The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crazy Hawaiian Races his GT 350 at Tracks all over the Continental US !!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I believe there are a couple of TMO members attending Laguna Seca on Friday October 11th for a 105 db day but not the 5th. @treynor

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear Lavaskinned Kona Bob,

Please list all the Golf Courses you have hit across the US and Canada , as many of us believe you may have putted your way around North America at an even greater clip than you had running all those road courses? I have a sneaky suspicion that when a Race Course Development gets organized, designed and set up on the Big Island, there will be a Golf Course right next to the track, ha!!

Last edited:
Just stumbled across this thread and it all makes sense now! Bob, it was nice meeting you at Sebring and Mid Ohio with NASA. The mustang racers I know have been known to party. Hope you meet great people at each track and get some credit back for your trans repair. Very cool adventure!

Blue skies,

Bruce

I have my own High Lites this tyme of year....raking leaves or raking leaves.........The party has already started...I Remember the old days when my Father and us would rake them to the street and burn them!!!!!!!! that became against the law in the late 60's....When does the law ever become your friend??????????????.....NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You come through Colorado again and I'll hit the links with you KB.

Here's a first for me. Quoting my own post. Played golf with a customer yesterday for the first tyme since last August and birdied two of the first three holes. Who needs practice right? It all went down hill from there though. I use to play 25-30 tymes a year until I caught the track bug. Now I'm lucky to get in a couple of rounds. I'm a typical jack-of-all-trades and master of none which makes me mediocre at everything I do. But I'm okay with that because variety is the spice of life.

Who needs practice right?
A little practice with a lotta luck thrown in works wonders sometymes....Being mediocre at everything is something to be proud of...Murphy's law holds me back at that goal once in a while.....and You are SO right about variety being the spice of life!!!!!...that's why restaurants have menus and that applies to all things in life...;);););)!!!....and BTW, Quoting yourself is not that bad, I may have done that a tyme or two..........I have a great memory.....but it's short..................

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Couple of pictures from today's track day. Great day, perfect weather and got to meet Kona Bob and his trusty steed. Bob's a fun guy and brave too, he even went out with me for a session and that's not something for the faint of heart. We both survived though, so that's a bonus.

Bob entertaining the assembled masses.
View attachment 9866

Crossing the finish line at a great old grand prix track.
View attachment 9867

Great to meet you Bob!

Geez JDee , I wish I had been there!! Haven't been at a track since Shannonville.
Have been doing lots of traveling. Hardly been behind the wheel of the Boss for weeks. It's just not right!! Being retired is wearing me out. o_O

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Geez JDee , I wish I had been there!! Haven't been at a track since Shannonville.
Have been doing lots of traveling. Hardly been behind the wheel of the Boss for weeks. It's just not right!! Being retired is wearing me out. o_O

Bummer! You missed at good one at Mosport today, conditions were ideal, they just repaved the Moss Corner complex, Turn 2 and Turn 10, couple of other places as well, it was a little greasy on the new pavement but got better as the day progressed. I managed to lay down a 1:33.4, new PB by 1.2 seconds. Car is working really well. Haven't run Shannonville since June, the track is in rough shape, they're supposed to be fixing the bad spots this fall but until they do it's a tire killer. Not much left of the season, better get out there while you can!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I didn't realize this thread was about THAT Bob...but we have met at COTA last year (2018 in May) and again more recently in AZ. Great guy! He even brought us donuts for breakfast at COTA :)

Hawaii (Kona) Bob!

I had the pleasure of meeting Kona Bob at Calabogie Motorsports Park (CMP-Calabogie, Ontario, Canada) on September 14 where he stopped in for a few days on his tour. I arrived early that morning to prepare for a day of HPDE Coaching to find a GT350 in the paddock with Texas plates on it! As I strolled by the car, stopping briefly to take a peek at the 350 and knowing CMP is a great facility and a great draw to our friends south of the 49th parallel, I suspected there had to be a good story to this visit by the owner, coming here from quite a distance. As you can assume, I was not disappointed. As soon as I looked up from the car, I noticed a man approaching with a great tan and broad smile (probably the whitest teeth I've ever seen too). I learned after our short chat a bit about his story regarding the track tour - now a bucket list item for the remainder of my life -and his name "Bob". I had a few other short interactions with him over that weekend, each enjoyable as he shared some excitement about his visit and his plans. In my last interaction with him, he told me about TMO just before driving away. Thanks for sharing that Bob and good luck with the rest of your tour! The attached photo includes Bob and Greg Van Dalen, the Business Development Manager at Calabogie Motorsports Park.IMG_1940.jpg

GT 350 Big Sur.jpgGT 350 Laguna Seca 2.jpgGT 350 Laguna Seca.jpg
Aloha All. Wow!!!! I really let this thread get away from me. Thank you to everyone for all the great comments, kind words and humor. I am humbled that everyone here has been enjoying my exploits and track reports (with updates on accuracy from Bill). I just looked at my last post which was Sept 24th after the NASA event. Well things got interesting and I got on the move. I was going to sell the car and fly home from the East Coast but since the car has just been so outrageously good I couldn't do it. Over 150 track sessions of 20-30 mins!!! with very few problems. I left Ohio and went to Colorado Springs to visit Family, played golf of course and then off to Salt Lake to visit the Ford Performance Driving School. Hung out with that group for a few days and met some really great dedicated Ford Team members teaching Ford Owners how to drive their Raptors and their Mustangs. We jumped a Raptor and did some spirited driving with Donnie Edwards. Dan McKeever runs the entire Ford Experience and he is a wealth of knowledge with anything Ford Performance or race track construction or management. By the way they are selling about 8 of their Boss 302 Factory prepped race cars. I looked at them and they are in great shape, all refurbed. $40,000 or make offer. Call the school and ask for Tom.
Anyway back on the road to Buttonwillow, California where we ran with VARA for two days at their Octoberfest Event. Great group, great food and lubrication and getting their HPDE school up and running. Then off to the last track Laguna Seca, bringing the total to 20 tracks since March 4th. That event was a straight HPDE NASA event. We had a small turnout so you could run at speed. Weather was perfect and the NASA crew was great. Laguna Seca was a perfect way to end the adventure. The GT350 loved that track, every lap puts a smile on your face. Make sure you have new tires since the track requires alot of grip to get the most out of the Corkscrew and the Andretti Corner.
The next day I drove down Highway 1 thru BIG Sur along the California Coast on a beautiful 82 degree cloudless day. Highway 1 from Los Angeles to Leggett California is a must do for every motorhead. Arrived in Thousand Oakes for golf and great seats at the Rams vs 49ers on Sunday, Golf on Monday, park and store the car at the Auto Palace in San Pedro and flew home to Kona on Tuesday with 1 duffle, backpack and my golf clubs, case closed.

I will follow this post with some trivia and a link to a video of me loading my car with all the "stuff". It is amazing how much stuff you can get in a Mustang.
Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. I have certainly met an amazing number of fantastic people all across our great Country. Everyone asks me "how was it??" All I can come up with is "Beyond expectations". My adventure has allowed me to encourage and enable people to "get on track" so if this adventure stimulates a few leary individuals to fill out that 1st registration/entry form and show up to that 1st Grid I have accomplished another one of my goals and put a smile on my face, mission accomplished.

Enough for now. Go after your dreams.
My best to all, keep it on Track

TMO Supporting Vendors