The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom side exhaust for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rip said:
USNJocsun those are sweet. Can you post some pictures of them installed?
Ground clearance? I have T springs, car is a bit low.
Measurement to the ground, is your BOSS stock ride height?
Thanks Steve

Currently on stock height. Will be lowering my car in the next couple weeks
9820649336_e7e2de74e9_z.jpg

Thanks Terry, that is probably what I would have, I have T Springs. My splitter is 5-1/2" to the ground.
Do you run them w/o the restrictors?
How does it sound?
Steve

Sound is fantastic. Exhaust is stock otherwise and no plates. You can still carryon a conversation just not when you're getting on it. But cruising is pleasant and with the windows up its a dull roar on acceleration.
I can only imagine what it sounds like in the cars next to me when I take off at a light. Sounds nice when there are cars on both sides and you roll by them.

Terry

I have the Steeda Boss springs with Kooks pipes. The bottom of the side pipe tips are 3 1/2" from the ground. Tall speed bumps are a problem. Either drive at an angle to the speed bumps or drive around. Either way the sound is worth the inconvenience. I won't go back to stock.
e2u6uma9.jpg

Terry
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
For those who have these, as it's a little hard to tell in the side-by-side pic: Do you think the factory tip could replace the Kooks tip easily (cutting & welding)? Should the brackets line up? Or maybe cutting a little further back where the pipe begins to flatten?

I'm fine not having the side-tips show and think using the factory ends would help with clearance just a slight bit. I'd like (most of ;) ) the Kooks for better sound quality and increased noise (I'd go from 7/8" discs to open or QTP's). I figure even using just the first half of the Kooks will be enough to replace some of the tin-coffee-can sound and the overall effect might be nice.

y6ajugej.jpg

I'm no expert on this stuff but I wouldn't think you could do that. Factory pipes are flattened while Kooks are round plus Kooks has a different mounting point near the pinch weld. The lowest point on the kooks is the entire system not just the tips.

vega3u7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Ah yes; I see. The mid-point seems just as low, or lower, than the tips. Very helpful. Thanks for the pic.

Any of you running these with the stock rear exhaust? If so, do you feel an axle-back is needed to balance the sound?

Is there anyone in/around Georgia selling a set of stock side pipes? I hit a recap on the interstate tonight and it tore the bracket off of my side pipe :/

Man I feel for ya. Your lucky thats all it did. those recaps can do major damage to your car when hitting them. Must of sounded like holy hell when you hit it.

boss man said:
Man I feel for ya. Your lucky thats all it did. those recaps can do major damage to your car when hitting them. Must of sounded like holy hell when you hit it.
Yea I was livid ! Guess that's what I get from driving at night :/ If anyone knows where I can get one or a set please let me know. Thanks

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
WorldFamousZ said:
I may have missed it, but can these work with the QTP cutouts? I think on the first version of these you could not, not sure if that's the same now or not...
your thinking of kooks side pipes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel