Welcome to Track Mustangs Online

Join the BEST track enthusiast Mustang community on the web!

Register Log in

Custom pads for 4 pot Bremen - how much thicker can I go?

Duane Black

TMO Race
Reaction score
So I’m moving to the 4 piston 14 inch brembo . I’m also surprised to see stock pads are thinner than they are for the 2 piston sliders in my car. I’ve heard of people asking a custom pad builder such as Porterfield to add a little extra thickness. Curious then- how thick can you custom order brake pads before dust boots, pistons, or maybe even those .5mm titanium shims I have an eye on mean it just won’t fit anymore?

Grant 302

OPM Spent: $665,833
Reaction score
I think you’d be lucky to make them 0.5-1.0mm thicker. Installing new pads with 0.5mm shims doesn’t seem to have a lot of extra room, but I haven’t measured it or tried to get anything thicker in there.

DocB

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
On the Brembo 4-piston race caliper the Ti heat shield plates will take up all the room.
Barely a red hairs worth of space left.
We're talking new pads of course.
But not sure what setup you have.
Suggestion: Install new pads with new rotors and measure how much space you have left. I think you will find that it won't pay to have custom pads made up.

TMSBOSS

TMO Addict
Reaction score
I have had success with stock pads and 1mm shims on Gyrodisc rotors. With DBA rotors I cannot use the shims until the pads wear down. Excess room for thicker pads just aint there.

Spencer Terry

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
On the Brembo 4-piston race caliper the Ti heat shield plates will take up all the room.
Barely a red hairs worth of space left.
We're talking new pads of course.
But not sure what setup you have.
Suggestion: Install new pads with new rotors and measure how much space you have left. I think you will find that it won't pay to have custom pads made up.
I was actually fitting some gloc r16 pads and could only fit one shim.... had to bed them a bit and then slide in the other! Not much room....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts