The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crank sensor re-learn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All;
New clutch installed onto existing flywheel.
- Flywheel was removed, inspected & re-installed in exact position with relux (existing high rev) plate not disturbed.

Anyone know whether the crank position sensor relearn will be necessary under the above scenario?
Thanks in advance.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
According to the factory manual, it will be necessary if the clutch or flywheel are removed.

In practice, you might get lucky--but I wouldn't bet on it. You'll know right away if not, because the car will fall on it's face and flash the CEL every few minutes.

If you have a friend with an IDS tool the procedure takes about 5 mins and is non-invasive.

ArizonaBOSS said:
According to the factory manual, it will be necessary if the clutch or flywheel are removed.

In practice, you might get lucky--but I wouldn't bet on it. You'll know right away if not, because the car will fall on it's face and flash the CEL every few minutes.

If you have a friend with an IDS tool the procedure takes about 5 mins and is non-invasive.

Hey!
Many thanks ArizonaBoss!
I'll let you know how it works out.
Lee

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I took my car in to have this done and the dealership wouldn't do it. They were aware of the TSB but wouldn't do it because they didn't see any codes. I have had the misfire codes several times and always cleared them out thinking they would remain in the memory but that wasn't the case. So next time they happen I won't clear them and I'll have the dealership do the work.

TMO Supporting Vendors