The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Curb Rub.... :'(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Hey guys,

Took the car out to its second car show this morning and when I was backing up, I rubbed the front right rim against the curb. It's about a 1/4 inch in size and only on the lip of the rim, but there is a 'nice' white mark on the tire as well. Some of the guys at the show said to get some steel wool and rub it down a bit then polish it with some good polishing compound. Does this sound like a good idea or is this something I will have to take to get repaired or replace the rim.

I'm very disappointed I did this and my otherwise flawless Boss now is marred.

BLAZN BOSS

so sorry that this happened.................sux bad....................you know eventually it will happen but that first one is the worst one!

ufnavy06 said:
Hey guys,

Took the car out to its second car show this morning and when I was backing up, I rubbed the front right rim against the curb. It's about a 1/4 inch in size and only on the lip of the rim, but there is a 'nice' white mark on the tire as well. Some of the guys at the show said to get some steel wool and rub it down a bit then polish it with some good polishing compound. Does this sound like a good idea or is this something I will have to take to get repaired or replace the rim.

I'm very disappointed I did this and my otherwise flawless Boss now is marred.
Get a paint pen or small bottle of touch up paint with a small brush in gloss black. It's been used liberally on my car due to all the track carnage ;D If you get chips on your grille, you can touch them up with flat black. There's also an orange bottle that matches the CO that I've used as well.

ufnavy06

Fortunately, it wasn't on the black part of the rim. Unfortunately, it wasn't on the black part of the rim.... :'(

BLAZN BOSS

good reason to buy a rim and tire and use the damagd one as a trip spare!

GA
That sucks. I rubbed a rim on a drive-thru curb, so I bought a new one so I could use that one as a spare. Then like a month later I drifted around a wet corner (by accident) and ground both rims on the passenger side against a high curb, so I replaced both. Now I have rock chips on them from the road construction, so I can't win. Painted rims are a biznitch. I know that you want to replace it since the car is new, but eventually I guess you have to wonder if it is worth buying a new rim. Special edition cars suck in this regard if you want to keep them original.

Don't feel bad, I was switching tires and one of the rears fell over, It was at the tiled entrance to the house and caught the edge of a piece of tile, marked up the ring also.

CR3Z-1007-B and CR3Z-1007-C if these are the correct number then newfordparts has them at $391 with a $50 core charge. fordpartsgiant.com has them for $433 same core charge.

ufnavy06

I did buy the rim/tire insurance.... so maybe I can utilize that. I need to pull the paperwork out and read up on it.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Is your rim/tire warranty through Ford or the dealer? If it's through Ford I would be curious to find out what they cover, as I was looking into buying the same at the time of Boss purchase.

So far no dings on the wheels, but I've scraped up the front splitter a bit already even though I know not to get too close to curbs or curb stops. Stuff will happen 'cause we're driving 'em. Touch up when it happens, replace if necessary. Fix anything that looks really bad even from a distance...its a machine so everything can be replaced...

PJWANNABE said:
That sucks. I rubbed a rim on a drive-thru curb, so I bought a new one so I could use that one as a spare. Then like a month later I drifted around a wet corner (by accident) and ground both rims on the passenger side against a high curb, so I replaced both. Now I have rock chips on them from the road construction, so I can't win. Painted rims are a biznitch. I know that you want to replace it since the car is new, but eventually I guess you have to wonder if it is worth buying a new rim. Special edition cars suck in this regard if you want to keep them original.
Dude, if you keep buying rims, you'll never get that BOSS!

TMO Supporting Vendors