The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Costco - Mobil 1 Sale $4.67/ qt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That’s a good buy. I usually buy at Wal-Mart. Pretty close to that price. Wish I could get oil for my engine that cheap. No luck.
I got lucky with the mustang - oil cap says 5w20 so that's what I'll do. My Jeep runs 5w20 also so already had a partial stash. I see all the kill a dead horse oil threads 5w20 vs 5w50 vs brand.... I figure if I change the oil with a good quality synthetic and good filter before an event and frequently if street use that's what matters most... My chainsaw forums do the same thing with 2cycle with brands and ratio... I don't know what viscosity you're running but probably one of those fun numbers that always cost more just because it's different than mainstream. Probably doesn't cost much more to manufacture other than lower volume runs and lower volume pretty stickers. One thing that I've done for fun with 2cycle oli is pull the msds's in various brands. It's funny how there can be some with the exact info and formulated / bottled at the same company with the same bottles. Who knows if the exact recipe is the same thought. I always wonder how much brand name or the color of an oil really runs a price up.

I use this...solid flat tappet cam.

View attachment 62394
Wow $65! Found it for $45 and free shipping over 99. 3 for almost the price of 2. Your bottle does not list zinc but can only finding one Lucas part number for the synthetic racing 10w-30. I hope this is a good deal for you!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
That is a good deal for a single. I can typically find it on eBay for around $135-$140 for a three pack.

I think I have only seen their ZDDP numbers posted on some of their TDS/MSDS documents. It’s pretty high.

The only other oil I have found with similar but lower levels of ZDDP is Mobil 1 15W50, but that stuff is like molasses. Lots of vintage guys run it in street engines and I have as well. I like the Lucas products in general.

That is a good deal for a single. I can typically find it on eBay for around $135-$140 for a three pack.

I think I have only seen their ZDDP numbers posted on some of their TDS/MSDS documents. It’s pretty high.

The only other oil I have found with similar but lower levels of ZDDP is Mobil 1 15W50, but that stuff is like molasses. Lots of vintage guys run it in street engines and I have as well. I like the Lucas products in general.
You had me thinking about the zinc and was wondering if there was a way to pick an oil and add zinc. The racing oil is $9ish bucks a quart say x 6 - 10 ( $54-90) / change. Good synthetic oil 5.50/qt x 6-10 ($33-55 + 12ish or the lucas additive $42-67) change. I'm not say to do it. Just another avenue if someone wanted to save a couple bucks.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338634152&icep_item=251569867621.
Using the lucas link above 8oz additive takes 4.75 qts to 3000 ppm The racing oil is just a tad over 3000. A little algebra and someone could titrate the # if oz of additive specific to quart requirements of a specific engine. Ya I think too much.....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have heard horror stories about using zinc additives. I have a 1969 corvette that I drive less than 500 miles a year. Should I run a modern synthetic with a zinc additive or go with the “Old Engine” oils I see advertised??

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I have heard horror stories about using zinc additives. I have a 1969 corvette that I drive less than 500 miles a year. Should I run a modern synthetic with a zinc additive or go with the “Old Engine” oils I see advertised??

Mobil 1 Synthetic with ZDDP is the general consensus on small block Fords as far as I know. My engine machinist recommends it. Seems a bit cheaper than the Lucas "Hot Rod" oil.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel