The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 CYCLN3.7 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, when you told me you were going to do a Build Thread right away you weren't kidding ha!! Looks like you have a good start and some nice mods. It appears your next move will be to get a set of sticky, matching rubber and just click on the link on this site to get to TireRack -- great prices on tires and it helps the Forum out a little bit.

Noticed you have a Texas plate , but show your location to be in Oklahoma. If you are in Oklahoma the town you are in is just South of Hallett , which is a very well known and loved track in the Midwest!! Look forward to more posts and there are plenty of V6 folks on the site that will be willing to help.

Wow, when you told me you were going to do a Build Thread right away you weren't kidding ha!! Looks like you have a good start and some nice mods. It appears your next move will be to get a set of sticky, matching rubber and just click on the link on this site to get to TireRack -- great prices on tires and it helps the Forum out a little bit.

Noticed you have a Texas plate , but show your location to be in Oklahoma. If you are in Oklahoma the town you are in is just South of Hallett , which is a very well known and loved track in the Midwest!! Look forward to more posts and there are plenty of V6 folks on the site that will be willing to help.
Haha! Well I figured if I was going to do it might as well start right now. I’m on the hunt for some new wheels and tires right now. I’ve got some leads, but nothing solid just yet. Still need a dual purpose tire as I still drive my car. Looking to sell current set up also.

I do live in Oklahoma. Just moved up here a couple of years ago. But still haven’t transferred over to Oklahoma tag...shame on me....Anyways, I’ll be updating with more recent pictures when I’ve got a little more time and I’ll start from the beginning when I first got the car, maybe before then, when I had my 1966 Mustang. Looking forward to everyone I’ll be meeting!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check on here as there have been some guys selling tires/rims of late. I would just make sure you get a square set for the ability to rotate --key for both autocrossing and track events.

PART 1

Alright guys, so I am going to try and chronicle the build of my car, CYCLN3.7. If you're wondering where I got the name, Cyclone was the original code name for the 3.7 V6 platform, just like Coyote was for the 5.0. Figured I'd put my spin on it with the "3.7" at the end;).

Just a little background on how I got the car and where it is at today.

I grew up tinkering on cars and always dreamed of having a mustang (my dream car). Specifically a 1966 Mustang, which glad to say....I was able to accomplish that through a fixer upper with my grandpa my freshman year of high school. The year was 2012. Wow...sounds like a long time ago now.

IMG_0155.JPG

It was an Inline 6 with the "Cruise-O-Matic" transmission. It was a beloved car and I tinkered all I wanted to for the next 2 years. We got it running and drivable but the rusted roof and rear pillars were getting to be too much for me to know how to do on my own. By this time the year was 2015 and I was a junior in high school and as an early, very early, senior graduation gift, in comes the 2013 GHIG V6 Performance Pack. Oh, and it wasn't too long afterwards that I traded my 1966 mustang for a fully optioned Volkswagen Touareg. Still think the trade was worth it and someday I plan to have another classic 'stang. Maybe a '66 Fastback??

IMG_0254.jpg

I was fortunate enough that whoever had it before me, had made it look as good as it does now. (Still don't like the "Super Snake" on the stripe, but not willing to give up the look the stripe gave it😂) It was all stock with the exception of the 20x9 Shelby CS21 wheels that I'm still rocking today. It was the base model but had the factory optioned Recaro Racing Seats. Which I absolutely love, best seats I've ever sat in, in a vehicle.

If some don't know, the Performance pack for the V6 mustang came with

GT Shocks & Struts
GT Springs
GT Sway Bars
Strut Tower Mount
3.31 Differential Gears

And, if you were lucky enough to get it with the 6-speed automatic, it came with the GT's 13.2 front rotors while the 6-speed manual came with the measly 11 inch rotors...Still wish mine was a manual, but that may be another upgrade for another time.

IMG_0257 2.jpg

For the next year or so the car stays relatively stock, save for the aftermarket door window because of a mishap with a lawn mower and rock....And a dent on the door I got 2 weeks after getting it....Lets just say, I'm still trying to find out who did that one..
IMG_0823.jpg

The car was a joy to drive and probably did some things I wasn't supposed to with it ;) But that's what your'e suppose to do, right? ..... So for quite a while I enjoyed the car just as it was. It had plenty of power and was the coolest car on the block as people would say.
IMG_0350 2.jpgIMG_0329.jpg

Then the mod bug hit me....

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Mod bug.............now there is a Virus that has no cure , but it is a very livable and even enjoyable disease. Welcome to the land of track sickos!

PART 2

And here is the second installment of on how I got my car to where it is today.

So, like I said, the mod bug hit me, and well, you can't be a mustang guy without wanting louder exhaust. After weeks and weeks of youtube videos trying to figure out what I wanted, I ran across a 3.7 at a used car dealership that had the Roush Axle-Backs...One fire up and I was sold, had that exhaust ordered as soon as I could.

D5FEEE1E-C280-4A89-A4F9-15B241A79B47.jpg

So at this point, this was the most I had ever done to a car, well, besides the small stuff with the '66...but I almost wouldn't count that. I tore apart more than I put back together. So like any other normal human being just getting into cars, for my second mod I ordered a set of Ford Performance 3.73 racing gears. Then came the longgg and grueling adventure that took 2 weeks to install them...🤦‍♂️

9F14E63F-BFA5-4488-A3F5-889AC84AD9B7.jpg

After getting them in, I looked everywhere locally that did anything with transmissions to see if they would do the gear swap for me. They either ran away like they had seen a ghost or wanted me to pay with an arm and a leg. So with that, I figured, what the heck? I've watched enough youtube videos to figure it out on my own. And so I did...First I got every tool I didn't have that I needed, like a torque wrench that went to just a few inch pounds and a dial indicator to set the backlash. Did I mention they were parts from Harbor Freight? Some of the most jerry rigged stuff I have ever done. Wish I had pictures to show of what I mean, but after purchasing what I needed, me and two of my car buddies hogged up a garage bay at one of our shops and went to work.

IMG_1994.jpg

I was lucky enough that one of my friends had a little more knowledge on disassembly because if you don't count the exhaust, this is my first real mod to the car😅. Everything for the most part went pretty smoothly. Came home from school worked on it into the night, well morning of the next day if you include that into "night". Haha! Then came the pinion crush sleeves....

I got the first crush sleeve so tight, you coudn't spin a dang thing. Then logic of course tell us, oh lets use the original, that didn't work either (who knew right?)

So, I ordered another, and this time I took my time, I did 1/8 turns for about 30 minutes it felt like, and after every turn, I checked it with the torque wrench. And I FINALLY GOT IT!! ....then I had to go screw it up... I figured, "What's one more turn..." As it turns out, one more turn is a FREAKIN LOT!

I ordered two more crush sleeves and somehow managed to screw up the 3rd one or 4th one? I can't keep count, and so finally after a grueling 2 weeks I got the last crush sleeve in the most perfect spot and I stopped! FINISHED. I was never more happy in my life than that moment.

And of course, in between we did stuff like this...

IMG_2018.jpg

After going a few months with these gears and everything working flawlessly I convinced myself that I needed a custom 93 Race Tune to fix the speedometer as my car had never got the speedo corrected. Funny how logic works huh?

$400 dollars later I became sponsored by Bama Performance...well I wanted to think so anyways..man I cringe looking at these photos

FullSizeRender 3.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpg

And this brings it exactly to where it sits today, save for skipping several years and moving to Oklahoma from Texas, where I backed into a truck on the night before my wedding...yeah, wasn't pretty.

I haven't driven it much since I've moved and with some help of a Coyote (the animal). I have a resurgence to do some upgrades to my car that I never got to do.IMG_3835.jpg
IMG_3834.jpg
IMG_3833.jpg

It busted up both my A/C Condenser and Radiator. Of course the bumper is no good and have no more lower valence, so will be replacing all of these parts pretty soon! You'll just have to see wait to see what I get front fascia wise. As will I, because I'm still figuring that out.

