The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Daehimeh's BOSS 302 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Pretty sure the ARH headers & X-pipe use the factory Boss side pipes. I think Kooks used to sell replacement side pipes that were more open/loud. @Daehimeh, you've taken the restrictor plates out of the factory side pipes, right? They sound quite nice opened up.

If you really want the Kooks side pipes, give Kooks a call. They may still have the jigs to make a set. Will probably cost you more like a custom job than production run pricing, but they may give you a quote. "Here, take my money" is a good argument in a lot of cases.

Nice collection in your pic - what year is the Miata?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have owned a ton of Miatas over the years , fun little bumblebee gnats to harass bigger HP cars in turns or on smaller tracks! Great color , though I may be biased, and I also agree with Beermoney --- really consider some 18x11s. Click on the Apex Link in the Sponsor section and send a note to the Apex TMO Representative ( Cory ) discussing your long term goals. If you Autocross also , you might as well go with 11s, since even 10s would through you out of a stock Street Class. Welcome to TMO!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pasadena, CA
My main reason for going 10's and sticking with 285's is the fact that most of the cars time is on the street getting me to and from work.

The Miata is a buddy's '93. Every time I go on a drive with him I miss my '99 Miata.

I am actually coming out of a BRZ and into the Boss. I loved the car, but I bought it after shopping Mustangs and always regretted not going for the V8 option. Decided to make the upgrade and the Boss narrowly beat out an S550 PP as my weapon of choice.

I've got my first track day planned for early September, my second for the following weekend, and my first autocross will be in October. I'll start considering mods after that, once I have an idea what I like/want to change.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pasadena, CA
PXL_20210716_210542359.jpgPXL_20210716_213544851.jpg
Had a chance to do a few mods I've been sitting on over the last week. I've wanted a more aggressive rear end dice day 1, so i upgraded the tail lights. A more aggressive spoiler is next, but I'm having trouble deciding what I want.

I also wanted to modernize the stereo sightly. In the Mustang that requires a whole dash upgrade so that's what I did. The stereo is a full Android device with 4g so it doesn't require my phone at all, it also runs apps so I can use Torque for gauges since the Boss didn't come with any. Unfortunately oil temp and oil pressure aren't available over OBD so I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get that information visible.PXL_20210716_225039534.jpg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Really like the taillight change, I've never been a fan of the 13-14 tailights - just didn't feel like they had enough of the traditional 3-bar Mustang look. Too square/circle looking to me. Are those the Raxiom Vector V2?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pasadena, CA
Really like the taillight change, I've never been a fan of the 13-14 tailights - just didn't feel like they had enough of the traditional 3-bar Mustang look. Too square/circle looking to me. Are those the Raxiom Vector V2?
I feel exactly the same way about the 13/14 lights! These are indeed the Raxiom Vector V2. I'm very happy with them so far.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I like all the tasteful cosmetic touches you have done and I appreciate you posted them. Folks sometimes feel only the mechanical parts or accessories should be shown or listed and frankly a build thread should include both. Many of the track or autocross cars have had things installed because they make the car look better and often may help with some function. Firm believer that a clean, tracked car can be a little bit of the intimidation factor to your competitors. Congrats on the steps so far and we look forward to future changes with tires, rims and more.

TMO Supporting Vendors