The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom side exhaust for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took my discs out 2 years ago. The new sidepipes attach just like the factory ones so using the discs or electric cutouts should be no problem. The sidepipes on their site are the new ones with and cost $612. I just looked and they are offering free shipping now. You can order online or call them. They're very helpful. If going online then click on the Ford setup and scroll down to the complete Boss exhaust and then click on the sidepipe description and the item will come up and allow you to add it to the cart.
I have several audio clips of the exhaust running through the gears but don't know how to post audio here. I have messaged and emailed them to several people. Send a PM and I'll send over the clips with windows up and down using iPhone held at ear level and not near the pipes.

Can somebody upload those sound clips to youtube or something?
Conversely, someone can send them to me and I can host them on my server. Would love to hear this!

Hypermotive, site sponsor here, is running a Christmas sale on these updated sidepipes from Kooks with free shipping. PM jayman33 to get in on these.

Steve, I know you have done a lot of work fixing this, and thank you! It sounds as if the jake brake sound (which I can't stand) has been almost eliminated. Just for grins, I removed the side pipes completly to see what it would sound like. I was pure magic! Zero back rap, or jake brake sound, perfect tone yet a little loud. I drove it a little but was worried about excess heat and o2 fumes. I think some flanges and slight turndown tips would be awesome but I don't have the resources to tinker with it. You would lose the visual effects of the side pipes but would gain awesome sound that you could still tune with the disks. I just re-installed the 1/2" disks because the jakey sound is horrible to me, I love the volume of open pipes though and will more than likely buy the Pypes if someone could do a video of the Boss passing by on deceleration.

I'd like to hear them too. It may help sway me since Kooks is telling me that they WILL work with the QTP cutouts. I'm not a fan of the jake brake sound but am addicted to the open pipes on acceleration.

K9guard1 said:
Steve, I know you have done a lot of work fixing this, and thank you! It sounds as if the jake brake sound (which I can't stand) has been almost eliminated. Just for grins, I removed the side pipes completly to see what it would sound like. I was pure magic! Zero back rap, or jake brake sound, perfect tone yet a little loud. I drove it a little but was worried about excess heat and o2 fumes. I think some flanges and slight turndown tips would be awesome but I don't have the resources to tinker with it. You would lose the visual effects of the side pipes but would gain awesome sound that you could still tune with the disks. I just re-installed the 1/2" disks because the jakey sound is horrible to me, I love the volume of open pipes though and will more than likely buy the Pypes if someone could do a video of the Boss passing by on deceleration.

I was thinking of the same. I wonder if cutting the original side pipes (or buying new side pipes and cutting those if you want to keep the original) would work? That is cutting them a few inches just beyond the fuel line on one side with a downward opening cut would accomplish what you suggested. It would direct fumes down and slightly backward and away from the car. It would alleviate this concern:
http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15513-side-pipes-removed-running-open-exhaust/

It would save weight, and eliminate any clearance issues, too. Similar to these:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Turndowns/
I would like to hear the opinion of the members of this forum. Thank you.

K9guard1 said:
I have the Pypes super system catback installed on my boss with the disks removed. I love it!

Black on Boss said:
I have the Pypes super system catback installed on my boss with the disks removed. I love it!

Do you mean that you replaced the factory Boss side pipes with components of the Pypes super system catback? This thread is about customizing the side pipes.

NWBoss said:
Do you mean that you replaced the factory Boss side pipes with components of the Pypes super system catback? This thread is about customizing the side pipes.

No I have the stock h pipe and side pipes but with the Pypes super system catback behind the stock h pipe. I thought that's what K9guard1 was asking about hearing.

K9guard1] I removed the side pipes completly to see what it would sound like. I was pure magic! Zero back rap said:
I was thinking of the same. I wonder if cutting the original side pipes (or buying new side pipes and cutting those if you want to keep the original) would work? That is cutting them a few inches just beyond the fuel line on one side with a downward opening cut would accomplish what you suggested. It would direct fumes down and slightly backward and away from the car. It would alleviate this concern:
http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15513-side-pipes-removed-running-open-exhaust/

It would save weight, and eliminate any clearance issues, too. Similar to these:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Turndowns/
I would like to hear the opinion of the members of this forum. Thank you.

Any thoughts on this idea? Would there be any disadvantage cutting the side pipes in a long diagonal cut which would direct the exhaust downward, under the car? Would it be a solution for this problem mentioned in this thread:

In case of a downward cutout, would the exhaust fumes be "pushed" into the cabin through the floor by the strong air flow under the car causing carbon monoxide poisoning?

I am interested in this because it allows to keep the nice sound in the cabin, and at the same time reduce the weight by about 8 pounds without dumping the hot exhaust directly on the frame rails. The car is on a weight reduction diet and I can remove the side exhausts completely (11 pounds) and close off the flanges but then I will lose some of the sound. Maybe it would not matter as I replaced the stock rear mufflers with the Corsa Extremes in the back already.

Not sure how to post a video on this forum but heres a clip of my gopro mounted near the rear 1/4 windows to get the sound of the side pipes and axle back. The exhaust mods are in the description and my kooks side pipes are run with the 5/8" plates. Plenty of other set-ups and vids on my channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjD71vbcpk

USNJocsun those are sweet. Can you post some pictures of them installed?
Ground clearance? I have T springs, car is a bit low.
Measurement to the ground, is your BOSS stock ride height?
Thanks Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel