great product! I checked this roll bar out at Sebring last month, a LS Boss owner walked me through his install. He also stated having a second set of hands is required. I'm too much of a chicken to do a roll bar now under full warranty, but if the Boss stays in the family, it will get one for sure.

isrboss said:
Very good choice, great product! I checked this roll bar out at Sebring last month, a LS Boss owner walked me through his install. He also stated having a second set of hands is required. I'm too much of a chicken to do a roll bar now under full warranty, but if the Boss stays in the family, it will get one for sure.

We ordered three from Cooltech a few weeks back. My brother has a 2012 Yellow Blaze and my dad has a 2013 SBY LS.. i was the 'guinnea pig' and installed mine first on my Race Red. My dad is installing his this week in his LS. I told them i don't want to install another one.. but wouldn't mind helping them.. haha. It's definitely worth it if you're going to do a lot of track driving! Harenesses are a must, to keep the driver planted and not having to worry about 'holding on' as you're going around corners on the track!!

isrboss

SC BOSS said:
We ordered three from Cooltech a few weeks back. My brother has a 2012 Yellow Blaze and my dad has a 2013 SBY LS.. i was the 'guinnea pig' and installed mine first on my Race Red. My dad is installing his this week in his LS. I told them i don't want to install another one.. but wouldn't mind helping them.. haha. It's definitely worth it if you're going to do a lot of track driving! Harenesses are a must, to keep the driver planted and not having to worry about 'holding on' as you're going around corners on the track!!

That's funny I started to laugh as I read this sentence, then seen your haha. I feel your pain, one lengthy tedious install is usually enough for me. I agree that if you plan on spending a lot of time on track, it is a welcomed addition. I'm purposely staying on street tires, so I don't get too much lateral forces on me yet. If and when I decide to step it up, it will be brakes, tires, roll bar and harnesses. Happy apex bro!

Thanks ISRBOSS.. My first choice of colors was WHITE for my boss.. however when i went to pick up my white one from the dealer, they failed to tell me the the 'brand new' white boss had 330 miles on it already.. so i took the race red one they had instead with 9 miles on it! Still wishing i had white, but i enjoy my red BOSS as well!

Luke

isrboss

SC BOSS said:
Thanks ISRBOSS.. My first choice of colors was WHITE for my boss.. however when i went to pick up my white one from the dealer, they failed to tell me the the 'brand new' white boss had 330 miles on it already.. so i took the race red one they had instead with 9 miles on it! Still wishing i had white, but i enjoy my red BOSS as well!

Luke

That's weird, mine had an unusually high amount of delivery miles! Not over 40, but I was not going to settle for anything else but white. Red is my old favorite, you can get a crazy wet look to a detail with red.

I wrote a supplement "How To" in this forum. Installation tips to make the installation faster and easier through lessons learned. Yes, it took me about 12 hours to do mine in two days. Here is the link: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4363.0
Feel free to add any other tips to help fellow BMO members out in the future. Good luck to all on your installs.

Looking good. I'm not sure if I'll ever install a roll bar but if I do I might just drive down to Maximum Motorsports or Cooltech and have them install it. ::)

Those who have installed the Cooltech rollbar, you have to remove the door sill plates to get the rear side trim panels out. When you remove the sill plates the mounting clips stay in the rocker panel and do not come out with the sill plate. To reinstall the sill plates you have to get the clips out of the rocker panel, not an issue. The issue is getting them back on the tabs on the plastic sill plate. The clips seem to have barbs on them that dig into the plastic sill plate. How do you spread the barbs to get them back on the plastic tabs without breaking them? Or am I missing something very easy here to get them back on. This is an excellent combination as I have a white rollbar & rear seat delete in my Kona Blue Boss. I agree it is very tricky to install and definitely need 2 people especially one with small hands. Thanks in advance for the advice.

So my solution for staying planted in my seat is not protective like a roll bar or very sexy, but it does work! So, my solution.... I use one of those baby car seat seat belt locks (little "H" shaped pieces of metal) that is designed to lock the seat belt tight across the car seat. It holds the lower lap belt TIGHT across my hips and by butt in the seat without any issues. Again it's not as protective as the roll bar, and it doesn't keep my back in the seat, but the recaros do a good job with that, but it works pretty good for a free solution!

GOT SVT said:
looks great

what color roll bar did your dad order for his?

My dad's Leguna Seca rollbar is Sterling Grey to match the Factory X Brace/Rear Seat delete.. i want to take mine out (which is grey) and get it powder coated RED to match.. When i ordered my rear seat delete, they only offered it in sterling grey (as the Red x brace was discontinued).

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
do you happen to know if the stock rear seats will go back in with this roll bar?

It looks like you probably could squeeze it in there...but it will probably bend the crap out of the sides of the backrests as the bar going into the trunk will be in the way.

As far as getting the door sill plates back in, you are right. Only one clip came out and the rest were ripped out of the clips. I just ensured all the teeth in the clip were pointing down, and then carefully placed the door sill plate back into them. Seemed to work, but it definitely does a number on the door sill plastic tabs!

TMO Supporting Vendors