The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cracked Piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine only made the noise for a day or 2 before it completely let go. It also didn't make the noise constantly. This is the first engine I have ever had issues with as far as piston or valve problems so I guess I didn't recognize the true cause of the noise. I thought it was a loose exhaust so I thought I had time to check it out myself.

Hambone said:
Mine only made the noise for a day or 2 before it completely let go. It also didn't make the noise constantly. This is the first engine I have ever had issues with as far as piston or valve problems so I guess I didn't recognize the true cause of the noise. I thought it was a loose exhaust so I thought I had time to check it out myself.

Yeah it is pretty rare for a piston to let go but manufacturing defects happen to everything once in a while. Good to hear Ford is going to make you happy.

Well my engine has been pushed back to Dec. 4th. Sounds like it will be a 2013 engine right off the assy. line. At least they have the car in the maintenance bay on the rack because it is starting to rain here in socal. I am hoping to get it back and running by the 21st because I have a week off and wanted to take her for a road trip.

Had some ticking on right side when cold. Figured it was typical of loose exhaust system bolts somewhere, and also remembered Cloud 9 saying some time ago that he had a loose bolt around the H pipe connections. Took car into dealer this week prior to putting it away for the winter this weekend. Asked that they inspect and torque all exhaust system - headers to the mufflers. They found some header bolts were loose on the passenger-side bank of cylinders during the inspection. Now, no more ticking.

Suggest everyone check their header bolts and other exhaust system connection bolts now and again. Especially if you've not done this since you got your car.

Wow lucky Friday! My dealer just called and said the engine showed up today. Going down tomorrow morning and take a look. The weekend is starting off good.

Happy Friday! Picked up the Boss yesterday after the engine change about 6PM. Drove it around untill midnight! Put 100 miles on the new engine. I have to say it was very hard to keep it under 4000 rpm. It sounds feels and smells awesome. I am so going to rip it this weekend. Hug a Vet today for Pearl Harbor Day!

The only thing I can't figure out is if the engine is a new 2013 build or a 2012. The P/N CR3Z6006D does not show up with all of the searches I have done and the service tech thinks its a 2012 engine. Anyone know anything on this number?

Ahah! I went back and read 07sgt0547"s comment on his engine change and it looks like the D may be the latest rev. If so I would like to know what is different. Sounds like some of you guys are in the know with Ford maybe you can do some research. It would be much appreciated.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Glad to hear you are back on the road, can't imagine what I would have done if my engine blew up, I'm sure the wife would somehow blame me for doing something stupid... :eek:

Hambone said:
The only thing I can't figure out is if the engine is a new 2013 build or a 2012. The P/N CR3Z6006D does not show up with all of the searches I have done and the service tech thinks its a 2012 engine. Anyone know anything on this number?

Oue engines have a date in the front of the block,(build date?) just behind where the distributor would be on a 289/302 , (sort of reminds me of the area where the front intake gasket or rtv would go on a 289/302),but well in front of the intake on our engines , mine was made on my wifes birthday 2/15/12

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hambone said:
Ahah! I went back and read 07sgt0547"s comment on his engine change and it looks like the D may be the latest rev. If so I would like to know what is different. Sounds like some of you guys are in the know with Ford maybe you can do some research. It would be much appreciated.

Does yours have the front cover with the independent belt for the AC compressor, or the unified serpentine belt?
Edit: Sorry, the updated cover still uses two separate belts; with the updated cover the AC belt now has an idler pulley and also a tensioner. The original setup is just a direct belt to the AC compressor using a "stretchy" belt to maintain tension.

Its been a great weekend so far. I do see a date on the block that says 9-19-12 right below the intake where it meets the manifold and right behind that is a SK on the block not sure what that stands for. It does have 2 belts just like the manual shows. Not sure what you mean by front cover.

If the replacement engine was built after Feb. 2012, you will get the updated ring set to improve high rpm oil consumption. There was also a slight change in the piston ring groove machining to work with the new rings. Good luck. I also have a small tick in my engine, so I'm probably going to run by the dealer and have them document this, just in case.

Well so much for my good luck lasting. The car was running great and then last Monday I had it parked on the street over night and went to get in it Tuesday morning around 6:00 and some yahoo had used the drivers side as a guardrail during the night. There had to be 100 cars parked on the same street and he picked the Boss to hit. It is now in the body shop for 6k worth of repairs. I think my car is haunted. The strange thing is I have woken up 3 times in the last week at exactly 4:44 A.M. I think I will name her Christine.

Hambone said:
Well so much for my good luck lasting. The car was running great and then last Monday I had it parked on the street over night and went to get in it Tuesday morning around 6:00 and some yahoo had used the drivers side as a guardrail during the night. There had to be 100 cars parked on the same street and he picked the Boss to hit. It is now in the body shop for 6k worth of repairs. I think my car is haunted. The strange thing is I have woken up 3 times in the last week at exactly 4:44 A.M. I think I will name her Christine.
Bummer. Good luck with the repairs.

Wierd thing My monthly payment 444, engine wieght 444, horse power 444, first 302 seen in the wild buy me 4,440 miles.

Hambone said:
I know how you feel. A deer hit my 2007 Mustang Shelby GT Clone after 25k miles/4 years without as much as a door ding. It took out the windshield, A-pillar, B-pillar and the C-pillar, 5k in damages and it was on the trailer at the time being towed to the racetrack. Go fig! Good luck with your repairs.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel