The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Customizing a Cobra Jet intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about ways to try and customize the Cobra Jet Intake manifold and one thing I keep coming up with is trying to make it more like the Boss 302 Intake Manifold. I picked this up and was thinking about having my car information printed on it and putting it on the Cobra Jet.

20150120_175828_zpsc84997be.jpg

That being said, does anyone have any ways of trying to get the Boss 302 raised letters and lines onto the Cobra Jet intake? I was talking to someone about trying to use a 3D printer to make somewhat of a shell that would slip on top of the Cobra Jet but that would end up costing a lot of money. So I have been trying to think of another way to do this? Anyone have any suggestions?

I might try and see if someone can 3D print the lines and the Boss 302 lettering and the plaque holder thing and then measuring everything out and using some 2 ton epoxy to attach them to the intake but I don't know how much that would cost. Can anyone think of anything else?

I asked our very own Pete (Track Day Solutions) to design a graphic about 6 months ago. Pete came up with a couple of proofs. I think it turned out well. Acquired an intake and just finished last week.

Boss302CJIntakePete_zpsbadc7a5e.jpg

Tulsa, OK
davsta said:
I asked our very own Pete (Track Day Solutions) to build a graphic about 6 months ago. Pete came up with a couple of proofs. I think it turned out well. Acquired an intake and just finished last week.

That looks AWESOME! So I guess you had the intake smoothed prior to the decal?

Actually did a little grinding to remove the raised portions (Logo etc). The composite plastic is tough. Sanded and primed for final finish. Once the decal was applied added clear coat.

Tulsa, OK
davsta said:
Actually did a little grinding to remove the raised portions (Logo etc). The composite plastic is tough. Sanded and primed for final finish. Once the decal was applied added clear coat.

Nice. Finished product turned out great.

This looks spectacular.

Boss302CJIntakePete_zpsbadc7a5e.jpg

Pete should make a similar sticker for the fuse box.

Not bad for my first time doing this .... although I am going to have to do it all over again with a lot more of this stuff and really try and get it in the spaces all nice and nice like that little area between Boss and 302. Then it is onto trying to make the little stripe things and having them run the length of the Cobra Jet intake manifold.

20150214_172109_zpsd673c383.jpg

I forget the name of the site but I put Boss 302 intake plaque into google search and click images and you should see a picture of one.

Now I have been trying to think of how to get everything so it's printed the same. Maybe with a picture and some photoshop skills someone can print everything on there since it doesn't appear to be engraved into the plaque.

I've seen that plate cheaper on Ebay. FYI...

Sean - There is a company called Smooth-On. They sell all kinds of mold making material. Easy to use. I was thinking the same thing. Take the BOSS302 logo off the intake and make it to fit on the COBRA intake. Making a mold of it is the easiest way to do it. I use this stuff all the time to repair or fix parts tools. Even prototyping trim parts. Though I must say I'm digging the paint job on that Cobra intake.

I went and made a first draft of this. It's going to take a little bit of practice to getting it all nice and nice but for the first tiime out I don't think it turned out too shabby. A little bit of bondo, and sanding a couple of things or some time with an xacto knife and it should be decent looking.

20150221_180218_zps0dc54133.jpg

GMAN211 said:
I've seen that plate cheaper on Ebay. FYI...

Sean - There is a company called Smooth-On. They sell all kinds of mold making material. Easy to use. I was thinking the same thing. Take the BOSS302 logo off the intake and make it to fit on the COBRA intake. Making a mold of it is the easiest way to do it. I use this stuff all the time to repair or fix parts tools. Even prototyping trim parts. Though I must say I'm digging the paint job on that Cobra intake.

I was just looking at that site and I might grab a few things from there. My mold isn't 100% but it will get the job done for now but I am probably going to be making a faceplate almost so it would be cool to grab some things things from there. Thanks for the tip!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel