The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crash at Homestead involving the Phoenix team

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last I looked SCCA is amateur racing. In every way I meet that definition never driving in a single pro race nor having the luxury of new sticker tires for every qualifying and the race like some truely committed clubracers. I am the person very capable of handling tech issues with my car and taking off my wheel.
Read the supps for the Runoffs.

Every time you go on track is a risk. You could be passing someone 10 seconds off pace and something fails on their car causing a crash that kills you becuase instead of maintenance, they went fishing. Think about that sometime.

sfo
Every time you go on track is a risk. You could be passing someone 10 seconds off pace and something fails on their car causing a crash that kills you becuase instead of maintenance, they went fishing. Think about that sometime.
That statement has zero to do with post race impound inspection.

I enjoy amateur racing. I combine racing and fishing every time I can. I'm not sure what you are trying to imply but If you maintain the car well it very rarely breaks and you can go fishing and eat BBQ. I'm the guy with full containment seat mounted to the cage, NASCAR impaxx foam in my door, and oil filter ,among other things, safety wired in a Touring class. I take my safety and the safety of others seriously.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Glad to hear that everyone was ok and interesting to hear about the tire issue. At least you guys have real safety inspections.... something we still have not managed to formalize down here.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, Mad, be the spearhead to get " Safety Regulations " instituted and make sure your Redhead is well dressed so she is not hit on. We definitely want you wearing a hard Snell approved egg on your head and an FIA driver's suit on your Trackrat Torso! We all likes you and want you around for quite awhile!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
.... something we still have not managed to formalize down here.
Now that is scary. I agree with Bill...be The Man! For your own sake if no one else's. I consider it good day at the track when EVERYONE loads up in the same state as they unloaded...well except maybe for the wallet being somewhat lighter. At the end of the day everyone goes home safe.

That statement has zero to do with post race impound inspection.
That statement has to do with the thread. Not your sidetracking of the thread to pat yourself on the back for doing as little as possible.
Glad to hear that everyone was ok and interesting to hear about the tire issue. At least you guys have real safety inspections.... something we still have not managed to formalize down here.

Safety isn't just about the car either, its about the track (wall protection, what you can hit and where), race control (how fast they react, how they react), preparedness of the safety crews and finally the drivers respecting other cars on track and flags, being predictable and being competent enough behind the wheel.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cmon, guys. AJ you are very well respected on here, especially by those who have raced in SCCA, etc. but please take your anger and frustration ( which is completely understandable ) on the incident, not bob. The bulk of us on TMO are amateur racers, often in the same position as bob, we practice safe procedure, but often do not have the extra funds for a support crew. Like the old days in SCCA and often, currently, in NASA, we rely on our friends and fellow competitors to help us out - it is a community and that is part of he draw for 90% of us out there.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
This thread took a turn I didn't expect.

There was some genuine concern for the driver involved, I think that's what most here were concerned about and focused on. Not so much about the 10k different things that can lead to a crash on the track or who is at fault. Regardless of what caused the incident or how it could have been avoided, or who is to blame for rovals, hopefully the driver comes away without serious injury.

I think we all understand the real risks of this hobby, which is amplified by countless variables. Threads like this are just our way of dealing with the fear and anxiety, sharing emotions and also the sincere hope that those who crash make it home safe - this is what a community does. Sometimes the wrong information comes out too early, but that doesn't mean there is any less concern for the drivers involved. We all share a deep connection here. Let's keep that in mind when sharing our frustrations and challenging each other's comments. There is a valid concern about speculation being shared in situations like this, and I understand that. I went ahead and edited caracal25's original post to remove the speculation in there, hopefully that is satisfactory and caracal25 doesn't take issue with it.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors