The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Curriosity............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A lot of my track buddies drive Z06s and a few of them are very good drivers. For about $1200 they can get 500 rwhp with an intake, exhaust and tune so they're all running at least that. We ran together at Spring Mountain in Z06s in the Ron Fellowes advanced school. While we weren't getting any lap times, they weren't catching me and I never caught them so we're pretty equal drivers. Last year at BIR they were running about 2 seconds faster than me in the Boss and faster than all of the Porsches. When I drove the Z06 on track I thought it allowed you to drive so much more aggressively due to the massive tires. Many of them are running 345s out back and at least 315s up front.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You have no idea how it rings true to me - I grew up in NYC and had friends that lived in Brooklyn. Dadio !

Z06 is definitely faster than either the Boss or GT3. Last month I had a student with a new ZR-1. UNBELIEVABLE! Guess it should be for $120K...

BLAZN BOSS

They are still cheverolets.............JUNK...........what does an 80 to 100K Ford capable of doing?...............ask a GT 40! : ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BLAZN BOSS

they sold for 139K to be exact....but later increased to 149 (less Admin)...........but still the ZR1 and all that other junk GM makes needs to cross the 100K line to beat fords..............Cheverolet has NEVER been able to compete the same year or with an equivilent engine with FoMoCo.............its always a year later........with more cubic inches or some wild engineered thing.

BLAZN BOSS

Heck yeah............302 cubic inches................making the exotic and relativly expensive car owners pull their hair/wallets out just equal or stay ahead of a production car that any Joe can get...........41 to 49K.............not a lot more than a loaded GT and less than a Shelby............Built in the same line up the V6's are coming down.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
PeteInCT said:
Chuck - How do you think the LS would do against a bone stock GT3? Big track (VIR, WG) as well as small (LRP),

I will be able to answer that question in a couple of weeks. I own a stock 996GT3 that I track on street tires @ Sebring and I will have the da Boss @ Sebring Dec 11 with Chin. Boss will have camber plates, brake ducts and be running on OEM Pirelli's.

Peter

BLAZN BOSS said:
Mid if I ask what a GT3 costs?
While the link below states they started at $90K I think closer to $100K was more typical with options. The newest 2011 GT3 RS 4.0 is over $150K.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2000-2004-porsche-911-gt3-996-ar1257.html

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2007-porsche-911-gt3-997-review-ar6288.html

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
996GT3 cost 103k to 115k new. They can be purchased used today from low 40's to around 60k. 997.1GT3 are going from low of 65k to 85k depending on mileage and options.

Peter.

BLAZN BOSS

3X a Boss.........theres a lesson here somewhere 8) Ok. used 2X a Boss..........used......hmmmmmmmmmmm Something about a pretty car on a used lot........its like an ex wife.........theres a reason nobody wants it!

BLAZN BOSS

with all due respect 5dot 0..........dont want to, dont need to, never had the ddesire to.......It's my opinion and i dont force it on anyone, but I loathe anything that has to do with ANY foriegn car..........Too much of good us money goes overseas........I know, we have all kinds of overseas parts and labor in our American cars.........but when I paid for my Ford i know the profit went to Edsel II......Sorry my feelings are way too strong about this........maybe we would be the america we once were if we stop using overseas parts/help, stop importing those "cars" and reinvested in Uncle Sam? We would struggle for a little while but would survive........ JMO.

We don't just import we export as well. To make the assumption that something is wrong with a car just because it is on a used car lot, is just plain WRONG.

ChuckP said:
PeteInCT said:
Chuck - How do you think the LS would do against a bone stock GT3? Big track (VIR, WG) as well as small (LRP),
If you check out my "Uncorked" video from Summit Point, the red car I was catching in the twisties and passed on the straight (granted he broke WAY too early...probably to let me by) is a stock GT3 who was running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeixvGMVBl8

I think the Boss (especially LS) is equal or slightly faster than a stock GT3 (drivers, tires etc. being equal) on most tracks. However, the same is probably not true for a GT3RS and certainly not true for GT3 Cup cars.

Roketman may his own opinions on this since his driving skills exceed mine by a wide margin and I'm sure he's passed his share of GT3s and other German hot rods on the track.

I love my Boss, but sorry dude, this is laughable. A bone stock GT3 will absolutely WALK a Boss on the track, both long and short. No question about it. You cannot use track days and HPDE to gauge what car is faster around the track because a lot of people who do those event aren't pushing, just out to have fun. I've seen guys in Boxster's pass GT3's down the straights during track days. Does that mean the Boxster is faster? Hell no, he's just pushing hard and the GT3 is taking it easy.

But I will tell you with 100% certainty that stock for stock and all being equal, the Boss doesn't stand a chance against a GT3.

EDIT: That GT3 you passed was a 996. I'm speaking towards the new 997.2GT3 as I have extensive personal experience in both it and the Boss. Also raced them head to head. As great as the Boss is, it's simply not in the same league as a GT3 (and shouldn't be as it costs 1/3 as much).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel