The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dash light color change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Might be a dumb question, but do we have the capability to change the color of our dash lights? I have a 2013 Boss.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Negative. Unless you rip it out and change the lighting behind it yourself. I miss having mycolor like I did on the '06 but the Boss doesn't need it.

I dont think we can change the color of our dash, but i could swear once i saw purple lights when opening/closing the door.
so i'm guessing, to save $$$ ford used same guage unit assembly as GT; we just dont have the software to change the colors.

ufnavy06 said:
Negative. Unless you rip it out and change the lighting behind it yourself. I miss having mycolor like I did on the '06 but the Boss doesn't need it.

When I was down loading my tune the gauge cluster turned bright green and stayed green until the tune was loaded, it looked really cool, it almost matched the color of the car(GHIG). So I know the colors are there, it's just how do we change, maybe though a hand held tuner?

What color are they normally? "White" LEDs are usually 3 colored ones running at the same time, and I doubt they put different led strips in the Boss anyways. So you could, if you don't mind hacking it, wire in a controller. Then you can adjust it however you want. We actually rigged them up to a midi controller and made speakers that react to the tone and change colors. If you skip to about 2:30 you can see our speaker cabs with the reactive colors, it looks a lot better irl lol

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnalXAnNRE[/youtube]

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
You can make the lights change color and also at the same time add some additional lighting to the inside of the interior. Ford makes an assceesory lighting kit for the mustnag that adds these lights and contoller. I purchased one, and while I have not installed it yet, it looks very simple and easy to do. The kit runs about 190.00, and the controler is out of sight, only a new lighting button is visable on the center consoul.

BLAZN BOSS

I looked into this on my 2008 GT/CS. The control ran through the info display on the guage cluster, the display control was to the left of the center of the dash. For that car I would have had to add the diplay switch (the wiring harness had the wiring plug), change the headlight swich and change the guage cluster since I didnt have the info display. So, maybe, since these cars have the display maybe it is built in..........maybe.............There is lots of stuff in the computer..........My daughters 2010 has had the daytime driving lights turned on terough the dealer handheld.

F.D. Sako said:
I dont think we can change the color of our dash, but i could swear once i saw purple lights when opening/closing the door.
so i'm guessing, to save $$$ ford used same guage unit assembly as GT; we just dont have the software to change the colors.
+1 ive seen my change to green red and purple when the car was off but the key was in and i touched the brake

OK, I went to the Official Ford Accessory site and for this;

Interior Light Kit
Part No: CL8Z-13E700-AA

SRP: $249.00 Suggested Retail Price:View Details

Get local pricing

•Interior lighting sets an engaging glow by adding flair, individuality and atmosphere to your vehicle, whenever the mood strikes.
•Kit includes one LED-generated light in the cupholder area and a light bar in the front foot wells.
•Set your mood by scrolling through your choice of seven color options to create the perfect setting and ambiance for any driving occasion.

This has to be what the OP was referring to http://accessories.ford.com/kit-additional-lamp-electr-parts.html

and not the "My Color Dash"

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Well, I don't know about adding flair when the mood strikes BUT,

I was looking for the connectors in the wire harness to plug in the standard foot well lights that come with some models and I couldn't find any. It would be nice to add a few amenities like those easily. Kinda like someone mentioned that the puddle light wiring for the mirrors is there and just needs the installation of the left and right side mirrors with the puddle lights installed from another model Mustang. I would like to add a couple of foot well lights. I have always thought that those were useful cause it is awful dark in the boss at night with all of that black interior...

I have to admit, it is also strange to see 22GA wires in that wire loom for the various CAN buses as it looks really small compared to other automotive wiring that I have worked with.

John

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
OK, as I figure out how to read the wiring diagram for the boss, it is clear that the controller in the smart junction box appears to have the circuitry to add features like the foot well lights but the wire harness does not. The output pins appear to be a part of the SJB bit the wire harness doesn't have the connection. So it is theoretically possible to add pins and wires to the harness but more work than just plugging in some lamp holders.

The puddle lamp circuit is there along with the wire harness connections as indicated in another post. So adding them is just a matter of getting the mirrors and switching the skull caps from your existing car...

TMO Supporting Vendors