The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Curriosity............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
And how many years of experience do you have in a GT3 ?

I am the last one to bash a Porsche or any formidable car from any manufacturer, and stating that a Boss LS is on the same plane as a GT3 is not bashing a GT3 by any means. I have driven them and driven 'against' them, albeit in HDPE events in an advanced run group. I have seen FIRST HAND a Laguna Seca (driven by a pro driver) absolutely TOAST a GT3 (driven my a very experienced instructor) at Limerock. True, the driver's were not identical but the difference between the cars was so vast that I believe it was impossible for the driver to make that much of a difference. To me this was an indication of some level of parity.

Also, think about it logically - about 75 REAL HP difference with a tame rear end on a LS. The weight advantage of the GT3 is soaked up somewhat by it's tail-happy nature I've been told by many who drive them. This is NOT a GT3RS we are talking about.

You make it sound like the two cars are on totally different planets. I beg to differ and agree with ChuckP's assessment.

PeteInCT said:
And how many years of experience do you have in a GT3 ?

I am the last one to bash a Porsche or any formidable car from any manufacturer, and stating that a Boss LS is on the same plane as a GT3 is not bashing a GT3 by any means. I have driven them and driven 'against' them, albeit in HDPE events in an advanced run group. I have seen FIRST HAND a Laguna Seca (driven by a pro driver) absolutely TOAST a GT3 (driven my a very experienced instructor) at Limerock. True, the driver's were not identical but the difference between the cars was so vast that I believe it was impossible for the driver to make that much of a difference. To me this was an indication of some level of parity.

Also, think about it logically - about 75 REAL HP difference with a tame rear end on a LS. The weight advantage of the GT3 is soaked up somewhat by it's tail-happy nature I've been told by many who drive them. This is NOT a GT3RS we are talking about.

You make it sound like the two cars are on totally different planets. I beg to differ and agree with ChuckP's assessment.

That's fine no harm in disagreeing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As far as experience, I have plenty. I have to re-emphasize that HPDE's are not races! Much of the advantage you have in a GT3 are in scenarios that you can't exploit at a HPDE.

What do you mean 75hp difference? GT3 is 435, about the same as the Boss. Suspension, chassis, and brakes are all vastly superior. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the Boss...I HAVE one and love it! But as much as I love it I'm still objective enough to say when something outperforms it.

That being said, I agree with Cloud9. You could definitely build a Boss to hand a GT3 its ass for <$70K all in. But stock for stock, it's game over for the Boss.

No need to speculate. This is from post #16 in this thread. Porsche 911's are one of my favorite cars and I've owned two of them. I'm not saying a Boss is a match for a GT3 but they are closer than you are giving them credit for when driven by professional drivers.

LSfastestlaps.jpg

^ Agreed. I'm probably not giving the Boss enough credit and those numbers are a little surprising, albeit the fact that that is a 997.1GT3 with the 3.6 and not a 997.2 with the 3.8. Also, not to be a nitpick, but in actual competition (not HPDE) 0.7s is an eternity. Compound that over an entire race and you have a significant margin of victory.

That being said, if it wasn't winter and all the cars put away, and I had a chance to hop in either the Boss or the GT3 right now, I would have a real tough time not turning that red key ;D..

Hopefully my new Tiger hood is worth at least 0.7s :D From what I read, they picked up 4 SECONDS on the race car with just the hood swap. That hardly seems plausible to me, but if I get half that at BIR I'll really be raising hell with those Porsches next spring. 8) I just hope they don't tell me I can't play with them any more :'(

That Tiger hood is awesome and IMO pretty much a necessity if you frequent the track. 4 seconds seems a bit 'ambitious' but sure would be nice haha!

5 DOT 0 said:
Just having the Boss discussed with the GT3 is a Win in my book. ;D

Oh yeah! And all the camparo's that have been done with much more expensive cars just shows the Boss is in there league.

PABOSS said:
That's fine no harm in disagreeing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As far as experience, I have plenty. I have to re-emphasize that HPDE's are not races! Much of the advantage you have in a GT3 are in scenarios that you can't exploit at a HPDE.
Speaking of racing here's a few links for you to do a bit of research. The 302S and 302R turn-key race cars use the exact same engine as the street boss sans emissions.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/bosscompare.asp

http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/event.cfm?series=k&eid=2351

http://www.world-challenge.com/

BLAZN BOSS

I'm pretty sure.............they list them on lots of sales sites...........possibly the emissions change.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel