The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom side exhaust for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After my experience with the Kooks side exhaust and hearing everyone else talking about their own fitment issues I have been thinking of having some made. After making mine fit I know exactly what they need done to make them right. Actually much better than anything out there right now. I have a good friend that is a fabricator. Went to NASCAR fab school and now owns his own shop. Almost exclusively fords and a huge mustang fan. Anyway to get to the point. He looked at my 2012 boss and after telling him my issues decided he can make these better. Way better than Kooks. Sorry Kooks. Using the same grade stainless steel and putting the bends in the correct place using my car as a template. Also putting a short piece of flex pipe like ford did at the factory to avoid rattles. We can make them better and cheaper than anyone else. The only thing is I need to make about 20 sets to make it worthwhile to all of us and keep the price down. We are thinking around 350 a set but not sure until we get into it. Oh and they will be garuanteed to fit your factory h pipe. These things sound like a race car. I won't lie they are loud but that's what I want. You can quit them down with the plate or the qfre still if you wanted. I'm posting it here exclusively for now to see if I get enough interest to go ahead with this. Please respond if your interested or have questions. Like I said I need about 20 or it's not worth the effort. As far as I know the 2012 and 2013 boss are exactly the same as far as the side exhaust. Tell me if I'm wrong about that. Thanks for responding.

I would be interested in these side pipes, but would like to see detailed pictures of the fabrication and the installation before finalizing my order. One of my concerns is that I have the Roush Side Splitters installed and am worried about the heat of the sidepipes depending on how they are designed.

I can do that for sure. I don't know much about the rousch side splitters. I can tell you I haven't had any issues with melting or anything on the factory parts. I do run it hard but don't track my car. I will definitely take pictures and video of the process. I do have some videos on you tube already of the kooks side exhaust that I made to fit myself but these will be much better. I'm going to run the first set onine anyway so I will know they are perfect before I get into this. Anyway look on YouTube for the red and white boss with the kooks side exhaust and you can get an idea of my current setup. And sound. Made with my iPhone so not perfect. Especially the sound. Sounds way better in person. Crank up the volume first. The new ones will be similar but made much better. Btw I'm not asking for a commitment right now. Just need to see if its possible to sell about 20 sets.

It'll be about 6 months before I am in a position to start doing all of my serious modding, but I would def be interested in these when the time comes around.

Shawn

Ground clearance hasn't been an issue at all for me and I have speed bumps on the raid in front of my house. It is lower than stock of course but I would have to measure them to see how much exactly. Anyway it's never been an issue with stock springs.not sure about the lowering springs.

sounds good.

I'd personally want something smoother and perhaps slightly larger (or at least maintains the diameter) till the end to flow the same.

and as someone else stated, I have Roush side splitters so it would have to have no issues with that item.

I want a set!!! It bugs me that you cannot see the pipes, you can hear them when you stand next to the door. I also have the Roush side skirts. I dont think there would be a problem, if you are not melting the factory lower trim, then the skirts should be fine.

Im actually making my own turn-down pipes that terminate right after the flange from my ARH x-pipe. Got sick and tired of the side pipes being in the way of a solid jacking point. Might add a valve so I can open/close on demand. For now I have taken out the side pipes and placed a solid disc on each side to block the entire pipe opening.

I'd like a set of 'shorties' that bolt up to the stock pipes at the joint where the restrictor plates go and exit the side so they are visible. In other words, that just replace the last section of the side pipe.

GottaBoss said:
I'd like a set of 'shorties' that bolt up to the stock pipes at the joint where the restrictor plates go and exit the side so they are visible. In other words, that just replace the last section of the side pipe.

Me too.

Like a few others, I too have some concerns. I am running a Kooks h-pipe and an curious if it would bolt right up with or without spacers.

For those complaining about melting the Roush side-splitter. You can have the tips powdercoated in a matte finish to keep the tips cool. I did that to my Kooks side pipes, granted, I only have 1 Kooks side pipe mounted on because the other is a pain in the butt to get anywhere near bolting in. The one powdercoated Kooks side pipe is pretty much touching the Roush splitter and has not shown any signs of melting. After a good 10-13 mile drive I got out to check on the side pipe and it was warm. Just warm!

In my very first statement I said they will work with the qfre cutouts. I actually meant to say qtp cutouts. Qfre is my friends nickname I was talking to online lol. I think everyone knew what I meant. Anyway they will work with the QTP cutouts is what i should have said, which I plan on getting sometime soon. And they will work without the qtp obviously . You can also buy the little restricter plate with the bigger holes that someone here sells. I like how they look and sound. I don't go a day without a compliment on my exhaust. When I had the factory side pipes on that no one can see I had people telling me I had an exhaust leak because they could see the condensation or whatever on cold days coming out in front of the back wheels. Lol they thought it was an exhaust leak. Know there is no confusion. Just compliments. I did have a friend tell me that I wake him up every morning when I pass his house at 5 am. Lol that's why I want the qtp cutouts. But only will be used in the early mornings lol.

I'm not sure if they will fit the kooks h pipe. Right now I can tell you they will definitely fit the stock h pipe with the spacer in or take the spacer out and use the qtp cutouts as was originally intended. The flange will be laser cut and there will be some room for adjustment built into them. Is the kooks h pipe flange or the length different than the factory h pipe?

I would be game to try a set once pics were available. I would love to have a set where the side pipes are more visible and look better (see the old Bassani Cobra R version). Best sounded exhaust I've ever heard on a mustang, and after owning 16 stangs with every exhaust known to man, I've heard alot.

Steve, Just curious, I'm not a gearhead....Is there instructions to change the stock side exhaust to your Kook side exhaust or is it pretty straight forward. I have no idea what's involved since my son took the restrictor plates out of the car when I got it. He used the angle between the sloped driveway & level garage so he didn't need to lift the car at all. How much louder are they compared to the stock side exhaust with no plates? I might be in on this also. I don't want something to become a LE magnet...I'm on that borderline right now.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
302BOB said:
Steve, Just curious, I'm not a gearhead....Is there instructions to change the stock side exhaust to your Kook side exhaust or is it pretty straight forward. I have no idea what's involved since my son took the restrictor plates out of the car when I got it. He used the angle between the sloped driveway & level garage so he didn't need to lift the car at all. How much louder are they compared to the stock side exhaust with no plates? I might be in on this also. I don't want something to become a LE magnet...I'm on that borderline right now.
side pipes....two 15mm nuts and one 15mm bolt per side. easier then changing oil...

The installation is very simple. I don't even lift the car. It's about a ten minute job on each side for me. If you don't mind lying on your back which I don't mind. Reaching underneath with a 15 mm wrench take off two nuts from the flange. You will see them easily if you look. Then I more short 15 mm bolt at the outside edge of the car. Again easy to see it and remove it. Pull the pipe right off. The new pipe will fit just like the old one. Very very simple job. Yes they are louder than stock I think I described that above. Of course I will make pictures and video including sound when I get the first one completed. You can get an idea of the sound on my YouTube page. Do a search for boss 302 kooks side exhaust and look for the red and white boss. I have about ten videos on there. They will sound very much if not exactly like those videos. I will be happy to walk you through the installation in detail if you need by phone or email or whatever.

TMO Supporting Vendors