The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Custom tune on the 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Has anyone had any experience with a custom tune on the 302 engine ? I was thinking that I'd like to play with the following with a tune for 93 octane (kills me that the Trackey tune is for 91 ;D):

• FORD RACING BOSS 302 INTAKE MANIFOLD -- M-9424-M50BR
  • 2011-2012 5.0L COYOTE 90MM THROTTLE BODY -- M-9926-M5090
  • AIRAID Parnelli Jones Edition Carbon Fiber Intake Intake Part # 450-174 (Oiled)

Anyone have any idea of the hp/torque gains that could eb realized by such a setup?

I was wondering since the Trackey is a two step process. First process activating the Red Trackey. Second process installing the Trackey program itself. If like myself the dealership I took my Boss to. Could only get as far as the first process of the install done. Which is just activating the the Red Trackey and could not install the Trackey program itself. "Yes my Red Trackey when used makes the Trackey Active Show on the Dash but, the car is still using the regular Boss program with both keys" I was wondering if a custom tune could be installed under the Red Trackey and work with the custom tune? Any thoughts????

I am interested in getting a tune also, but I'm a little worried about someone messing up the TK parameters. I'm don't plan on any mods except for the tune.

I would like to see some dyno runs/graphs with the TK and TK with tune as a comparison.

If you find someone please share the info.

fhawk149 said:
I was wondering since the Trackey is a two step process. First process activating the Red Trackey. Second process installing the Trackey program itself. If like myself the dealership I took my Boss to. Could only get as far as the first process of the install done. Which is just activating the the Red Trackey and could not install the Trackey program itself. "Yes my Red Trackey when used makes the Trackey Enable Show on the Dash but, the car is still using the regular Boss program with both keys" I was wondering if a custom tune could be installed under the Red Trackey and work with the custom tune? Any thoughts????
Your post is confusing. If your dash shows TracKey Enabled your tune should be loaded. The Red and Black keys should have always worked. I do not think a custom tune can be installed under the red key but then again if they cracked the Blu-Ray DVD code in less than a week I'm sure someone will crack Ford's TK code. ;D

Pete, the intake you posted is the same as on our cars. Those Airaid intakes are really cool looking. ;) BTW the TK tune is supposed to adjust for higher octane up to 100.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Rick - Are you sure that it's the same intake? The website says:

• Original Equipment on 2012 BOSS 302R AND 302S Race Cars
  • Fits 2011-2012 BOSS 302 and Mustang GT 5.0L engine
  • Made from light-weight composite material
  • Short runners for optimum flow at high rpms
  • Requires separate custom calibration due to added air flow. Ford Racing's Pro-Cal tunes DO NOT support this part. An aftermarket tuner and custom calibration will need to be sourced.
  • Includes unique Ford Racing intake badging (not shown)

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_BOSS_302_INTAKE_MANIFOLD_p/m-9424-m50br.htm

As far as the tune, are you saying that the timing advances as higher octane fuel is used up to 100 octane? If so I'd LOVE to see a dyno of a TK install with 91 vs. 93 vs. 100.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Rick - You are fully correct, the offical Ford website states it's the same intake. The dealer site I was looking at (www.fordracingpartsdirect.com) has the wrong info. I spoke to Ford Racing just now and they confirmed. Also got scolded for not using the official website ! ;D

Ford Racing also confirmed tha the 90mm throttle body is a bolt on and can use the stock CAI. But you do need a customer tune.

BBK has a 79mm TB which requires not tune needed. With that and their BBK CAI they state a gain of 15-19HP. They have a YouTube video out on it.

95blitz said:
SUPRMN said:
BBK has a 79mm TB which requires not tune needed. With that and their BBK CAI they state a gain of 15-19HP. They have a YouTube video out on it.

Isn't the stock TB 80mm?

My apologizes.....it's an 85MM TB

Here is the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xMO3AWQwk

5 DOT 0 said:
Your post is confusing. If your dash shows TracKey Enabled your tune should be loaded.

Rick the Trackey program is a two step process, first program the key then load the program into the car's computer. So the dash will show what he said even if the program is not loaded into the car. The Trackey Enabled Message is just recognizing that the TK programmed key was installed into the ignition.

5 DOT 0 said:
The Red and Black keys should have always worked.

That is PATS programming, not trackey.

PeteInCT said:
I'd do it now if it didn't require the tune....

Pete, did you do the CAI/85mm BBK throttle body?
If so I'm interested to know how it is working out with TK.
Lee.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Lee - No, I stuck with the stock one and recently added the Airaid CAI. The more I thought about it the more I thought it's better not to mess with Mother Nature, at least for a while... ;D I've been focusing on other things to help lap times other than core HP mods. I just added the MGW shifter and am crazy about it - great mod.

Now I just need a mod to get a real driver in my car and I'll be all set :eek:

Still on track for 3/31 ? Weather is warming up nice this week !

FYI, Justin Starkey from VMP Tuning in Deland Florida just bought a 12 Boss a couple weeks ago. He has sucessfully written tunes for many GT 500's including the one I had. Some of you probably know him. Any way he will come up with something for the Boss so I am waiting to see what he does. If you don't know Justin or have not dealt with him I can tell you he is a great guy to deal with.

He also tuned my 2011 V6 supercharged car. His tunes were safe, conservative and productive and drivability was never an issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors