The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom Side Pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in the process of fabricating a set of side pipes.
My objectives are:
1) Keep the same height as the stock setup 1” tall or just a ¼” taller
2) Keep the same area as a 2” pipe and enlarge to a 5x1 oval at the rocker
3) Exit in the same location as stock but discharge past the rocker.
4) Use a stock type flex pipe.
5) Use another mounting point to free up the stock jacking point.
6) Fabricate from Stainless Steel.

3DSidePipeModelISO_zps7ef3758a.jpg

3DSidePipeModel_zps8b5e6372.jpg

I'm wondering the same thing lol! I thought about building a 3" oval set of side pipes off a customs x pipe but don't want the extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single most important for me is making use of the rear jacking points. I mean both the slot and the flat plate area near the LCA. Its a pain to do your own work and have to remove side pipes constantly.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
kooks side pipes are working just fine....the lowest point is the oval tip if you go 3" tip oval you will want to go much thinner then kooks did.

I can get to the one pinch weld access area just fine with my kooks side pipes.

kody said:
I'm wondering the same thing lol! I thought about building a 3" oval set of side pipes off a customs x pipe but don't want the extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think these will weigh any more than a pound over stock.

302BOB said:
Bottom line.........What are you trying to achieve that's better than we got now...I'm all for improving things.. ;)

I plan on lowering my car in the future and the stock pipes are very restrictive since Ford used 2 inch tube and squashed it to 1 inch high. I also would like to see the discharge from the side of the car.

I am sourcing the oval material and I am hoping to find something close that I can buy if not I will just go to plan b and get it fabricated.

Paul

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yeah kooks makes them from 2" and they are plenty loud. going bigger to 3" I dont see any benefit from this as the outlet from the h-pipe is only 2". and at 2" its very very very loud.

The 304 SS materials.

imagejpg3_zps9a086b84.jpg

imagejpg1_zps9a82213c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps90a51b6a.jpg

The welding

imagejpg4_zps02d2d44f.jpg

Side by side

imagejpg1_zps669c27ad.jpg

imagejpg2_zps50898eb5.jpg

imagejpg5_zps0bc9afa6.jpg

Under the car

imagejpg1_zps711e54a4.jpg

Side view

imagejpg1_zpsc3973d1f.jpg

Still making a few adjustments and I used the other threaded mounting point so the stock lift point is now open.
I might fab another tip that shoots straight out but there is not much room down there.

Paul

Looks like you've done a really nice job. What adjustments are you making? Is there a difference in the sound since the new pipes have a larger cross section?

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Looks good in your pics. Like the way it dumps out,being visible now. If performance is at least the same, I would be interested in getting a pair.

GottaBoss said:
Looks like you've done a really nice job. What adjustments are you making? Is there a difference in the sound since the new pipes have a larger cross section?

Thanks, the adjustments are trimming and polishing the tips and there is a big difference in the sound. I went for a test ride yesterday and they are loud. I am putting QTP cut outs on so I can adjust. I have Borla ATAK mufflers on the car and that was a big change over stock and these are a improvement over stock.

MeanGreenBoss said:
Very nice design! I'd like to hear those! Are you planning to make sets available to your fellow Boss owners?

Thanks, I will be in Vegas next week so we will see how they do on the drive. As for fabricating more sets, if there is enough demand I will build them.

fbbob96 said:
Looks good in your pics. Like the way it dumps out,being visible now. If performance is at least the same, I would be interested in getting a pair.

Thanks, the stock set uses 2" tube squashed to 1" high which ends up reducing the area by 1/2. The tube I used started out as 2 1/2 round that was ovaled to 1 1/4 tall.

I would also be interested in a set providing you find that they work well. I already have QTP cutouts installed. Do they eliminate the 'jake brake' sound on decel? That's about the only thing I'm not really happy with about the car.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I would give you a A+ on this project. I also would be interested in a set! Any idea what the cost might be?
And yes a video clip with the sound would be awesome. A video will most likely get a lot of people interested in a set.

TMO Supporting Vendors