Cortex diff cover instructions

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by docs302, Apr 19, 2019.

1. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

Does anyone who has installed the Cortex cover still have the instructions handy? I lost the instructions and Cortex hasn't answered email or message. I would really like to get it done tomorrow. I just need to know the specs for tightening the cover bolts, bearing cap bolts and special sequence if there is one.

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

The instructions for the watts link should have the cover install instructions within.

3. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

The watts link instructions basically say put the cover on according to the instructions that came in the box with the cover. Nothing specific. I remember reading much more detail in the instructions that came with the cover. There were specific details about the bearing cap support bolts and how much torque is required.

4. Pitt302

Pitt302 TMO Advanced

1. Use Ultra Grey High Temperature Gasket Maker, Do not use a gasket. Make sure to use thread sealant. Back load bolts out to clear the bearing caps but do not remove them .Bolt & washer. Diff cover 25 FT-Lbs.Max. Screw the two load bolts in by hand until they make contact with bearing caps. Torque the load bolts to 5 Ft/LBS ( 60 in/lbs. ) Max. then snug the jamb nuts to lock the load bolts. Wait for sealant to cure before filling , fill until it comes out factory fill hole , approx. 3.25 quarts. Also torque in stages maybe 12 ft/lbs , then finish at 25 Ft/lbs. tighten it like a wheel , you cant go wrong.

5. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

6. Pitt302

Pitt302 TMO Advanced

If your installing a Torque Arm the 5 lower bolts will be replaced with new longer 5/16"-18 x 1.75" bolts.

7. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Not sure if the Watts link cover is different due to the loads on it but the LubeLocker diff gasket had been leak free and a LOT quicker & easier.

Grant 302, steeda5 and TymeSlayer like this.
  8. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Unless you have a diff catch can, I would recommend filling to 1/4 inch below the factory fill hole. Otherwise you may have the typical fluid leak from the axle vent.

I use a zip tie with about 1/2-inch of the tip bent 90° as a dipstick.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  9. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

Thank you everyone. That's what I was looking for. I do have the Cotex diff breather set up. I was going to use the LubeLocker gasket that I currently had but Kurt at Phoenix told me not to and also recommended the Permatex Ultra Grey which I have. Looks like I'm ready to go.

10. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Nothing wrong with the lubelocker as I've used it twice with no issues whatsoever.

11. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Is the concern with the lubelocker and the watt that the cover may move a bit? Silicone may limit movement better.

12. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Here is something that covers the torque sequence. The Drake cover is like the FRPP cover.

Attached Files: