The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona Events 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Week Day Drive With The Fred Flintstone Boss At Daytona

YellowBoss said:
I'm not sure about being at that event at this point. I will be heading to Daytona this weekend and that makes twice this year. I will try to make it and look forward to meeting up, if so I will drop you a message.

Hopefully you can make it but I understand if you don't.

BTW - My wife is flying down and we are going to Miami for a couple of days once I finish up the event. Would you happen to know someplace I could in the Daytona/Sanford area that I could drop my car and open trailer for a few days? I really don't want to pull it down to Miami and have to worry about it the whole time down there. 8)

I do not know anyone in the Daytona area, and outside of the track and Racers Edge shop in Deland, I am not familiar with this town. There are a lot of members here living in FL but I have not heard anyone say they live in Daytona. It is however a Mustang town, saw more SN95's and S197's in one hour around town today then I see in a month where I live.

This may not be the best suggestion but if you need any work or add mods you can leave it at the Racers Edge shop while you are in Miami. Shameless plug I know, just throwing it out there.

BTW I did finally figure out the no start problem after this event, it was the clutch switch. Even with a new one the pedal could not get it depressed so we just wired it shut.

YellowBoss said:
I do not know anyone in the Daytona area, and outside of the track and Racers Edge shop in Deland, I am not familiar with this town. There are a lot of members here living in FL but I have not heard anyone say they live in Daytona. It is however a Mustang town, saw more SN95's and S197's in one hour around town today then I see in a month where I live.

This may not be the best suggestion but if you need any work or add mods you can leave it at the Racers Edge shop while you are in Miami. Shameless plug I know, just throwing it out there.

BTW I did finally figure out the no start problem after this event, it was the clutch switch. Even with a new one the pedal could not get it depressed so we just wired it shut.

Hi Scott,
Your buddy, John Strauss, messaged me and he may know a few people in the Daytona area. He also mentioned he may have something available in the Palm Beach area.

Dean

Dean#4AI said:
Hi Scott,
Your buddy, John Strauss, messaged me and he may know a few people in the Daytona area. He also mentioned he may have something available in the Palm Beach area.

Dean

Great, John is a good guy, he does not post a lot but is a member here. He called me while passing through my town last weekend on his way to Sebring for a NASA event to do lunch but I was half way to Daytona for a different event. Maybe John can sit in with you at the event, he knows Daytona well.

Couple of big things to remember is pass high in the banking and if being passed don't drop too low and put two wheels off on the flat part. Also brake early at the bus stop or you will cut the grass or miss it completely. I did both of these things my first time out there, first lap of the first session I went right through the grass. By the end of that session there were several fresh tracks in the grass so I did not feel too bad. Otherwise Daytona is easy and lots of fun going fast in the banking, if I don't make it have a great time.

Car looks awesome! I LOL'd at the "bump" thing, I raced laydown karts at Daytona for awhile you get to know ALL the bumps!, First time I saw cars there I thought "Why are they braking so late!" Then I ran there in a car, whole different deal. Those Ferraris are pretty cool, they exceeded 200 on the radar gun just before turning in to #1. BTW you may want to enter that turn a little later, it acts like a decreasing radius turn and it will give you some "wiggle room" on the way out if you need it. You have to watch for some yoyo firing it into the corner underneath you though.
Good job , Jon at Racer's Edge seems to be a great guy, I didn't get a chance to talk with him at Lime Rock but I stopped by.

Jon is a straight up guy and he is a wealth of knowledge. I think some of the drivers will return for next season. I hope to see the cars running up front more now that the drivers have had some time to get use to the car and tracks. As always that will depend on how bad the restrictions are next year.

I was not braking at turn four (where I spun), I would lift before and then feather the gas to keep some weight on the rear wheels. It works great most of the time and I was getting through there fairly quick but I think there was room for at least another 5-10 MPH. This time I ran it slower for some reason, I guess I was thinking about the spin.

Turn one is a lot of fun and the Boss hooks up very well there. I was told to keep in tight because there is no grip on the outside of that turn but still I go wider then I was told to. I was being taught by someone who only knows the race line there, I can run that but my speed is slower. Another thing I was told to do is stay high on the wall then pass directly over the second stripe passed the start/finish line. That gives you more of a straight line down the braking zone.

I tried this and it does work but for some reason I found it very hard to stay up high there, it is all psychological but I feel way more comfortable riding the inside stripe. I think that is what you are saying about entering the turn. I had one of the race photographers come over at the event and say I had the best line through there, then at this event the turn one corner worker came over and said the same thing, almost word for word. I will post some vids from this weekend, I had a wiring problem again and it set off the P0023 code. I lost a lot of power because of this and you can see how early I was able to get back in the gas on the new vids.

Had the opportunity to drive Daytona again last weekend, also first time with PCA. Good group of people, the Boss got lots of compliments and respect from them. I was the only Ford there so I guess it stood out. During lunch three corner workers came over to compliment things like sound, speed or how it held the line in turn one. There was only one DE group and two race groups, they did not take time away from the races when things happened on track. This was not a surprise, we were told ahead of time about that. Day one did not go well, we had a full first session with lots of traffic. More then I have run with at this track. Most people were good drivers and not afraid to pass or be passed in the corners, it was a really good learning experience driving off line passing in places like the horseshoes.

Second session started with a black flag for a car in the wall. Two laps after the track went green again another Corvette decided to commit suicide and blew it brains out all over NASCAR turn two in front of me. I was able to get up high in the banking and avoid the oil on track. The clean up took so long we lost our entire third session.

Day two started out bad as it was raining hard the first session. Second session the track was still damp and the race guys said there was no grip in the infield. I went out anyway and there was little grip so I could not run more then 80 percent. Things changed at the end of the day and we finally got some great dry time on track. We had a one hour session, ten minute brake, then another 35 minute session. Found out how long you can go on a tank of gas since I ran out in turn two banking and came in. I was out for 51 minutes (17 laps) but came in the pits for a tire check with my Tech and Dan (Berol) so about 45 minutes of running on a tank maybe less since I get better gas mileage here then other tracks.

Good points were getting some great track time, finally figuring out turn 6 (getting back on the NASCAR turn 1) by the end of the second day, lots of corner passing and learning to brake deeper into turn one (200 foot mark) and the bus stop (250 feet). The PFC 01's worked great during the extended session, no fade or loss of pedal. I used a set of 01's that had been scrubbed in with about 24mm remaining. After the 50 and 35 minute back to back runs they had 19 to 22mm left. I was real happy to see how they held up under longer periods of heat.

Bad points were, heal toe braking from high speed, too slow at turn 4 (were I spun last time out), not always hitting the bus stop at a good angle and getting through there at a good speed. Also the P0023 came on first session and stayed on the whole weekend. Same as the P0020 or 21 codes I got before but the exhaust cam this time. Before it failed I had a few runs at 158 to 159 before the bus stop but no clean run to the tri-oval. I was hoping to see speeds better then 170 there since I had my 5th gear changed to a .80 gear. My tech said the variable timing was probably very reduced the entire time. I did find I could power off the corners very early, guess that was due to reduced power.

Ended up cracking both rear rotors again, this has happened the last three time here and now I realize that it does not matter how old the rotor is it will crack at this track after a few runs. My tech actually heard it pop when refueling between the two long sessions and he said it knocked the brake dust off the wheel. With no time to change I headed back out anyway and by the time I was done one rotor had four cracks and the other three. It did not feel bad at all running with the cracks I could hardly tell the difference. Next time I am bringing a set of OEM cheap blanks here.

CIMG4322_zpsbbe717e9.png

Anyway here are a few vids of the final sessions. They are full uncut with all the errors you want to pick at ::) The camera was pointed downward in the last vid so I can could see more of my foot work and it is sun washed out in places but still some good shots of the track. I was having a very hard time braking deep and pulling off the heal toe downshifts. It is easier on lower speed corners but when you are pushing the pedal down further, longer and dropping three gears it is a whole new ballgame. In the last session I gave up trying to do both at some point from being tired and doing it wrong over and over.

Second to last session is in two parts 50 minutes total, the GoPro split the files at lap 11. There is some traffic at first then a few clean laps. On the third lap a Corvette was trying to pass and overshot the brake zone missing the bus stop. I did lift for him, I was not trying to race to the corner. (Vids are still loading, slow connection)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b830nloi2M
HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTo2yFlWEg0
Low Res
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=javjA3Q5VRw

Last session
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIFuo91iHL0 HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xItvlzzx-Q low res

Big thanks to Dan for bring his GoPro out to the track after mine got wet in a fast moving shower. Also to my friend Rob who is a Ford Tech at the local dealer, I would have been lost without his help this weekend and Racers Edge Motorsports for once again setting and fixing the car up last week.

just took a look at the videos and estimated 2:26. Not terribly bad i'd say for never done that track before + i didnt go above 150

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: Week Day Drive At Daytona / Plus New Vids From the PCA OctoberFast Outing

"Only 24mm" of pad to start with...LOL. I forgot you have the pro-kit brakes. :)

PF01s are great pads IMO.

Daisuke149 said:
just took a look at the videos and estimated 2:26. Not terribly bad i'd say for never done that track before + i didnt go above 150

You did great out there, it is all about having some fun and taking the car home in one piece. I have fun my own way, believe it or not, always trying to best my lap time. Next year you will be in the low teens, I'm sure. I did get lucky at our event when I spun, I could hear 20 voices saying "both feet in" and I did it fast enough to pull the car back across the track instead of heading to wall on the left. Almost every incident I have seen there is turn 4 and 5.

That event is great almost too much track time, if I was not the type of guy that would sell his mother for an extra ten minutes on track I would have sat one session out :D

ArizonaGT said:
"Only 24mm" of pad to start with...LOL. I forgot you have the pro-kit brakes. :)

I love them and will not switch to anything else. Just wish I knew how well the Castrol brake fluid worked before I hit a tire wall at Sebring. We did a quick flush on the calipers only because the trans was out for a broken slave cylinder. It was not a complete flush and the fluid was in there for more then two months and three track days. I had 100% pedal during the long last sessions, as I said losing brakes is the last thing on my mind now.

BTW, did you know they are changing the numbers? Here is what I have but I'm not sure I copied the old 07 number, maybe that is the 06. I doubt they are making the 07 again.
01 is now 11
97 is now 14
08 (endure) is now 12
07 is 13 (may be wrong here)

Re: Week Day Drive At Daytona / Plus New Vids From the PCA OctoberFast Outing

SRF, I get it from HRP World (Hoerr Racing) they do not have a part number just Castrol SRF.

Here is the vid of the Corvette exploding, it is sun washed but you can see I had zero visibility for a couple of seconds. There is a car in front of me watch that disappear for a while, plus you can see my car gets smoke inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvU0q5Fty3c

Re: Week Day Drive At Daytona / Plus New Vids From the PCA Oktoberfast Outing

Nice videos as always. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully I can make it down that way in december

Berol said:
Hopefully I can make it down that way in december

Dan you will do great if you make the Dec date. We have talked about many things at Daytona, be careful about the things I wrote above like getting to low and dropping two wheels of the banking. I hope I can make it but if not talk with John in the silver LS Boss if you have any questions.

I am putting up a high res of 3-2 and will try to get the 3-1 up also. I have a super slow connection so I reduce the res on the vids, 3-1 is going to take a whole day to upload. I also have a vid following the white DP around the track, do you want to see that?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blacksheep have you ever seen anything like this. Front set was off balance so we swapped them out, as we did my tech found this :eek: I remember a wire in the wheel at PBIR you found but I think that was in the contact patch.

CIMG4338_zps189ba922.png
CIMG4340_zps67a0ced4.png

ArizonaGT said:

Do I have to say I'm nuts or does the pic say it all.

CIMG4335_zps27150005.jpg
Most of this was take-off

Let me see if I can sneak this "Daytona vid" past the mods..... :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKsTuiudyU&feature=c4-overview&list=UU87j_-SIjbzUqlY8tuKlZyQ

blacksheep-1 said:
Let me see if I can sneak this "Daytona vid"

That engine is pretty amazing but all I keep thinking watching that is - how much did it cost to rent the track for one car?

My money is not on a four/six cylinder in the 15 Mustang even with what they have done to the 3.5 and other turbos. I suppose it will happen some day since a bunch of Id***s, who can't even do the most basic part of their own job, are forcing them into smaller cars and engines (or maybe just the opposite again more trucks and SUV's). Never had a Mustang II, always drove V8's and will miss them no matter how good the 3.5 can be.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131001/GRAND_AM/131009989

Blacksheep have you ever seen anything like this. Front set was off balance so we swapped them out, as we did my tech found this :eek: I remember a wire in the wheel at PBIR you found but I think that was in the contact patch.

no, in fact it was eerily similar to what you have there, I've never seen someone pick up as much crap in their tires as you do, are you sure you don't have magnetic wheels or something?

blacksheep-1 said:
no, in fact it was eerily similar to what you have there, I've never seen someone pick up as much crap in their tires as you do, are you sure you don't have magnetic wheels or something?

Maybe I drive so hard they get so hot and sticky ;D or maybe sliding sideways in the bus stop heats them :eek:

Yea this was a weird one, need to take off the tire to see how this wire went in. It was leaking air so I was lucky they were off balance and we decided to swap out the fronts. Daytona is pretty clean most of the time, if you do a track day after the 12 hours at Sebring there is garbage every where in the paddock, scrap metal, razor blades etc. I have see many guys cut tires there after the race.

The Boss at the 1:15 mark in this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt8I69KxIGY

Dean#4AI said:
I've signed up for the December event with the Audi Club. Any of you guys going to be there? :)

Do you have the info on the track event ? Im interested in going although I "probably" wont run, I'd love too check it out. Im sure once I get it in my veins, I will be tracking the car.

Also, does anyone know when and where there are other track events in Florida, South Florida. Ive never raced other than 1/4 mile. PBIR(palm bch international raceway) has a track but Ive never been on it. Anybody been there?

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel