The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crankshaft Dampers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
One last drivetrain post for today ;)

While I refresh all the engine hardware I'm looking at my vibration damper and wondering if the oe replacement piece I have should be replaced by something better or if it is fine.

I've researched and outside those who need a SFI rating it doesn't seem to be much benefit, and honestly the last time I had a damper/balancer issue was on a old sn95 302 that kicked the outer ring.

Thoughts? Does this part contribute to any wear or issues on the crank driven items like the oil pump gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
You don't want me to answer but an ATI damper is on my list as an upgrade to prevent high rpm harmonics from affecting the oil pump gears and timing set along with the $500 oil pump (Ford Performance CJ) and $240 billet timing gear (TSS). I figure while I am in the front of the motor swapping cams might as well give it some good parts to keep it together at 8000 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ATI is a nice piece. If it were me, based on all the issues you have had, I would definitely do this. It will definitely add to longevity but is totally overkill.

I like overkill. I would use the ARP bolt as well.

ARP Balancer bolt: PN# 156-2502
ATI Coyote balancer: PN# 918047 with AC pulley
PN# 918047 without AC pulley (this is probably the one you want for you build)

Another approach would be to get the M-6600-A50PKIT since it includes things you are going to probably need for final assembly anyway, especially since you are going to use a Moroso pan......

Sorry, I like to spend other peoples money.......lol

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I just wanted to bump up this thread. While we were putting together the engine we noticed the inside of the damper seemed a little worn... Has anyone had some time with the ATI damper?? Was it worth it over the stock unit??

upload_2018-11-13_21-43-44.png

DFW, TX
I was wondering about the outcome of that investigation. I must have missed the update in your thread.

Maybe the ATI being lighter is no bueno... they were very widely used in NASCAR years ago, no idea what is used now.

Rubber that changes hardness and therefore damping as it gets old, means they have a finite life (Fluidamper being a notable exception). I've run a Fluidamper on an old 351W "race" engine. They were the hot ticket maybe 20 years ago but have not heard much about them lately. I don't think they make anything for non-pushrod V8s.

According to Ford Performance, my aluminator split it’s crank in half due to the ATI unit and they never recommend any coyote engine to use them for any application.

I had a shop do oil pump gears and they replaced the dampner with a new stock dampner. It lasted exactly 250 miles to the track and on the second run of day 1 in amateur group 1, it split in half. I have an ATI going in now. Captain distraction is the only instance I’ve found of an issue with ATI so I’m hoping ford saying the crank issue was that is just their way of saying they don’t have to pay for it. And hopefully I have no issues with it because this is getting expensive. Haha.

Attachments

• AF31FC27-44AC-4A51-B972-5DF146DCEFE4.jpeg
    AF31FC27-44AC-4A51-B972-5DF146DCEFE4.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 177

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Hard to say. I don't buy the lines I received from FRPP or ATI. ATI at least disassembled the damper in its entirety and went through to find nothing wrong. I don't know exactly what Ford Performance did besides shrug.

That said, a very young $11,000 aluminator based motor was vaporized in the process. I am running an OEM damper on my ongoing builds.

Did the shop use an oem part or a third party (rebuild)? I tried one of those once a few motors ago and it didn't go well.

Hard to say. I don't buy the lines I received from FRPP or ATI. ATI at least disassembled the damper in its entirety and went through to find nothing wrong. I don't know exactly what Ford Performance did besides shrug.

That said, a very young $11,000 aluminator based motor was vaporized in the process. I am running an OEM damper on my ongoing builds.

Did the shop use an oem part or a third party (rebuild)? I tried one of those once a few motors ago and it didn't go well.
The shop owner said they used OEM straight from ford. Then I was talking to one of the guys in the shop about how I had a hard time finding a replacement that weekend while at the track and had to use an autozone one. He said yep that’s the exact same one we used. Grrrrr. So they are refunding me the price of the original dampner and putting on the ATI, which I bought, for free.
Sorry to hear about your motor. Makes me feel dumb complaining about my split dampner. I guess its like they say, it could alway be worse.

Attachments

• 0583DFE3-E0C0-47C8-B346-6803451CD182.jpeg
    0583DFE3-E0C0-47C8-B346-6803451CD182.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 186
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
This is interesting. I'm going to be upgrading to a Power Pack 3 with the 7500 Rev limit and was thinking about a better dampner for the higher revs. Maybe not...

I don’t think Ford has a problem with ATI dampers, they are used on some very powerfull Aluminator based builds(JTP’s drift mustang for example) and even tore one down on the website(ATI equipped). They do have issue with them being installed incorrectly. I’m not claiming that is the reason for any of the failures in this thread; I have no idea what the causes are.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I don’t think Ford has a problem with ATI dampers, they are used on some very powerfull Aluminator based builds(JTP’s drift mustang for example) and even tore one down on the website(ATI equipped). They do have issue with them being installed incorrectly. I’m not claiming that is the reason for any of the failures in this thread; I have no idea what the causes are.

They used no unclear language when talking to me about the recommendation to not use the damper. Only the cobra jet uses it, and only to meet nhra sfi requirement. Otherwise no 5.0 tivct engine they produce had an aftermarket damper on it

TMO Supporting Vendors