The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom pads for 4 pot Bremen - how much thicker can I go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So I’m moving to the 4 piston 14 inch brembo . I’m also surprised to see stock pads are thinner than they are for the 2 piston sliders in my car. I’ve heard of people asking a custom pad builder such as Porterfield to add a little extra thickness. Curious then- how thick can you custom order brake pads before dust boots, pistons, or maybe even those .5mm titanium shims I have an eye on mean it just won’t fit anymore?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think you’d be lucky to make them 0.5-1.0mm thicker. Installing new pads with 0.5mm shims doesn’t seem to have a lot of extra room, but I haven’t measured it or tried to get anything thicker in there.

On the Brembo 4-piston race caliper the Ti heat shield plates will take up all the room.
Barely a red hairs worth of space left.
We're talking new pads of course.
But not sure what setup you have.
Suggestion: Install new pads with new rotors and measure how much space you have left. I think you will find that it won't pay to have custom pads made up.

On the Brembo 4-piston race caliper the Ti heat shield plates will take up all the room.
Barely a red hairs worth of space left.
We're talking new pads of course.
But not sure what setup you have.
Suggestion: Install new pads with new rotors and measure how much space you have left. I think you will find that it won't pay to have custom pads made up.
I was actually fitting some gloc r16 pads and could only fit one shim.... had to bed them a bit and then slide in the other! Not much room....

TMO Supporting Vendors