The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Dark Horse track use options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Francisco
According to my cousin, ordering opens up on Monday for the Dark Horse.

I would track it ~3 events/year and drive it occasional on the street so no S or R.

Do people think the 10-speed could handle regular track use in terms of cooling?

The carbon wheels are slick but I'm worried about curb rash/repair. They a viable track option?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
The carbon wheels are slick but I'm worried about curb rash/repair. They a viable track option?

I would think it would be similar to those who have tracked their 350R or CFTP 500s. Haven’t seen any issues. I think it’s up to the owner if they are willing to put the wheels up for that much abuse.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I ran the carbon wheel on my 350r on track. They work well. The downside is cost to repair if need be. I lost a tire to a screw on track and had to buy a Cup2 With 1000 miles on it. The wheel was OK. Had I trashed the wheel also, the repair could have been thousands. That convinced me a quality aluminum wheel was best for me.
Can you run the carbon wheel, sure. Is it worth the potential cost to replace? Not for me.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria

I would track it ~3 events/year and drive it occasional on the street so no S or R.

Do people think the 10-speed could handle regular track use in terms of cooling?

The 10 speed in the DH have additional cooling from the factory if you are not an 10/10 driver it should be fine.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Nah, carbon wheels aren’t a gimmick.

They are expensive and notch sensitive so not the best material for a cost sensitive track rat. We’ll see more and more though.
GT500 carbon fiber wheels weight 17 lbs -
Forgeline GSR1-G2 weight 20 lbs we are talking 3 lbs difference and guess which ones will last more laps.

GT500 carbon fiber wheels weight 17 lbs -
Forgeline GSR1-G2 weight 20 lbs we are talking 3 lbs difference and guess which ones will last more laps

I can’t say I really know which will last longer but I still don’t see them as a gimmick even given your numbers. Just a new material to automotive folks are getting used to.

Carbon wheels on trackday motorcycles are old news at this point.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As I mentioned before one of the Ford Dealerships I worked for has 3 Darkhorses in their allocation and not sure if they are still available but if someone is interested drop me a note and I will tell you who to contact -- plus I will tell the manager you are a TMO racer bud!!

Bay Area

Are you the PDC'er that can get one for cost? Id listen to the guys here since there is a wealth of knowledge.

FWIW a wheel and tire assembly is about 60 pounds per assembly, I've never seen a carbon fiber wheel used on a racecar. I think the reason you see them on motorcycles is threefold, first off the front steering wheel acts as a big gyro, and anything that you can do to eliminate that so the bike responds to steering inputs easier and faster is a good thing, secondly, when you are talking over all weight, the wheels on a motorcycle are a much bigger percentage than those applied to a 4 wheel vehicle, so the benefits of running them would be more apparent. lastly, motorcycle road racers generally try to stay a way from each other and off the curbs, cars on the other hand are always grinding on each other and driving over the curbing, for hour s if necessary, if it is a faster line, Carbon fiber just won't hold up to that kind of abuse, same with C/F driveshafts, except for drag cars, or where the shaft is shielded, they just don't have the longevity.

Last edited:
Agree with you on the steering feel being a driver of motorcyclists being early adopters. Consequences tend to be higher from rubbing and that is for sure more avoided, but they/we have no problem to use curbs as berms and jumps. That said, the wheel loading is a LOT lower on a motorcycle which I think is one of the main differences. Connecting the hub/spokes to the rim is tricky, and relying on resin for strength there has always been my worry.

Nowadays though, auto OEMs are street qualifying the wheels to standards, lawyers signing off on them and they’re being sold to the general public. More and more cars are getting them and running around tracks with them.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I would order the standard DH or premium version. Add the 10spd auto, handling pack (which gets the mag ride, larger aluminum wheels, camber plates, spoilers etc) and recaro's if you can fit in them. The car has gt350 brakes, and 350 wheel and tire sizes. With the factory camber plates maxed it is an easy setup for running to the track a few times a year without buying a bunch of aftermarket stuff.

I think carbon wheels are fine for track use, but many shops and dealers won't touch them for lack of equipment or liability. So it really cramps your maintenance options. If you want lighter just throw on some apex wheels and get 90% of the weight savings.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Francisco
I talked to @flyhalf and decided to keep the 10-speed and ditch the carbon wheels in favor of a square Apex setup.

Car is ordered at MSRP, hopefully gets built this summer. My cousin had to get a copy of my driver's license and register it with Ford to create the order, first time he has ever had to do that. He thinks it's to stop dealers from creating their own orders.

My closest Ford dealer, Serramonte Ford, just reached out and said I could order from them for only $10k over MSRP. I said no thank you :)

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors