The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crossed this off my bucket list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took the Boss to the Dragon's Tail in east TN last weekend. We got there at about 0700 hours so we were free to make a full speed pass w/o running into slower traffic. It was the first time I drove the Boss as hard as I could and I was really impressed that it took it all w/o breaking a sweat. Here are a few things I would do differently:
1. I forgot to change the shock settings from one to five.
2. My tires are original to the car with 16k on them so they were protesting a lot.
3. I drove so hard I started to get motion sickness so a lighter breakfast is in order.
4. I drove with the track key and kept the transmission in 3rd gear as I needed two hands on the steering wheel to make the 180 degree turns. I forgot to change the steering to sport mode which might of helped?
It was a blast and I recommend it for all Boss owners who don't track their car but would like to see what it can do.

Tim

[youtube]http://youtu.be/DBgK4cOh-DE[/youtube]

Nice but where's the photos? ;D

NFSBOSS said:

The photos are still on order from the picture taker guy. The guy that was with me had a go-pro camera which probably made me drive harder than I should have but the movie is too big to post unless he posts it on u-tube. By the way the guy chasing me was in a 2012 camaro SS so I had to make a good showing for the Ford crew.

Tim

[
/img]

I have a barf bag in the glove box for my wife, will not drive fast with her in the car! And she will never be with me on this ride...it is on my bucket list.

2. My tires are original to the car with 16k on them so they were protesting a lot.

they must have the side walls pretty much gone now then

3. I drove so hard I started to get motion sickness so a lighter breakfast is in order.

that sort of used to happen to me thats why i fitted a harness bar, no problems now

4. I drove with the track key and kept the transmission in 3rd gear as I needed two hands on the steering wheel to make the 180 degree turns. I forgot to change the steering to sport mode which might of helped?

With track key in the steering is set to sport for you

It was a blast and I recommend it for all Boss owners who don't track their car but would like to see what it can do.

Tim
[/quote]

NFSBOSS said:

Added u-tube video and for some reason the picture quality is terrible. At about 2:20 minutes into the movie is my "OH Shi#$#$#" moment and you can hear the guy in the camaro say the same thing at the same time. You can also hear him laugh when the back end tries to come around a couple of times.

Tim

OK maybe I spoke too soon about the car taking all I could throw at it as it now has a leaking rear axel seal. I know it was not there before my trip as I took the rims off to clean them for a car show and they were dry as a bone. Minor stuff but annoying never the less. Car is still a beast.

Tim

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
thehueypilot said:
OK maybe I spoke too soon about the car taking all I could throw at it as it now has a leaking rear axel seal. I know it was not there before my trip as I took the rims off to clean them for a car show and they were dry as a bone. Minor stuff but annoying never the less. Car is still a beast.

Tim

Tim

Ford has a TSB out on the axel for leaks. Call your dealer. Our 2013 is going in next week for the upgrade.

Unsure what specifically is being replaced. Worth a call,to you dealer to se what is covered.

Good luck

TMSBOSS said:
Tim

Ford has a TSB out on the axel for leaks. Call your dealer. Our 2013 is going in next week for the upgrade.

Unsure what specifically is being replaced. Worth a call,to you dealer to se what is covered.

Good luck

Thanks for the information! Does the TSB cover 2012 & 2013's?

Tim

Awesome video. I'll be taking a trip to Tennessee next month with a small group of friends to drive the tail of the dragon. I'm still on stock tires with 8,500 miles on them. I'm debating if I want to put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it before my trip.

LikeABauce302 said:
Awesome video. I'll be taking a trip to Tennessee next month with a small group of friends to drive the tail of the dragon. I'm still on stock tires with 8,500 miles on them. I'm debating if I want to put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it before my trip.

If I were to do it again I would of put new tires on. As you can see many a bug gave their life for this trip. Have fun but be safe!
Sorry about the two photos as I don't know why it did that. Damm computers.......
Tim
0006logo_zps74556233.jpg ]0006logo_zps74556233.jpg

I'm looking at BFG Sport Comp 2s in stock size. I don't think I'm ballin' enough for Michelin Pilot Sports lol. I can't justify the extra cost for a car that is just a nice weather cruiser. I'm also going to flush my brake fluid and replace it with DOT4.

TMO Supporting Vendors