The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Couple questions on the MGW shifter...again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that you guys could help me with your expertise. I know there are a few of these threads around asking about the MGW Shifter, but I was hoping to add one more. It seems like most of you have traded out the old shifter for the MGW, and it seems now that I almost want to do the same but have some questions before I do.

1. when some of you guys describe noise coming from the new shifter, is it road noise or is the noise coming from when you are putting it into gear?

2. I have always thought the new stock shifter was great except for recently when I am starting to have my doubts. it seems like when I shift and put it into gear the shifter feels, um i guess you can say a little spungy, and occasionally it has now started popping me out of second, will the MGW fix that or is that another issue?

3. As far as putting it into reverse, is it still the push down and move over for the lock, or do you just move it over and into reverse. also is there ever a problem accidentily putting it into reverse when you are trying to move it into first? hasnt happened yet but just wondering.

I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible, but I guess a little change is good if it is in the right direction. I guess also good for the soul. ::)

Any answers would be much appreciated, and thank you in advanced.

1.It's just the harmonic's coming through the solid aluminum body of the mgw shifter.It's not that much loader than stock.
2.It does help engauge the gears better as I had a problem with mine popping out of first and the mgw has all but eliminated the problem.
3.The reverse is the same as a stock shifter.There's no way to engauge reverse by accident.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
cali-NT54 said:
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that you guys could help me with your expertise. I know there are a few of these threads around asking about the MGW Shifter, but I was hoping to add one more. It seems like most of you have traded out the old shifter for the MGW, and it seems now that I almost want to do the same but have some questions before I do.

1. when some of you guys describe noise coming from the new shifter, is it road noise or is the noise coming from when you are putting it into gear?

2. I have always thought the new stock shifter was great except for recently when I am starting to have my doubts. it seems like when I shift and put it into gear the shifter feels, um i guess you can say a little spungy, and occasionally it has now started popping me out of second, will the MGW fix that or is that another issue?

3. As far as putting it into reverse, is it still the push down and move over for the lock, or do you just move it over and into reverse. also is there ever a problem accidentily putting it into reverse when you are trying to move it into first? hasnt happened yet but just wondering.

I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible, but I guess a little change is good if it is in the right direction. I guess also good for the soul. ::)

Any answers would be much appreciated, and thank you in advanced.

Concerning noise. I have not noticed an increase in noise with the MGW. My restrictor plates are removed which could explain why I do not hear a difference.

When you swap out the stock shifter for the MGW you will immediately see why the stock shifter "Feels Spongy". The two bushings ford uses front and rear on the shift rod are sponges for lack of a better term. They do a great job isolating the noise and vibration of the drivetrain from the shifter lever.

I also want to keep a stock appearance as possible. The MGW can be installed the first time in under 3 hours. You can reverese the process in the same amount of time. Order the stock sized shaft and the shifter boot and knob fit exactly as stock. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Enjoy your boss.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I have the heat shield also installed, which supersedes the need to install the Dynomat insulation at install time. I've heard no additional noise after my install. I do have my side pipes open, but with windows closed I'd assume I would hear something if it was there.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I think it's a good idea. Check their installation video, it provides both heat and sound insulation and the price isn't that aggressive. Given the total cost of the mod (about $500 with shifter, new shift ball if you wish, heat shield, jam nut) it was very well worth it in my mind.

TMO Supporting Vendors