The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Corbeau Harness bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anybody using one of these and a 4-point harness? I can't get the factory belts tight enough even with all the tricks one can do. Was wondering if the bar would be too much in the way for my 6-year-old son to get into and use the back seat with the bar in. Thoughts?

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
I just installed it in my car and used it at the track...worked great.

431816_10201136762404751_1270379746_n.jpg

Corbeau002_zps8f8f0ca7.png

isrboss

I did a copy/paste from my post off the other forum :D

OP, truthfully, these harness bars are for show only to me. I would strongly recommend only using a roll bar with a 4 point harness while on a road course. If you get sideways off track and roll while harnessed in you will need the roll bar to stop the roof from crushing into your head/neck. The harness belt will not allow your upper half to go sideways, and with the harness bar your chance of a fatal roll goes way up.

I would recommend to research CG Lock instead. I use it, although it does not help laterally, it does keeps me in place during braking.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
I don't focus on the harness bar for structural protection, I use it to anchor the harnesses which keeps me planted in the seat, and it does a good job of that.

I was planning on just using the harness to keep me planted in the seat as well. Can you use the car's seat belt at the same time? Seen a lot of Vette guys at the track using them. I looked into g-lock when I was autocrossing my 2011 gt, but that car had power seats that I could adjust after I had the seat belt locked in to get me super tight! I tried my old tricks with my non-power Recaros and they don't work. I'll look at g-lock again.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
jlwdvm said:
I was planning on just using the harness to keep me planted in the seat as well. Can you use the car's seat belt at the same time? Seen a lot of Vette guys at the track using them. I looked into g-lock when I was autocrossing my 2011 gt, but that car had power seats that I could adjust after I had the seat belt locked in to get me super tight! I tried my old tricks with my non-power Recaros and they don't work. I'll look at g-lock again.
Yes you can use your stock seat belt still, i keep mine installed all the time, and no there is no cutting required

Tulsa, OK
isrboss said:
I did a copy/paste from my post off the other forum :D

OP, truthfully, these harness bars are for show only to me. I would strongly recommend only using a roll bar with a 4 point harness while on a road course. If you get sideways off track and roll while harnessed in you will need the roll bar to stop the roof from crushing into your head/neck. The harness belt will not allow your upper half to go sideways, and with the harness bar your chance of a fatal roll goes way up.

I would recommend to research CG Lock instead. I use it, although it does not help laterally, it does keeps me in place during braking.

I completely agree. I would even take it a step further and say you need at least a 5 point harness to keep you from submarining during an accident. I know that no one ever plans on wrecking while on track but it can happen. And when things go bad on track they happen very quickly.

j3st3r and I discussed this briefly on another forum not too long ago. Basically you have to decide how much risk you are willing to accept while tracking your car. If you know the risks of your setup and are comfortable with them that's great. For me personally, I won't track a car with harnesses unless it has a roll bar.

To answer OP: When I bought my car it had this harness bar in it, and the stock seatbelts still work fine. As far as having a passenger in the rear seat, I don't know how comfortable I'd be with that. If you get into an accident, there's a lot of metal back there that they might make contact with.

{can of worms opens up} ::) Here we go again.

To the Op, the submarine belt clips into the frame the same place the lap belts clip, but they feed between the seat back and seat bottom, run under the buttocks, and clip up, for your 6 point. Much better than 4 point.

Probably gonna go with the CG-Lock for now. I have another track day coming up in August.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
The CG Lock looks like a great device. But why not just go on Ebay or Amazon and order a seatbelt lock from a child car seat for $5 - $8 that does the exact same thing.

CG lock works great as advertised and with a lifetime warranty its a nice cheap way to go before you do a actual roll bar and harness setup. I've used one in my 04 svtf and 03 cobra. One came apart and a spring flew out. I need to send it back to be replaced so I'll have two for the boss. only issue I ever had was the belt not wanting to retract with the added weight and it swinging back and hitting interior parts if you dont pay attention.

TMO Supporting Vendors