The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DA Polisher and Stripes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
This question is basically for Justin but thought maybe others could benefit from the answer. I've seen pictures of you prepping your car's stripes using painters tape, my question is do you polish just up to the tape or is it safe to go over just a little? Thanks!

You have a '13 so it's up to you. If you polish over the stripes it will turn them slightly darker black and make them a little shinier. I like the look so I did it. If you tape them off make sure to tape them all the way off. The acid in the tape will pull some color out of the stripes and you'll be left with a more dull spot where the tape was. You can then polish it out if you need to.

Good thing is our stripes don't swirl like the '12's

I don't think you want to polish the stripes. Applying wax is another story. On the 2012's wax is not a problem. I taped my stripes off from polishing and then removed the tape before I applied the final wax.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I think my question was asked poorly my bad.... I don't want to polish the stripes I am concerned about using a polisher and bumping up against them taped off will it harm them?

ForceofWill said:
You have a '13 so it's up to you. If you polish over the stripes it will turn them slightly darker black and make them a little shinier. I like the look so I did it. If you tape them off make sure to tape them all the way off. The acid in the tape will pull some color out of the stripes and you'll be left with a more dull spot where the tape was. You can then polish it out if you need to.

Good thing is our stripes don't swirl like the '12's

so, will using blue or green 3m masking tape on the '13 stripes somehow damage them?
if so, that sucks, because that is what i was trying to use while detailing.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I do go over it just a little.

Well this weekend I am going to take my DA to the vinyl decals on my Boss.

I have seen Forceofwill's vinyl since he polished them. they look great better then when he picked the car up.

TMO Supporting Vendors