The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Damn Gauge Cluster!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had my BOSS for 3 weeks now and LOVE it! My only gripe is no oil pressure gauge or volt meter. Was that an option on the regular BOSS 302 and I just missed it? Other wise I'm gonna fork out the $1300.00 for Ford racing one. :'(

GA
Superlead76 said:
I've had my BOSS for 3 weeks now and LOVE it! My only gripe is no oil pressure gauge or volt meter. Was that an option on the regular BOSS 302 and I just missed it? Other wise I'm gonna fork out the $1300.00 for Ford racing one. :'(

I hope FORD is taking notes and will change a few thing in MY2013. It wouldn't be hard to give it a GT premium 6-gauge cluster instead of base.

Check member cloud9 for a good option on adding a gauge for a reasonable price.

PJWANNABE said:
Superlead76 said:

I hope FORD is taking notes and will change a few thing in MY2013. It wouldn't be hard to give it a GT premium 6-gauge cluster instead of base.

The premium gauge cluster is no better than idiot lights. The gauges are connected to switches, not senders.

I suspect part of the reason why the pack is so expensive is because it needs its own wiring harness to the engine, and a new oil pressure sender (at least). I could do without the middle gauge myself though.

PTRocks said:
I suspect part of the reason why the pack is so expensive is because it needs its own wiring harness to the engine, and a new oil pressure sender (at least). I could do without the middle gauge myself though.
Do we know for certain that the harness and oil sender are included in the package? Does it include everything needed for full implementation?

5 DOT 0 said:
PTRocks said:
Do we know for certain that the harness and oil sender are included in the package? Does it include everything needed for full implementation?

FRPP often if not always provides the complete package. If they don't, they will tell you what you need.

The more things change the more they stay the same. The original Boss 302 had no oil pressure, or amp gauge if you got a tach. Just idiot lights.

Damn gauge cluster is right. I don't like anything about it. First of all, it looks like a tacky add-on...because it is. Second, the Ford Racing gauges have the old-school font that matches the other Mustangs nicely. But, the Boss gauges get a new font, so they don't match. Third, performance meter. ::) Fourth, the price ($1400) is eye-watering.

There are aftermarket kits that rearrange the center console controls to make room for aftermarket stereos and whatnot. After I get the car, I'm going to research trying to use one of those kits to allow installation of gauges in the top of the center console (not on the top). If that doesn't work, then I will go to Plan B, which is using the Pep Boys FRPP gauge pod and a better choice of gauges.

The Ford Racing gauges are Auto Meter, but as I mentioned, I don't like the font, nor do I need a big blue oval on all of them. Personally, I think these would look nice:

8856_d.jpg

Whatever. They have a million choices to suit your taste. And they are less expensive than the licensed Ford Racing gauges.

Speaking of that, if you want the Ford Racing gauges, but want to save some money, order the FRPP Gauge Pod ($120): http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12411 and then just get the licensed gauges from egauges here: http://egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=ATM_Ford. Heck, the FRPP site links to AutoMeter, which then links to egauges. Funny.

Example of costs:

Water Temp Gauge:
Ford Racing (FRPP): $226
Ford Racing (egauges): $158
UltraLite Pro (egauges): $149
Sport Comp (egauges): $46

Can't wait to take a drill to my new dash. :mad:

Jimmy

I wouldn't mind putting up an A-piller 2 or 3 gauge cluster instead of the dash mount. Had a 2 gauge cluster in my Cobra and liked it. I was thinking Water Temp and Oil Temp.

I need to correct something I said before. I was looking at photos of the center console (working-out my Plan A), when I noticed that the LS aux. gauges DO match the new font in the Boss main gauges. So, if you order the super expensive, fully-loaded aux. gauge pod from Ford, you will get matching gauges, but if you order the gauges separately, per my suggestion, you will likeley get gauges with the old, retro font (super skinny), found on the GT gauges. At least that is the font that is shown on the individual Ford Racing gauges from both Ford and egauges. Now, maybe you could specify which ones you wanted, but I'm not sure.

Most folks probably don't care, but I like the collar to match the cuffs. ;)

Jimmy

Jimmy Pribble said:
I need to correct something I said before. I was looking at photos of the center console (working-out my Plan A), when I noticed that the LS aux. gauges DO match the new font in the Boss main gauges. So, if you order the super expensive, fully-loaded aux. gauge pod from Ford, you will get matching gauges, but if you order the gauges separately, per my suggestion, you will likeley get gauges with the old, retro font (super skinny), found on the GT gauges. At least that is the font that is shown on the individual Ford Racing gauges from both Ford and egauges. Now, maybe you could specify which ones you wanted, but I'm not sure.

Most folks probably don't care, but I like the collar to match the cuffs. ;)

Jimmy

Agreed! I would want it to match!

TMO Supporting Vendors