The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cortex Floating Axle and Rear Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
IMO, $6K is a lot to pay for "aesthetics" can't you just bolt a set of Brembos on the rear of the stock axle?

I appreciate the feedback @blacksheep-1 and @ArizonaBOSS, but the cost is not really a factor in the question. It is as much an engineering question as anything. The Cortex system opens many brake options but due to hat clearance not all setups work.

For instance, in their own testing the GT350 rear setup would not work on the S197 Cortex axle due to rotor hat depth.

I also have the issue of a parking brake requirement. You noted the poor quality control of Wilwood which leaves only mechanical options. Those have limited mounting locations compared to electric.

My brake system question is in a similar vein to a ‘dream’ engine build that has been asked by others. There are always going to be parts or components that can get the job done for less but carry a compromise (some small - some large). If you were only to choose the best components, what would you get?

With that in mind, if you have a ‘13 Boss that is used primarily for weekend drives in the mountains with occasional sprit events, and must maintain low NVH and a parking brake, what is the best front and rear brake system possible beyond OEM?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman,

just out of curiosity did you ship Cortex your stock axle or did pay for them to supply one?
I’m currently racing on my stock axel so I had to get a modified one from them.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Ahh ok if I do I was going to have Phoenix do the work since there close to me in PA.
Install it or do you mean modify the axle? There is a lot of fab work that must be done in a dedicated fixture.
I don't know if they have that capability, but its possible. @blacksheep-1 should know.

I had a convo with them yesterday and if I choose to do it when the weather gets colder I drop my car to them and they get it done using my axle. From the impression I got (and I’m not 100 percent sure) they have someone they use with a jig and the equipment to fab it and they install it when it’s done.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel