The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Couldn't order what I wanted but found the next best thing! Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
And so it begins...
As I already mentioned in another thread, I use nothing but Mobil 1 100% synthetic oil and have already added both oil separators as well as a high flow synthetic air filter.
I do have a MPVI3 but am still waiting on doing a tune, given the 10R80 has some odd moments and I am deciding if I want to take it in and potentially get the valvebody fix done under warranty.
Being that this is my DD, I also added an OE navigation module, due to the insane traffic conditions around here at times.
As titled, I was not able to order what I wanted but I'm working on adding the HP parts and/or Ford Performance upgrades.
Ordered a set of HP Wheels (Black Friday sale from a 3rd party parts company) and am now working and waiting to get that all sorted out (FPP boxed 3 fronts and only 1 rear >.<)
Already added the front wheel-well moldings and rear spats just to keep paint chips down.
Also have the HP rear spoiler that I will be adding, once I decide if I want to paint it or leave it gloss black.
Best of all I am scheduled for Ford Performance Racing Schools Mach 1 Track Attack at Charlotte Motor Speedway (ROVAL) in May! I opted for the 2nd day in a FRPP prepped GT (also upgraded to the Cup 2 tires) with 5 x 20-25 minute actual track sessions so that should be a blast!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
So time for the Driver mod...
The Ford Mach 1 Track Attack (free day for buying a new Mach 1) was pretty fun!
CharlotteFinishLine.jpg
Driving the Mach 1 HP on Charlotte Motor Speedway!

They use the Roval to allow you to flex the handling capabilities! (and keep you from hitting the speed limiter imho)
During the morning instruction sessions, they are basically looking at driver abilities to group people of similar abilities.
Skid car was fun, drifting comes natural to me as I lived and drove in the snow belt most of my life before finally moving to Texas!

Threshold braking section was also really fun and I hit about 105MPH on my best pass still stopping well within the braking area, these cars stop really well with the 305 and 315s! NOTE: They did NOT have Cup2s on them! They ran the Pilot Sport A4's (same as I have put on mine)
Telemetry
Telemetry.jpg

During the handling course (autocross course) I had to stop and wait as I caught up to the previous car after a lap and a half!
They start 1 car then once they are at a 1/2 lap they start the second car (mirror kahana concept). Think there was a total of 6 laps on this course and they run you through each of the drive modes for a lap
CaughtUp.jpg
And then had to wait for them come around behind me...
Waiting.jpg

The following track day according to my fitbit my heart rate was actually lower driving the FRPP 2015 GT than it was driving the Mach 1!
2015_FRPP_GT.jpg

Hats off to Ford for putting these track events together!
ThumbsUp.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Oh and yes I did finally get the HP wheels issues sorted out and put the Pilot Sport A4s' on them 305/30/19 front and 315/30/19 rear.
Also have the front wheel lips:
NewWheelsAndTires.jpg
Forgot to mention the wheel cap center spinners (I got tired of upside down ponys on the wheels)
There is quite a difference between the original 275/40/19 and the new 315/30/19
275v315.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang, cool pictures and interesting to see a Silver Mach 1 like mine running around Charlotte. Well, since it is up for Sale it won't be mine in the future, but what caught my attention is I run number 22 at the track, so it almost seemed like I was running in NC. Of course I have a CF hood and I can't imagine running on those little bicycle tires yours originally came with. You will really find a world of difference with the 315s. I currently have PS4Ss on my Mach, with 305s on the front and 315s in the rear, but are you going square? Good choice if you are and if you haven't gotten 25mm spacers that are on sale at OP Mustang at 25% off right now. Great pics and I imagine you had a blast!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel