The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CoTA (Circuit of the Americas) - June 7th - 9th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
One of the cool things about being an instructor, and giving back what you (most likely) received from others in the sport, is that once in a while, a great opportunity comes up.

I'll be at CoTA in Austin Texas this weekend (Friday through Sunday) instructing with BMWCCA at their Texas Trifecta event. I only saw one other Mustang registered (Loran) and I'm actually garaged with him, but maybe I'll get to see some of you on my trip from Colorado to Texas.

I'll definitely have my GoPro with me and will do my best to get internet worthy track footage!

If you see a Jeep Cherokee go flying by you with a CO Boss 302 in tow, wave hello... and pass me some Mt. Dew :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:
What's the going rate for a CoTA weekend nowadays?

$$$$

I think it was $800 for the 2 day weekend for HPDE (BMWCCA). Instructors were not free, but were highly discounted (think it was $300 for 3 days).

The real 'cost' comes if you mess up and break something, soil something or set something on fire.... COTA fines are pretty hefty from what I've heard. Lots of warnings associated with this event.

JScheier said:
One of the cool things about being an instructor, and giving back what you (most likely) received from others in the sport, is that once in a while, a great opportunity comes up.

I'll be at CoTA in Austin Texas this weekend (Friday through Sunday) instructing with BMWCCA at their Texas Trifecta event. I only saw one other Mustang registered (Loran) and I'm actually garaged with him, but maybe I'll get to see some of you on my trip from Colorado to Texas.

I'll definitely have my GoPro with me and will do my best to get internet worthy track footage!

If you see a Jeep Cherokee go flying by you with a CO Boss 302 in tow, wave hello... and pass me some Mt. Dew :)
Sounds like a blast! Glad to see you and Loran represent ;)

JScheier said:
The real 'cost' comes if you mess up and break something, soil something or set something on fire.... COTA fines are pretty hefty from what I've heard. Lots of warnings associated with this event.
You mean it's not surrounded by green alfalfa?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
You mean it's not surrounded by green alfalfa?

Apparently not... unless it's gold-plated green alfalfa! All I can say is, don't let George get a look at the price sheet.... his armco is WAY more affordable :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
$$$$

I think it was $800 for the 2 day weekend for HPDE (BMWCCA). Instructors were not free, but were highly discounted (think it was $300 for 3 days).

That's about what I figured. I might try to hit one of these in 2014 sometime...

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Lots of carnage today...starting with me. Lost the ability to shift on the fourth lap of the warmup session. Sounds like either a clutch or pressure plate piece(s) rattling around and (apparently) jamming the car in gear. Tapped the case with a hammer and was able to drive around paddock. Stopped and then couldn't get going again. Managed to get the car on the trailer, but no local shop / dealer could get the car done before Monday, so I'm out for the rest of the weekend. I'll still be here instructing and catching rides with the BMW Performance Driving team who is here with a fleet of M5's and 650 Gran Coupe'.

At least 3 race cars met the walls or each other in the first race. A couple of blown motors, broken transmissions and dead brakes.

CoTA is an awesome track and fantastic facility...but it is definitely not for novices or overly aggressive drivers... Several places to get bitten HARD!

JScheier said:
Lots of carnage today...starting with me. Lost the ability to shift on the fourth lap of the warmup session. Sounds like either a clutch or pressure plate piece(s) rattling around and (apparently) jamming the car in gear. Tapped the case with a hammer and was able to drive around paddock. Stopped and then couldn't get going again. Managed to get the car on the trailer, but no local shop / dealer could get the car done before Monday, so I'm out for the rest of the weekend. I'll still be here instructing and catching rides with the BMW Performance Driving team who is here with a fleet of M5's and 650 Gran Coupe'.

At least 3 race cars met the walls or each other in the first race. A couple of blown motors, broken transmissions and dead brakes.

CoTA is an awesome track and fantastic facility...but it is definitely not for novices or overly aggressive drivers... Several places to get bitten HARD!
Bummer. Sounds similar to when Gary lost a pressure plate spring. Good luck getting it fixed. Don't forget about this thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2934.0

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Funny - I actually called Gary from the track. He answered the phone and immediately started to try and sell me furniture. Slick guy... almost fell for it.

His problem was similar to mine with the exception that my clutch pedal did not stick to the floor.

JScheier said:
Lots of carnage today...starting with me.

Sorry to hear about this. Yeah, the dealer probably couldn't get you in, because they are replacing MY transmission. Sell you furniture? Hell, I'll sell you a cheap MT82. Only 20K miles. Like new! ;)

If I weren't afoot, I might have tried to catch-up with you one evening for a pint. Maybe some other time. Hope you have a good day at the track today, even if it isn't in your own car.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Just a follow-up: Dealer called today. One of the clutch springs had "removed itself from the clutch plate" and was the cause of the problem. They will be covering it under warranty and I should have the car back next Friday (parts are on back-order and will be coming directly from the supplier). They are keeping the car indoors, which relieves me as the weather here in Colorado has been nuts lately.

GA
JScheier said:

I guess COTA is trying to one-up Barber. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors