The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crazy Hawaiian Races his GT 350 at Tracks all over the Continental US !!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha from Kona TMO Brotherhood. I hope everyone had a great Holiday Season. I am here in Kona enjoying our winter season, 84 in the day and a chilly 67-69 at night! I was sent a link on Thursday to an article written about my adventure by Ford. I will attach it here:

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2020/01/kona-bob.html

The article was written by Matt Stone a writer for Ford who I met with in October for about 3 hours and told him about the adventure. He nailed it, I am impressed with his accuracy, kudos to Matt.
I returned to Buttonwillow Raceway two weeks ago for the annual University of VARA (Vintage Auto Racing Association) HPDE school. I have been 12 times in the last 13 years bringing first timers from Hawaii. You bring your own car (can be a rental car muscle car, BMW, Mini Cooper etc, that is what the Hawaiians do) and participate in two full days of track time, classroom instruction, skid pad, slalom course, braking exercises, a cocktail and food social Saturday night and 6+ - 20 minute sessions on Saturday and Sunday all for &450.00!!!! I highly recommend this event for your first time drivers and then intermediate thru advance drivers. Usually in January. Check out VARAracing.com, University of VARA.

I have been appointed the Vice President of the Hawaii Racing Association here on the Big Island and we have started our meetings with the County of Hawaii. The feedback and support by the County officials for the Kona Motorsports Park has been overwhelmingly positive. We are in the process of getting the first 250 acres dedicated to the Kona Motorsports Park, I am in touch with a few investors and entities that are interested in the development of the Park. It will have a 3 mile road course with elevation changes and about 13-15 turns. A motocross track, oval dirt track, 1/4 mile dragstrip and a Karting Facility. Also buildings and garages as the Park evolves. This is a separate endeavor from the other group some of you have mentioned on Oahu who has just started on their plan. We will be interacting with them I am sure. If any TMO members come to Kona, look me up and we can check out the spot. We are looking at a 5+year timeline since everything happens really slooooow in Hawaii. We will need all the support we can get.

Thank you again for all the positive, funny and kind comments in all of the posts.
Live the passion, get to the track whenever you can and enjoy the Sport.
Stay safe.
Regards
Bob

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good news Bob, now please put me down as one of your lead Instructors. I can stay in your back bedroom , no problem .......hang loose!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Great article. You couldn't find a better guy to hang with. I was lucky enough to meet Kona Bob at a NASA event at Pueblo Motorsports Park last year and a friendlier guy, one could never meet. Good luck on your endeavor at KMP.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Great article. But I'm surprised this was said by a NASA official and printed by the NASA magazine.

"...you’re still trying to catch the dude in front of you in HPDE,” Adams said. “You’re competing regardless of whether you’re getting a trophy or a lap time."

Aloha from Kona TMO Brotherhood. I hope everyone had a great Holiday Season. I am here in Kona enjoying our winter season, 84 in the day and a chilly 67-69 at night! I was sent a link on Thursday to an article written about my adventure by Ford. I will attach it here:

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2020/01/kona-bob.html

The article was written by Matt Stone a writer for Ford who I met with in October for about 3 hours and told him about the adventure. He nailed it, I am impressed with his accuracy, kudos to Matt.
I returned to Buttonwillow Raceway two weeks ago for the annual University of VARA (Vintage Auto Racing Association) HPDE school. I have been 12 times in the last 13 years bringing first timers from Hawaii. You bring your own car (can be a rental car muscle car, BMW, Mini Cooper etc, that is what the Hawaiians do) and participate in two full days of track time, classroom instruction, skid pad, slalom course, braking exercises, a cocktail and food social Saturday night and 6+ - 20 minute sessions on Saturday and Sunday all for &450.00!!!! I highly recommend this event for your first time drivers and then intermediate thru advance drivers. Usually in January. Check out VARAracing.com, University of VARA.

I have been appointed the Vice President of the Hawaii Racing Association here on the Big Island and we have started our meetings with the County of Hawaii. The feedback and support by the County officials for the Kona Motorsports Park has been overwhelmingly positive. We are in the process of getting the first 250 acres dedicated to the Kona Motorsports Park, I am in touch with a few investors and entities that are interested in the development of the Park. It will have a 3 mile road course with elevation changes and about 13-15 turns. A motocross track, oval dirt track, 1/4 mile dragstrip and a Karting Facility. Also buildings and garages as the Park evolves. This is a separate endeavor from the other group some of you have mentioned on Oahu who has just started on their plan. We will be interacting with them I am sure. If any TMO members come to Kona, look me up and we can check out the spot. We are looking at a 5+year timeline since everything happens really slooooow in Hawaii. We will need all the support we can get.

Thank you again for all the positive, funny and kind comments in all of the posts.
Live the passion, get to the track whenever you can and enjoy the Sport.
Stay safe.
Regards
Bob

Bob,

One of my customers is Honolulu PD. As an EVOC instructor I'd love to talk to you about possibly making some connections with them and seeing if there might be a possibility that the Government could help offset the cost of the facility by incorporating police EVOC training there. They currently use a very small parking lot style facility that is not suitable for any kind of real EVOC instruction.

Chris

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great idea because I know some tracks have been able to get grants based on the State and Governmental uses that would benefit from a track. The Highway Patrol, County Sheriff staffs, and Police Departments will often pay a stated sum for usage and it actually helps support the track, to a small degree. Good item to bring up, though I believe Bob has already put this into part of his proposal , but it would sure be an additional benefit for your friend to meet up with him!!

Aloha TMO Brothers,
Thank you again for all the compliments. The NASA article came out good. Participating in so many NASA events last summer was truly a great experience. I met an a lot of great people. If you have not run in a NASA racing event or an HPDE event I highly encourage you to try it.
As we all are aware, chasing our passion will be challenging this year. I hope everyone can stay safe and healthy. Here on the Big Island we have very few cases of Coronavirus so I am going to stay put and wait and see before I get on a plane to come back to the Mainland. The fishing and the golf is just too good to leave unless I can drive my car over there.
The Kona Motorsports Park is moving along. We have been in several meetings with the County and they have been double thumbs up. We have been given a list of requirements from the County to meet before they transfer the Land so a lease can be developed. The requirements will take some time with an EIS, Cultural Impact studies along with a plan for supplying water. Water is a commodity as precious as gold here. I have had one track Owner visit the Island and he was very positive about our progress and really liked the site. This will take some time so I will be patient and persistent. Looking for money will be another challenge all together but I know it is out there if we can put together a good planned facility.
That's it for now. Stay home and stay healthy.
Bob

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Talked to some of our Canadian TMO members and they said not to worry about the water situation, they will bring over plenty of beer if you get the track ramped up!

Seriously, good news and once you get actual approval let us know so we can get the word out to those who might be potential investors. I have enough saved to buy one coconut palm at the track entrance , but there are some clients who might enjoy owning a part of a track open all year round? I am sure many other members may have some friends/contacts who would possibly have some interest?

TMO Supporting Vendors