The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Crush sleeve vs solid spacer on pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is anyone running a solid spacer in place of the crush sleeve on the pinion? Was looking around today and saw that there are solid spacers being used on some rears, didn't see one for the 8.8 though.

Recently when i pulled the drive shaft I noticed i had diff fluid leaking up through the pinion nut into the center of the flange. When I went to remove the nut there was not much tension on it at all, so wondering if for some reason it loosened up. I wasn't having any issues with the rear and it was not making any noise. Regardless, replaced the pinion seal, and pulled rear cover to see if there was any damage and all looked good. I did the count the threads, and count the turns when taking off the nut. I installed a new nut and turned it another full turn past how many I turned it off. Went out to drive and I have a horrible whine on decel. So guess I'll be having someone tear apart and put back together the right way. Just wondering anyone has been using a solid spacer in place of the crush sleeve though. Curious to with all the accelerations and deceleration swe do if that would ever compress that sleeve anymore.

The nut is locking so I doubt it backed off. The crush sleeve is used to set the preload on the piinion bearings. By over tightening it you change the preload which is not good. There is an adjustable shim solid spacer available for the 8.8, just can't remember who makes it. I used one once but I prefer the crush sleeve. Adjusting preload on the pinion bearings is technical work. Counting threads is probably not the best way to do it.

Take the time and set it up with a solid spacer if you like to hammer in it. Had to many crush sleeves give up on rears that I will not build one without using solid spacers.

TMO Supporting Vendors