Also, looking at some new wheels as I've been wanting to get rid of these since I found out they weigh 60+ pounds at each corner...and it's a V6. I already need as much power as I can get and these wheels aren't helping any.

TO BE CONTINUED....

What are some recommendations for some first time beginner mods to prepare for a road course? I have never been to an HPDE Event. I have spoken to a couple veterans here on the forums already, just curious to see what others will say. Also, any advice on running with an automatic transmission? I know most have manuals out there, not too many autos from what I've seen.

Always great to see another V6 member on the site. Very jealous of your factory Recaros on your performance pack car!

Although my V6 PP only sees autocross use, I would think some of the same issues would pop up on a road course: sticky tires (there are many threads documenting what tires people favor on here), higher temperature track brake pads and high temp fluid (maybe even some ducting), and a nice alignment would be a great start. Before throwing any real money at the car, definitely consider investing in yourself with a driving school and seat time.

No advice on running an automatic trans on the track, maybe a cooler? I think the Duane Black hertz special is a V6 auto on here with plenty of track cred, I'd seriously consider reaching out to him for some setup info.

Looking forward to seeing your progress,
J

Always great to see another V6 member on the site. Very jealous of your factory Recaros on your performance pack car!

Although my V6 PP only sees autocross use, I would think some of the same issues would pop up on a road course: sticky tires (there are many threads documenting what tires people favor on here), higher temperature track brake pads and high temp fluid (maybe even some ducting), and a nice alignment would be a great start. Before throwing any real money at the car, definitely consider investing in yourself with a driving school and seat time.

No advice on running an automatic trans on the track, maybe a cooler? I think the Duane Black hertz special is a V6 auto on here with plenty of track cred, I'd seriously consider reaching out to him for some setup info.

Looking forward to seeing your progress,
J

Thanks! Glad to be here! I think the seats were what sold it for me when I saw this car. I fangirled over them you could say. Ha!

On the comment of track brake pads, is something like a Hawk HPS be good for a beginner as myself or would it be better to get a track oriented brake pad? Also, I was told by SCMSCOUT to use Motul 600. Something I didn’t think of asking is if this can be ran on the street or track use only?

I have seen The Duane Black Hertz Special in some forum post, will definitely Get with him, thanks.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thanks! Glad to be here! I think the seats were what sold it for me when I saw this car. I fangirled over them you could say. Ha!

On the comment of track brake pads, is something like a Hawk HPS be good for a beginner as myself or would it be better to get a track oriented brake pad? Also, I was told by SCMSCOUT to use Motul 600. Something I didn’t think of asking is if this can be ran on the street or track use only?

I have seen The Duane Black Hertz Special in some forum post, will definitely Get with him, thanks.

HPS isn't a track pad and it's probably not going to last well. If you're going to run the car on the street and track consider running DTC50s up front. As long as the weather is mild they are fine but they will eat your rotors in cold weather. Use DTC30s for the rear. I run that combination and up until this year was driving the car to the track with that setup without issues. Motul RBF600 is fine on the street as well.

PART 3

Well...nearly two years ago from my last post. A lot has happened since then including starting a business, buying our personal home, and a baby on the way. Still haven't taken the car out to a track day and with a baby coming this year, I don't think this year will be it either. But that's alright, I'm excited about some of things I've done and plan to do to CYCLN3.7

Lets start from where I left off last..

So the car was out of commission for a few weeks as I decided what upgrades I could do at the same time to get it fixed...you know what I mean. We've all done this..you need a new lower grill but why go with the original V6 grille when you can get the 5.0 grille?

First thing was first, get the new replacement bumper
IMG_3925 (2).JPG

Got this thing folded like a pretzel, I couldn't believe it. But, several hours out in the sun did the trick and it was as straight as an OEM unit.
IMG_4006.JPG

First test fit of the bumper. You can peek the new radiator and A/C condenser.
IMG_3934.JPG

Test fit went well, so sent the bumper and the gloss black mirror covers to be painted in matching green. Might as well paint something else while you're at it huh?

But, before I could do that, I needed to put all new fresh coolant through this radiator, and get the A/C recharged since I lost every bit of it.
IMG_3972.JPG

Afterwards, while those parts were being painted, came the long ensuing research to install the Boss 302 Chin Splitter. Originally I wanted to do the Roush Front Chin Splitter...then I found out you needed the original splitter. Hard to do that when it was taken out from the wreck.

I knew I could buy the Boss 302 Chin Splitter Kit from American Muscle but at $745, I knew there was a better way. Ford doesn't make it easy finding the individual parts you need to do this, but after a little bit of work, I was able to find the splitter, lower air deflector, and the bolts for way less than $745. I think I saved myself over $200. Not bad if I say so myself and even better if you consider that I was sent two chin splitters for the price of one. I tried to get in contact with the company to get that part sent back...I'm guessing they didn't want it.

In the mean time, as I waited for the bumper to be painted and the other goodies to come in, I was on the lookout for some lighter and wider wheels. I looked everywhere from the classifieds here on TMO, to Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. After much research, and feeling like I was going to be the next rising race car driver *cringe* I knew I wanted some 18"x10" at least. If I could get a set of 11" wide, even better. Consistently, people advocated for the SVE 18x10 Drift Wheel saying that it was cheap but great for track duty. Only problem was that it was discontinued WAY before I even got interested in to road racing. Bummer...

TO BE CONTINUED...

PART 4

Keep in mind that in my search I had a ton of people reach out to me with wheel set ups of there’s they were selling but every one of them was considerably outside my budget at the time

After diligently looking and looking, I finally came across a set from Dallas, TX. What were these you ask? SVE 18x10 Drifts. I know right, I was excited too. I can’t even remember the price I payed for these but I vaguely remember them being in the ball park of $400 or less. What a steal!

C2AEFD22-436E-4B3A-A05D-504A85843FB2.jpeg
While they were scuffed in a few spots, they were in decent condition and talk about the weight saving compared to my 60 pound per wheel Shelby’s I had. I would still need to replace the tires as these were, used quite a bit I should say…
D06BAB99-B34A-4A65-A882-4F762D85D7AB.png
But, now I had wheels I could put on the car and finally sell the old ones. th these in the back of the truck and astressful day of trying to meet the guy I bought them off of, I headed back home to finish the putting together the painted bumper that was waiting for me.

F9BCDEFE-A6AF-40F4-A21D-948D73D0C881.jpeg

15021316-F314-4790-8571-1788A3102F27.jpeg

With the new bumper installed, we were off to the races. Grilles, wheels, chin splitters were all installed and I was one step closer to have this car road worthy again.

First the wheels, which by anyone’s standards, looked like I put a lift kit on my car to go off-roading instead of a “racy” set of wheels meant to tear up the track.
59C11329-108A-484F-878A-8514C9272CEB.jpeg

Of course, I took the time for other upgrades at this point which included the GT lower grille and the Boss 302 Chin Splitter I mentioned previously. And boy did they turn out great.

D47D39BC-DEC6-4649-AE92-7C0BC57250DD.jpeg
And with that I’ll leave my next post to show off the new tires I had installed and some pictures of how the car sits at the moment. Because, who doesn’t like looking at mustangs?

Very correct statement because on this site, " Everyone like looking at Mustangs!!! " Nice job and the Mean Green Machines has folks in Oklahoma green with envy!
Thank you Bill. I appreciate it. 3 years after joining TMO I will finally be participating in my first Track Day this year at Hallett Raceway. Weekend of my birthday actually. I’ve got some things to work on first, leading up to that day, as this car has seen better days. I at least need to get within OEM spec so that I’m not a hazard out on track with worn out parts.

*Edit (That is of course if life doesn’t decide to throw any curveballs from now till July this year) Ha!

PART 5

I was very budget minded in my pursuit of tires. I had a set of Michelin Super Sports on my 20” wheels and knew I would love to get a set of those but budget constraints really kept a me from getting a “name brand” summer tire.

That’s when I found on TMO somewhere of someone using Federal Evoluzion ST-1’s. Maybe wasn’t on TMO but they described a decent tire for a beginner to HPDE and well…that $150 price tag suckered me in as they were going to do what I needed them to. Drive me 3 miles to work and back with occasional 120 mile round trips.
48402C9D-2245-48E8-AFB5-5BFADA8095B2.jpeg
E711CBF6-9E44-44A1-B3F9-0ECF59B6928E.jpeg
Here’s some pics of them installed. 285/35 on all four corners.
39D2AE07-DACC-4862-8324-5C320E526B10.jpegC7C5D573-AA8E-4556-8747-2BC0DDAB70BE.jpeg

Very minimal clearance being as these wheels are +43 offset.6284E487-99F2-4ABB-A4F0-2F80A38D27F7.jpeg777015CB-20E5-43FF-B033-8389E54B723E.jpeg

Picture Dump

Here’s how she sits now. Those of you with keen eyes will notice the tires don’t match those in the last post. That’s because, other than the few picture of the tires, these are actually the last pictures I took of my car. No others on my camera roll afterwards. Sad, I know.

But here you go. In all her glory

36336888-BB66-4BFF-9B88-B5EBE004FC8D.jpeg524DD652-52E0-46A2-9C19-99E47D5B1CF2.jpegAFE15459-C3DF-41F3-B310-29FFBD677E9F.jpegB8691595-CEE3-41ED-B9BD-642AEEF88689.jpeg2D3D68FB-F048-41B9-BFF6-6F38894B6DB0.jpegFCFAFFFB-5E00-4B9B-A69B-34DEAE88B015.jpegAF636FB7-CE1F-4073-B1F1-A95E152B8CDF.jpeg

And to end it, a picture of the best car at my wedding. Before the upgrades.

030855A0-DEE2-49F1-A692-CFB948DC206B.jpeg

I wondered how this was going, with regards to that 3 year old post about the diff and the crush sleeves, I've been there myself. If you crush it too far, you can put a pinion shim behind it and get a bit more crush out of it. Diffs seem to be looked at as some "magic" art form but it really is just attention to detail. Those gears will really wake up that V6. This si the same combination we use in the WRL series.

I wondered how this was going, with regards to that 3 year old post about the diff and the crush sleeves, I've been there myself. If you crush it too far, you can put a pinion shim behind it and get a bit more crush out of it. Diffs seem to be looked at as some "magic" art form but it really is just attention to detail. Those gears will really wake up that V6. This si the same combination we use in the WRL series.
That’s the same feeling I got when going to any of my local shops on doing this gear upgrade. I only had a college budget at the time so I knew I was going to need to figure it out on my own if I was going to save some cash. I’ll admit, some of the tools I used were Harbor Freight specials. Haha! Good to know I’m following in the footsteps of knowledgeable footsteps with the gear ratio I chose.

I’m going to be more consistent in updates I’m doing. Each year I’ve started I’ve been pulled away with other life items but I realized this year, the only way I’m going to have a track day is if I put it down on my calendar. And that’s what I’ve done now. So looking forward to it!

You would really appreciate this , and the link.

Thread 'Gear installation' https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gear-installation.18062/
Oh yes, reading through this brought back all the memories of having no clue what I was doing. Ha! Nice jig you made. I’ve tried remembering what all tools were needed but I just don’t recall everything I used. I do know I was ecstatic when I found out I’d done everything just right on the first try to avoid the dreaded gear wine. Well, that’s if you include the 3 three crush sleeves I went through in the first try.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel