The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crossed this off my bucket list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
I wouldn't put DOT 4 in it unless you're taking it to a road course.

What is the disadvantage of running DOT4 in a streetcar? I was using DOT4 fluid in my old 06 Mustang without issue and I run it in my 90 LX street / strip car.

It absorbs moisture more quickly than DOT 3 and should be replaced yearly or at least a lot more frequently.

Ah okay. I knew that already.I wasn't sure if there was anything beyond that, that I wasn't aware of. I change the brake fluid once a year in my cars anyhow. It's overkill, but fresh brake fluid makes a huge difference in braking performance compared to old dirty fluid. I have the Motive Power Bleeder, so flushing brake fluid is a simple job that I can do in an hour or less.

I ended up just ordering a set of Continental Extreme Contact DW tires in factory size to replace my stock Pirellis. Maybe this weekend I'll flush my brake fluid. I'll be going to the dragon in 2 weeks!

Important thing to remember when driving the dragon's tail is to stay on your side of the road at all times as you never know when someone is coming around the next curve be it a motorcycle or car or truck. The line you pick and drive on with your left front tire will be the inside edge of the double yellow line that runs the entire length of this road (US129).

Tim

thehueypilot said:
Important thing to remember when driving the dragon's tail is to stay on your side of the road at all times as you never know when someone is coming around the next curve be it a motorcycle or car or truck. The line you pick and drive on with your left front tire will be the inside edge of the double yellow line that runs the entire length of this road (US129).

Tim

Definitely a good tip. I'm a little concerned about oncoming traffic or another vehicle pushing it too hard from the opposite direction and coming into my lane around a blind turn.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
WinterSucks said:
The motive bleeder is great! But it will fill the reservoir right up to the cap so I lower it then bleed extra out of the last caliper.

HINT don't put fluid in the power bleeder. Just use it to pressurize the system. ;

Peter

OLOABoss said:
HINT don't put fluid in the power bleeder. Just use it to pressurize the system. ;

Peter

The only issue with that is running out and getting air in the line. As long as you filled it after every caliper burp and where careful you might be able to get away with it. For a full flush I would definitely fill it up to avoid any mistakes.

Agreed. For a full flush, I usually extract most of the fluid out of the reservoir and then I top it off with clean fluid. Then I fill the power bleeder and force clean fluid through the system and bleed each corner, starting at the rear passenger side.

There have been times where I've just used it to pressurize the system if I removed a caliper and I just had to bleed the brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel