The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cracked Piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I guess I can put an end to this thread now. I have had the car back from the body shop now for 1200 miles and all is good. The engine has been perfect since the engine change. I have been checking the oil once a week and it hasnt dropped a bit. No noises or engine codes. Time for a road trip. Will anybody be in Vegas for Nascar in March? I am heading up from L.A.

zzyzx

Steve
^^ Great news!

Not so good news (for me)... I now hear some "ticking" that seems to be coming from the right (passenger side) cylinder bank.

Stupid question: Which cylinder is #3?

As easy at it is to Google and find firing order, I have yet to find a diagram that shows me which physical cylinder is what number.

Any help appreciated!

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
This thread takes me back to 1972, when I had to replace the pistons on my 1970 Boss 302. The factory TRW pistons had a thin skirt that fractured over time, starting out as a clicking noise that would eventually escalate to a full catastrophic failure. Had that happen on the freeway and the result was not pretty. Like now, Ford dithered about replacing some of the motors because the standard warranty period was much shorter back then.

SeattleBoss said:
This thread takes me back to 1972, when I had to replace the pistons on my 1970 Boss 302. The factory TRW pistons had a thin skirt that fractured over time, starting out as a clicking noise that would eventually escalate to a full catastrophic failure. Had that happen on the freeway and the result was not pretty. Like now, Ford dithered about replacing some of the motors because the standard warranty period was much shorter back then.
Welcome to BMO. Do you still have your 1970 Boss? If so post up some photos. :)

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
Yes, I still have Big Red. Here is a shot of the two ponies.
Bothponies_zps2f8f6d06.jpg

Love both of these cars, but they couldn't be more different. The old one has no power steering, no air, rides like a wagon, and I have to slip the clutch to get it away from a stoplight and baby it until the power kicks in at about 4K. Still, I can't wait for it to warm up so I can take her out.

One thing I've found so far, is that they both turns heads from young and old. It will be interesting to see them side by side in the first car show this spring.

Bay Area
SeattleBoss said:
Yes, I still have Big Red. Here is a shot of the two ponies.

Love both of these cars, but they couldn't be more different. The old one has no power steering, no air, rides like a wagon, and I have to slip the clutch to get it away from a stoplight and baby it until the power kicks in at about 4K. Still, I can't wait for it to warm up so I can take her out.

One thing I've found so far, is that they both turns heads from young and old. It will be interesting to see them side by side in the first car show this spring.

Did you remove or replace your antenna?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
SeattleBoss said:
Yes, I still have Big Red.

There isn't much in this world that makes me truly jealous...but I admit envy for the guy who have matching Bosses and are 1st owners for both. 8) Good luck at that car show!

I really wished Ford would brought back the shaker hood. I thought that was one of the huge plus's ford added on the boss. Especially since they brought it back on the mach 1 remake.

You have a pair of awesome boss's! :) Love to see more pictures.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
To answer the last few posts,

When I took the photo I had just brought the car home and hadn't even installed the antenna.

I'm actually the 2nd owner of the 1970 Boss. It had about 16K on it when I bought it in 1972. I think I paid $1600 for it.

It would be sweet to have the Shaker on the new Boss to match. That might be a project somewhere down the road.

It's been pretty wet for the past week, so if I can catch some sun I'll definitely take and post some additional photos.

SeattleBoss said:
Yes, I still have <a id="ov_0_35600803486887456" class="ov_intext_trigger" onmouseover="window.ov_in.hover(this)" onmousemove="window.ov_in.movement()" onclick="window.ov_in.click(this)" style="color:#277dfd!important;border-bottom:3px double #277dfd!important;text-decoration:none!important;" href="#!0.9683300219097648">Big Red.</a> Here is a shot of the two ponies.

Love both of these <a id="ov_0_0914377353812017" class="ov_intext_trigger" onmouseover="window.ov_in.hover(this)" onmousemove="window.ov_in.movement()" onclick="window.ov_in.click(this)" style="color:#277dfd!important;border-bottom:3px double #277dfd!important;text-decoration:none!important;" href="#!0.8190966368914852">cars</a> , but they couldn't be more different. The old one has no power steering, no air, rides like a wagon, and I have to slip the clutch to get it away from a stoplight and baby it until the power kicks in at about 4K. Still, I can't wait for it to warm up so I can take her out.

My jealousy is extremely high right now.

Well I thought I would just update the status of the new engine. I have put 5,000 on since it was replaced in Nov. and it has had no issues. Seems to be burning less oil also. Have had to add 1 quart so far. I purposely ran it for 5,000 to check oil consumption and will now change it.

BLAZN BOSS

My car was delivered on Aug 2011...........Broke it in easy............no hard driving for about 1000...........short jaunts. Transmission is smooth as glass............Engine oil was changed when the car said it had 10% life left...about 8000 miles if i remember right. Used ford oil and filter for the change, dealer did it. Car never used any oil and still hasn't. I guess Im lucky, it has right a 11 K now and knock on wood no problems at all.

Well Blazn you are lucky. Even though I have had a lot of issues with this car I still love it! I am not sure about the rest of the Bosses out there but mine only seems to burn oil when I get on her real hard and run it close to the red line. I normally drive with the windows down being in Southern Cal and can smell the oil from the side pipes after a good spirited run. To me it smells just like if you were at a Nascar race. So that usually triggers me to check the oil when I get home.

TMO Supporting Vendors