The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom side exhaust for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve,

Why would you replace the entire side pipe instead of just the portion behind the restrictor plate/spacer? Doing only the last section retains the option to use restrictor plates or electric (QTP or other) dump valves which is a big plus IMO.

Also, will your pipe retain access to the rear jacking point?

- Mike

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
GottaBoss said:
Steve,

Why would you replace the entire side pipe instead of just the portion behind the restrictor plate/spacer? Doing only the last section retains the option to use restrictor plates or electric (QTP or other) dump valves which is a big plus IMO.

Also, will your pipe retain access to the rear jacking point?

- Mike
the portion after the plate/spacer is the entire side pipe...
419529_366945723338005_2111994959_n.jpg

422984_366945366671374_806724411_n.jpg

424535_366945080004736_183134468_n.jpg

423721_366944720004772_775994150_n.jpg

Justin said:
the portion after the plate/spacer is the entire side pipe...

Well heck, I should have known that - I installed my own cutouts. Sheesh! Sorry. :-[

Okay, I'm interested subject to getting more details and availability of funds.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
GottaBoss said:
Well heck, I should have known that - I installed my own cutouts. Sheesh! Sorry. :-[

Okay, I'm interested subject to getting more details and availability of funds.
no harm just thought you might have known something I didnt. you can disconnect it after the flex pipe but that one is a PITA to get lined back up.

Thanks for clearing that up and for the pictures. Gottaboss had me confused with that question. We are talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the whole pipe after the restricter plates yes. Just like the pictures above show. The thing is the factory side pipes are small and hidden. Mine are bigger and can be clearly seen. Once you open the side pipes up and make them bigger you also get bigger sound. Does that make sense? No tune needed. Probably a few extra horses. Cheaper than a whole new exhaust system. Easy install. Looks great. What else can I say?

Steve said:
Thanks for clearing that up and for the pictures. Gottaboss had me confused with that question. We are talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the whole pipe after the restricter plates yes. Just like the pictures above show. The thing is the factory side pipes are small and hidden. Mine are bigger and can be clearly seen. Once you open the side pipes up and make them bigger you also get bigger sound. Does that make sense? No tune needed. Probably a few extra horses. Cheaper than a whole new exhaust system. Easy install. Looks great. What else can I say?

You can say the first batch is ready! ;D

Steve said:

I agree. It as it doesn't melt anything it should be a definite improvement in appearance and it would be really nice to be able to stop explaining the side pipes to non-Boss people.

I have the QTP cutouts so I'm assuming I would have an even larger range of sound from fully closed to fully open - which is good.

How do the pipes exiting horizontally change the sound from the cabin and outside the car? As I recall the idea was to reflect the sound off the pavement which increased the sound level in the cabin while maintaining drive-by levels within 'acceptable' limits. Does a horizontal exit make it louder for bystanders and quieter in the cabin? Just curious.

No it's definitely louder in the car also. I will when the Lopey idle kicks in it sounds amazing in or outside the car. I drove to my dealership today which is about 50 miles each way. On the highway in 6th gear it's a nice low rumble at around 2000 to 2500 rpm. No drone or anything but in the lower gears when you hit about 4k and above it sounds like a race car to me. That's the best I can describe it. I absolutely love that sound. Anyway another thing was I was a little worried getting my oil changed they would notice the side exhaust and void my warranty or something. They didn't say a word about. They were just drooling. But they don't see many bosses their . They only got one in 2012 that I bought and one in 2013 that sold fast.

Steve said:
Ground clearance hasn't been an issue at all for me and I have speed bumps on the raid in front of my house. It is lower than stock of course but I would have to measure them to see how much exactly. Anyway it's never been an issue with stock springs.not sure about the lowering springs.

Have you been able to take some measurements? Love the idea. I'm running ARH LTH's with their offroad x. I have the stock sidepipes, but also have lowered my car with T-springs. No way would the Kooks setup work....so have been looking for something better than stock, but with a bit better clearance than the Kooks pipes.

This could be just what the doctor ordered! With the new side pipes, do they eliminate the "jake brake" sound that you get with the stock side pipes with restrictors removed?

Wow lots of questions. Lots of interest. Sounds like I need to get busy. I will answer all your questions and yes I will make video. As I said I have about 8 or 10 videos on my you tube page of what I'm running now. Ill try and find a direct link for everyone. Just remember that I haven't actually made the fist set yet. All I have are the set I modified to work that I'm running now. The new ones will be made better but the sound and look of them will be very similar if not exactly like what I have now. When I say look similar I mean the part you can see sticking out beside the car. I hope that makes sense. Someone ask about ground clearance. As I said I've had no issues with that but I'm at stock height. Speed bumps are no problem. I just did a measurement of what I have now and it's about 2 and a half inches lower than the hidden stock pipes. They are 4 inches off the road. If I can lessen that any on the new ones I will but you have to remember in order to for them to be seen its they will have to be like that. The opening itself is about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long. I love the look. All the rest of the pipe is 3 inch. If I made smaller it would change the sound and look and I don't think anyone wants that.

Will it do away with the jake break sound? No they won't . Does any exhaust setup do away with the jake break sound? None that I've heard of. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in and tell you how to get rid of that. I personally like it but I know some don't . An exhaust change won't take that away but maybe someone can tell you how to do it here or in another thread.

Steve said:
Wow lots of questions. Lots of interest. Sounds like I need to get busy. I will answer all your questions and yes I will make video. As I said I have about 8 or 10 videos on my you tube page of what I'm running now. Ill try and find a direct link for everyone. Just remember that I haven't actually made the fist set yet. All I have are the set I modified to work that I'm running now. The new ones will be made better but the sound and look of them will be very similar if not exactly like what I have now. When I say look similar I mean the part you can see sticking out beside the car. I hope that makes sense. Someone ask about ground clearance. As I said I've had no issues with that but I'm at stock height. Speed bumps are no problem. I just did a measurement of what I have now and it's about 2 and a half inches lower than the hidden stock pipes. They are 4 inches off the road. If I can lessen that any on the new ones I will but you have to remember in order to for them to be seen its they will have to be like that. The opening itself is about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long. I love the look. All the rest of the pipe is 3 inch. If I made smaller it would change the sound and look and I don't think anyone wants that.

3" piping :eek: thats a bit of an overkill dont you think. The Kooks are 2" in diameter and it's LOUD.

But I trust that this will be an awesome product and from the brief youtube conversations we've had I know they will be done with care and attention to detail.

I'm no expert on you tube. I think the easiest way to find my videos is to do a search on you tube with the words "Steve ford boss 302". Look for the videos with the red and white boss. They are very amateur and made with the windows down so you can kinda get the idea. I will make better videos for the new pipes. Crank up the volume.

Interested in the pipes when/if they become available!
That is awesome :D

Edit: Steve's youtube name is "Steve Ford"
I think this is the side pipe video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYnxWqGJVwk

Steve said:
I'm no expert on you tube. I think the easiest way to find my videos is to do a search on you tube with the words "Steve ford boss 302". Look for the videos with the red and white boss. They are very amateur and made with the windows down so you can kinda get the idea. I will make better videos for the new pipes. Crank up the volume.

Steve,

To post a youtube link in your post....

1. Open a new browser page and go to the youtube video you want to use
2. Click in the address bar at the top of the page and the entire address should highlight
3. Press the 'Ctrl' key and 'C' keys at the same time (Ctlr-C).
4. Go back to your post page and press the 'Ctrl' key and 'V' keys at the same time (Ctrl-V) - this should copy the youtube address into your post.
5. When you finish your post the copied address will become a link that will take anyone clicking on it directly to your video.

You can do this for multiple videos if you want to include links for more than one in your post.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel