The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Curbed a wheel!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are places that will weld and paint curbed wheels and make them look like new. There is one near me that has a really good reputation, but I am sure there are similar places all over. The issue is that you won't have a wheel for a week, but it usually costs around $150 which may be worth it compared to the price of a new wheel.

They come up once in a while by people that buy the Boss for a track car, only problem is they sell in sets. The repair option is a good way to go if you can find a good shop otherwise order one from Tousley Ford. I doubt you will find one cheaper then their price.

I would look into it before welding the rim up you are safer just replacing it keep an eye on ebay. Some things are best replaced rather then welded and when it comes to rims my opinion is replace it dont take a chance on a welded rime unless you plan to drive easy only. These things always popup on ebay. Heck there is probably someone on this site willing to sell their rims.

Ouch that hurts!! Well Im always trying to find extra boss stuff and I came accross a set of wheels for $300 a piece. I can say this has been the best price I have seen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170881618449?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just picked up my dad's car from the dealer, they repaired a curbed wheel and charged him $195. The thing is, he never authorized them to do the repair. It was there to fix the AC but they fixed the wheel which wasn't even that bad and wouldn't give him back the car until he paid for it. I would have been pretty pissed, but then again things like that are why I sold my BMW and will never buy another one.

If you are only using the wheel for the street, and it is just curbing, I would not worry about having it fixed. If it was structurally damaged I'd buy a new one.

CaliMR said:
Just picked up my dad's car from the dealer, they repaired a curbed wheel and charged him $195. The thing is, he never authorized them to do the repair. It was there to fix the AC but they fixed the wheel which wasn't even that bad and wouldn't give him back the car until he paid for it. I would have been pretty pissed, but then again things like that are why I sold my BMW and will never buy another one.

If you are only using the wheel for the street, and it is just curbing, I would not worry about having it fixed. If it was structurally damaged I'd buy a new one.

Thats out there! In most states the dealer can get in serious trouble for doing an unauthorized repair.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
killerwill13 said:
CaliMR said:

Dealers can do unauthorized repairs without too many issues.

Charging for an unauthorized repair is a problem.

If the dealer demands payment for an unauthorized repair, call the law. A quick chat with law enforcement usually reminds the vendor that the law will protect the consumer.

They claimed it was authorized, though it was not on the paperwork from when he dropped it off. He was tired and wanted to go home so he just paid. That dealer has a pretty bad reputation around here, but the "good" dealer moved and is too far away now.

Unauthorized repair? Man, that's just wrong. I would lose it over that.

I'm in no hurry for the wheel replacement. It's a very minor scrape. I mainly was just looking for price and source. I have a long to-do list but intend to keep all the take off parts (hood, shifter, trunk, etc.) so that I can return the car to stock. Forgelines are on the list and I wanted to have 4 pristine factory wheels.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If it's a minor scrape then I'd seriously look into getting it reapired as long as you can find a reputable serivce that specializes in that. I had two of the wheels on my wife's DD repaired like that and it the results were perfect. I paid $125 for each wheel I believe. Most important part is that if the wheel has a clear coat they do that also. These wheels were silver clearcoat (Audi Q5) and they did it properly as opposed to just spraying a matching silver.

I hit the curb going through the drive through teller at the bank,Iwanted to cry.I only had the car a week,I barely scratch it,but just knowing it is there really pisses me off.Now when I go to the drive through,Ipark and walk up.They must think I'm crazy.

Plinker said:
I hit the curb going through the drive through teller at the bank,Iwanted to cry.I only had the car a week,I barely scratch it,but just knowing it is there really pisses me off.Now when I go to the drive through,Ipark and walk up.They must think I'm crazy.

I know that feeling - did the exact same thing to one of my recently-sold cars. That first scrape is the worst - you just go into shock for a second as you gingerly back out & swing a little wider. I know which places to avoid now with the cars (Dairy Queen is a repeat offender in that respect). And if it was that minor, wheel repair companies do really get them looking 100% stock. When I got my wheel back, it looked literally new. Check them out.

First scrape/ding/chip is always a relief for me, as I don't have to keep my car "perfect" anymore. But that said, I am looking at houses and just rejected one that was almost perfect because the driveway humps and turns at the same time and I know eventually I would curb a wheel since it is basically blind taking the turn.

CPTMAC689
Join the club. I curbed the left front also. A friend of mine that does dent removal for several new car dealers gave me the info that I was looking for. I looked up Mobil rim repair on line, and was able to find a guy that travels to the same dealers every week in my area to make rim repairs. I made an appointment to meet him at a dealer close to me when it was his day to be there. It will cost more to have him come to your house. If the damage is real deep you can take the rim to a rim repair place and they can machine the face. What I thought was bad wasn't at all. Ten min. and $50 bucks later I was headed home. you can't tell that it was damaged at all. Be sure and use a guy that does rim repair at a higher end dealer, like a Lexus , Audi, Jag, ect. He will be the one to do the best job . Good luck.

There's a set for sale in the classified section. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors