The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crashed Boss in repair mode.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This is a change of topic from a previous thread....

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...he-engine-out-again.14411/page-12#post-218228

Well here are some pics of the damage. Next race will be in two weeks..... so will miss that one but the following race is 6 weeks away so will be ready.... (I think). Any insights would be very welcome.

Lesson:... try not to race in the rain!!

upload_2019-3-27_14-21-51.png

upload_2019-3-27_14-22-18.pngupload_2019-3-27_14-22-45.pngupload_2019-3-27_14-23-24.pngupload_2019-3-27_14-23-48.png
upload_2019-3-27_14-24-14.png

Well I will stop there.... But you get the idea.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Damn. Having bad flashbacks here.

Are you OK?

You will want to see if the strut towers are damaged.

You will probably have to replace the passenger side upper structure. You can drill the spot welds out on the core support like I did and replace that entire section (weld in).
You may have to order a new lower "frame rail" aka "shotgun" if either of those are buckled. The existing structure can be cut and a new one welded in but suggest you survey the damage further first. I'd probably try and get the drivetrain out of the car to do a full assessment of the vehicle structure.

Might be time for the rollcage during the rebuild!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup I am fine!!! suprised actuallyo_O... did have my improved roll cage in and we had just made HANS obligatory for all. Will take out the engine this week and get a better idea of whats bent etc.

Bummer, glad to see you're ok.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes thats what I told the track steward.... "never liked that radiator" :( But full steam ahead! Will take everthing out and try my best to get the car ready by the 18th of May... Luckly for me all the slower cars got good positions in the rain and the faster ones failed to make any big gains. So even missing the next race, can still see a way to keep my Championship. Engines strong and it looks like I will be loosing some weight up front.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Since I will be spending next years race budget as well as this years.... I saw a Mishimoto radiator part#
Model: MMRAD-MUS-05

Its on sale for $275.95 (edit 245.95). Is this a decent option for a tracked car?? Losing the a/c radiator will help as well.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check your email later, as have another idea for your hood. Hope you can get things ready for mid May -- sounds like you have a good group of support folks there ( mechanics, body shop techs, etc.)?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
@Mad Hatter I have the mishimoto radiator in my car(3v 4.6) and it's been great so far. The only issue I have with mishimoto is their silicone hose kit. The kit should really come with worm clamps rather than reusing the OEM spring clamps.

Was happy to see the price... and the fact thats its 2" thick with three cores vs the bosses 1.5" and two cores. I bought the gt500 fan setup earlier.... Boy am I glad we did not install it before the last raceo_O

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That radiator support part comes with the headlight buckets but you will also need the support pieces since it looks like those were wiped clean off of of the lower rail.

Left side is AR3Z-16152-A
Right Side is AR3Z-16153-A

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel