The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crazy Hawaiian Races his GT 350 at Tracks all over the Continental US !!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Okay, now that I have your attention, this is probably one of the coolest " Bucket List ," stories you will ever hear? While racing at Pueblo Motorsports Park this past weekend I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow Ford Trackrat by the name of Bob Tremain. Now, nothing unusual about running into another Mustang Maniac at a road course, except , Bob is traveling all over the Continental US racing his 2017 Avalanche Gray GT 350! The key to his racing wanderlust is that the Big Island of Hawaii has granted some land for possible use as a racing complex, and his tour of Road Courses is to get concrete ideas on how many are run, as well as design? With a Complex devoted to Motorsports there is little difficulty in figuring out how to run a straight ribbon of cement/asphalt for the 1/4 mile runners, but a road course is a completely different animal. Bob's research is not only to interpret the business side of successful tracks , but to envision the best attributes of course design for both speed and safety. I had a great time chatting with him and of course I made sure he had my business card with "Trackmustangsonline.com" printed on the back!! Please when you note contributions from one of the following , it could be Bob from the Big Island:

1. Kona Bob ( not to be confused with a Kona Blue Mustang, Tyme)
2. Big Island Bob
3. The Hawaiian Avalanche
4. KonaKarnut
5. VolcanoRobert
6. KonaRacer

...this will likely be a report from Bob about where he is running and please if you are at that track also, go give him a big TMO welcome. Bob told me he would be looking into the website and contribute fun notes on his travels to tracks around the Country. Now, we all would love to be doing this " Bucket List, " tour, but I am pretty sure he is writing this off as a business expense, ha,ha!? Seriously, if he posts and you are in the area , go make an introduction, or maybe be willing to offer your services if he is in need of some assistance. Super guy, and let me address the best conclusion of his travels with the list below:

1. A track that has the same weather conditions year round and keep in mind there are parts of the Big Island that receive less rain in a year than Phoenix -- but no where near as hot . With temps seldom above the 80s can you say , " Perfect weather."
2. Would it be hard to envision an enterprising Manufacturer missing out on establishing a " Driving School" there, since the weather would not dictate closings due to too much heat or being too cold?
3. How hard would it be to convince momma that you were taking her to Hawaii, and you might spend a few days at a track event while she was forced to lay around the beach sunning herself?

So, hopefully Bob will be posting soon, welcome him with open arms , and this just goes to show, " You meet the nicest people at the Racetrack!'

His next stop is COTA !

Respectfully Submitted,
Bill Pemberton

Last edited:
That's similar to my "bucket list" idea....travel the country hitting all the road courses I can run and live out of a mobile home. My wife just shook her head and walked away so it may be a long solo trip but it's on my mind. Just not sure I will still be able to drive by the time I can afford to do that. But I can dream! Would love to run into Bob during his track tour out east.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know COTA, Barber, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, and Sebring are on his list. Not sure about others but he said he would definitely get on the site, so hopefully soon many of us will have his itinerary?

In the V6L
I was on the Big Island this January for a week of R&R without the kids (for the first time in decades) and it's a fantastic place. A race track there would be ideal for all the reasons that Bill mentions - the problem is the drive from California is a bit on the long side and there aren't a lot of gas stations along the way :)

When he registered I noticed the name and immediately thought he had a kona blue Boss. Then I read where he’s from. He should make it to NorCal and check out our trifecta of Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I met them as well at PMP and they are as genuine folks as can be. I am envious of their dream to fill their bucket lists with all the great tracks here in the US. It just goes to show you how cool it is to track your car and meet all kinds of great peeps.

Utah
I met Bob at our March NASA event at Utah Motorsports Campus (UMC) and had the pleasure of riding along with him on his first laps of the Outer Loop. How can I pass up the opportunity to instruct in a GT350!

Bob is one of the most personable guys you can meet. He hung out with us Mustang guys at UMC all day. We took him for some rides on track as well! Lots of fun and I hope he makes it back to UMC one day!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bob is flying home for a little break before coming back to run at COTA. I am sure we will all hear from him soon , and make sure we welcome our 50th State Trackraticus with enthusiasm , props and , of course, a bit of the wit so common from this wacky group of Road Course Warriors!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
See VoodooBoss's note above about Bob registering. I missed that but in chatting with KonaBob this am , he mentioned. We will hear from our newest member from Hawaii and I guess he thought my first option was the best , ha?! I kinda liked Big Island Bob , but then his initials would have been Bib, so good choice to go with KB!

Aloha Fellow Pony Track Addicts.
I don't quite know where to start. First off thank you to Bill and all the friendly awesome NASA folks in the 5 Regions I have run so far since February. I purchased my car in Houston in May of last year and went straight to COTA the next morning and ran with the Texas Group. I was the second Owner and the car had 3,200 miles on it when I purchased it. Running 4 times for 20 minutes 36 hrs after purchase was outstanding, thank you Texas Region. I then took the car to San Pedro California where I have a unit in a controlled indoor Facility. I started off this year February 2nd and 3rd at a two day VARA event at Buttonwillow Raceway then onto Chuckwalla, Sonoma, Phoenix Wild Horse Pass, Utah Motorsports Park and finally Pueblo this weekend, all with NASA. My next event is COTA then NOLA, Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta then Sebring on June 22nd. I have yet to finalize my Eastern Seabord adventure after June 22nd. I will return to Kona for Marlin and Big Ahi Fishing during the month of July. (It is typically one of our best months)I will be back on the Tour August. There are many good tracks on the Eastern Seaboard so I am doing my research. I plan on my last event being Watkins Glen on October 5th and 6th, weather permitting.
This adventure was conceived by my wife Dianne and I 2 years ago after selling our business to our children and our Manager. We were going to buy a large RV, a purpose built car and trailer and race it across the country on the same format. I officially was scheduled and did retire on January 1st 2019. Prior to my retiring in July of 2017 my Wife and Partner of 47 years peacefully passed away in her sleep alongside me. I was inches away and did not feel her pass. Myself and my children (two sons and a daughter with spouses) were devastated. They all live very close. So a little clarification on Bill's lead in to my post here is that the lady I was with in Pueblo was my Sister who lives in Colorado Springs. I have been on this adventure solo, seeing people, Family and friends along the way.
The Shelby GT350 was my alternate choice to the Big RV, Trailer and another car. I am keeping it simple and really enjoying driving the car from event to event. It is a great touring car and track car with a fantastic Warranty. I am an avid golfer so the 1st and most important item in the trunk was my set of golf clubs. All my clothes and support tools, jack, jack stands, etc,etc,etc had to fit in after the golf clubs.
There it is, my dream adventure I am on is to honor my wife and my passion. I am not waiting to chase my bucket list. Life can change in minutes. My children and relatives are backing me 100% so it is a family affair. I have always attacked life with a positive attitude. I would appreciate any advice for tracks to visit on the East Coast, Central Region, Lime Rock, VIR and Watkins Glen are on the list already.
I hope all of us can pursue our passion racing wherever and whenever we can. Looking forward to meeting all of our fellow Mustang track addicts.
If I can help anyone in anyway let me know.
See you at the track!!!
Aloha
Kona Bob

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome, welcome, welcome Kona Bob , and I did edit my post after you clarified with me on the phone that it was your sister you were at the track with. Having been married almost 42 years to a wonderful lady, I felt blessed that you shared your love and dreams of your wife with me. I am sure she is with you in this dynamic journey to the various tracks in the Continental US!! We all look forward to your future posts, and your TMO brothers and sisters will often be there to join you at the road courses you visit. Better check with VoodooBoss to see if he has any T shirts left , as that is an easy way to recognize your fellow TMO Racers?

Until you are back on the track, drop in often to check on any GT 350 updates, tech ideas, or just to join in the wacky fun many of us dive into on this site!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Kona Bob - best of luck on your adventures! Since you'll be traveling between VIR and Watkins Glen, I would recommend stopping at New Jersey Motorsports Park. I especially like their Thunderbolt track. Also, Pocono may be a nice track for your 350 since you can get a nice head of steam off the back banked (Tunnel) curve into the back straight.original.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors