The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona Events 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Week Day Drive With The Fred Flintstone Boss At Daytona

KonaBlue302 said:
Do you have the info on the track event ? Im interested in going although I "probably" wont run, I'd love too check it out. Im sure once I get it in my veins, I will be tracking the car.

Also, does anyone know when and where there are other track events in Florida, South Florida. Ive never raced other than 1/4 mile. PBIR(palm bch international raceway) has a track but Ive never been on it. Anybody been there?

Dave

The Daytona event is here
http://www.audiclubohiovalley.org/profiles/blogs/audi-club-at-daytona-international-speedway
If you want to go see just drive to the gate and sign in. They should not ask any questions but if they do tell them you are running the event.

Places to check for events
http://www.motorsportreg.com/
http://www.meetup.com/trackweekend/
also the PBOC site, FL's PCA, Track Guys and others.
PBIR is a fun track even if some put it down. I like it much better then the infield course at HMS. Daytona is fun but the place to be always remains Sebring in FL.

KonaBlue302 said:
Do you have the info on the track event ? Im interested in going although I "probably" wont run, I'd love too check it out. Im sure once I get it in my veins, I will be tracking the car.

Also, does anyone know when and where there are other track events in Florida, South Florida. Ive never raced other than 1/4 mile. PBIR(palm bch international raceway) has a track but Ive never been on it. Anybody been there?

Dave

Hi Dave,
I hope you can make it even though you may not run. Daytona is an awesome place even as a spectator. It will be my first time there although not my first time tracking the car. I've never run a banked track in the Mustang so that will be quite an experience.
Hope to see you there!

Dean

YellowBoss said:
The Daytona event is here
http://www.audiclubohiovalley.org/profiles/blogs/audi-club-at-daytona-international-speedway
If you want to go see just drive to the gate and sign in. They should not ask any questions but if they do tell them you are running the event.

Places to check for events
http://www.motorsportreg.com/
http://www.meetup.com/trackweekend/
also the PBOC site, FL's PCA, Track Guys and others.
PBIR is a fun track even if some put it down. I like it much better then the infield course at HMS. Daytona is fun but the place to be always remains Sebring in FL.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the info. It looks like a blast. Im gonna have hit up PBIR. Where are you based out of?

Dave

Dean#4AI said:
Hi Dave,
I hope you can make it even though you may not run. Daytona is an awesome place even as a spectator. It will be my first time there although not my first time tracking the car. I've never run a banked track in the Mustang so that will be quite an experience.
Hope to see you there!

Dean

Thanks Dean, Im looking forward to it. I have walked the infield during car shows and that bank is STEEEEEP!!!! I think I'd crap myself first lap, then enjoy the hell out of it as long as I didn't screw up and eat it somewhere. I wonder what the realistic minimum speed you need to go into the bank to not just fall over while banking....its that steeeeeeeep, lol. I will look for any and all boss owners....hope to see you there.

Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
Thanks Dean, Im looking forward to it. I have walked the infield during car shows and that bank is STEEEEEP!!!! I think I'd crap myself first lap, then enjoy the hell out of it as long as I didn't screw up and eat it somewhere. I wonder what the realistic minimum speed you need to go into the bank to not just fall over while banking....its that steeeeeeeep, lol. I will look for any and all boss owners....hope to see you there.

Dave

I took a Skip Barber course there about a little over 10 years ago. It was their small open wheel cars and we were just using some of the infield course. One day we had the opportunity to run the 24 hrs course but it was with a pace car and it was going very slow. I have no idea how fast we were going but it felt like we were going to slide right down to the bottom. I wish we would have had the chance to run at speed. :(

Dean

Dean#4AI said:
I have no idea how fast we were going but it felt like we were going to slide right down to the bottom.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say instead of falling over ;)

Re: Week Day Drive At Daytona / Plus New Vids From the PCA Oktoberfast Outing

This may not be the right forum to ask this question but what would be necessary/suggestions for me to prep my 12' stock boss for the track as to do the best I can without doing any damage to my baby or getting to crazy. There has to be a "minimum mandatory" for the enthusiast.

Thanks,
Dave

Minimum prep for a track day for someone starting out is DOT 4 brake fluid. The Boss is a great car right out the box. As you start driving harder and making changes it gets more complicated, again it's not the car fault (besides clutch/trans) since it was built to drive to work and the store. Some of us should have bought the 302S race car. If you do a search there are many threads here on how to prep the Boss for the first outing.

As far as Daytona goes everyone feels something different. I felt lightheaded or the feeling that you are floating out of your body, really. I was so happy to get back on the flat part after my first lap. Some people have gone there and ran two or three laps then come in and go home. After the first session I started to get use to it and now after being there several times I feel fine in the banking.

As far as the lowest speed I don't know but it would be very slow like 10-15 MPH. At multi day events there is always complaints about people doing 40 MPH all the way around the track when they see the checkered flag. I have felt like I was going to roll over a few times. It is so annoying when people do that not only at Daytona but other tracks. Takes for ever to get back in on a three mile track and you can not get good pressure and temps.

I am just north of the lake, between PBIR and Sebring.

Rob just for the hell of it a close up
DSC08199-0_zps2c98481b.jpg

East Horseshoe shot by a friend, missed it by that much ::)
DSC08210-0_zpse3d0c73c.jpg
DSC08211-0_zps69b9ed08.jpg
DSC08212-0_zps4b7e95c8.jpg
DSC08213-0_zps8ffbd7fa.jpg

Those photos look really good. Still don't understand how that wire got in the sidewall

It looks like you picked it up in a corner, or while sliding the car, the tire was "bent" over and the wire went in, bottomed out(on either the rim or maybe some of the steel belts) and was forced back out of the side.
BTW you need to be doing about 90 plus to stay on the banking anything else the car will crab sideways.

Thanks Dan my friend Rob you meet took them, he took many nice shots - for a mechanic anyway ;D I posted two HD's on my utube page and you can see much better even if they are sun washed it is not as bad. I really need to get a roll bar mount and try that but I'm thinking next time to take the go pro off the "spot" setting and see if it get any better. I know you are doing the same thing with the helmet, try it both ways on that setting and see what happens. I did get the time to look over some of the other sessions with traffic, we did do a lot of passing in corners and my car stuck very well when off line in turns. While there is always room to improve I feel good about those sessions and everyone, including myself, doing it safely.

Rob, believe me I have done a lot slower then 90 up there, not that I wanted to!

YellowBoss said:
Minimum prep for a track day for someone starting out is DOT 4 brake fluid. The Boss is a great car right out the box. As you start driving harder and making changes it gets more complicated, again it's not the car fault (besides clutch/trans) since it was built to drive to work and the store. Some of us should have bought the 302S race car. If you do a search there are many threads here on how to prep the Boss for the first outing.

As far as Daytona goes everyone feels something different. I felt lightheaded or the feeling that you are floating out of your body, really. I was so happy to get back on the flat part after my first lap. Some people have gone there and ran two or three laps then come in and go home. After the first session I started to get use to it and now after being there several times I feel fine in the banking.

As far as the lowest speed I don't know but it would be very slow like 10-15 MPH. At multi day events there is always complaints about people doing 40 MPH all the way around the track when they see the checkered flag. I have felt like I was going to roll over a few times. It is so annoying when people do that not only at Daytona but other tracks. Takes for ever to get back in on a three mile track and you can not get good pressure and temps.

I am just north of the lake, between PBIR and Sebring.

Thanks Scott. And your pretty close to PBIR. Im going to start there I think to get use to tracking. I'll have to check out sebring when they have events, its supposed to be a nice track. Homestead I heard is awesome also. So many tracks, so little time. I should just buy a laguna seca , 302r or s and keep the grocery getter for cruisin and bruisin the streets. ;)

Let me know if your gonna go to any local/florida events and I may be able to catch up w/you at one of them.

Thanks again Scott,
Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
Thanks Scott. And your pretty close to PBIR. Im going to start there I think to get use to tracking. I'll have to check out sebring when they have events, its supposed to be a nice track. Homestead I heard is awesome also. So many tracks, so little time. I should just buy a laguna seca , 302r or s and keep the grocery getter for cruisin and bruisin the streets. ;)

Let me know if your gonna go to any local/florida events and I may be able to catch up w/you at one of them.

Thanks again Scott,
Dave

Dave
PBIR is a great place to start out because it is easy to remember the turns and tell where you are at. I enjoy running PBIR, some people will put it down and say it is easy or other things but to run it correctly takes some skills especially in the long sweeping turns. Sebring is the best track down here but takes getting use to. I do not like HMS on the infield course, only running the banking makes it worth the trip. I am looking at some upcoming events at Sebring. Take a look at the trackweekend and you can head out to any of the events to watch, ask questions and learn how the track days work. All you need to do is pull up to the track and tell them you are there for the event, sign a waiver and you are in. Keep in touch and I will let you know for sure about when I headed to the track.

YellowBoss said:
Dave
PBIR is a great place to start out because it is easy to remember the turns and tell where you are at. I enjoy running PBIR, some people will put it down and say it is easy or other things but to run it correctly takes some skills especially in the long sweeping turns. Sebring is the best track down here but takes getting use to. I do not like HMS on the infield course, only running the banking makes it worth the trip. I am looking at some upcoming events at Sebring. Take a look at the trackweekend and you can head out to any of the events to watch, ask questions and learn how the track days work. All you need to do is pull up to the track and tell them you are there for the event, sign a waiver and you are in. Keep in touch and I will let you know for sure about when I headed to the track.

Sounds great, Thanks Scott. I will start at PBIR and get use to racing this car(other than 1/4 mile at a time ;)) Definitely let me know what events your attending and I will catch up with you.

Thanks again brother,
Dave

Dean#4AI said:
I've signed up for the December event with the Audi Club. Any of you guys going to be there? :)

KonaBlue302 said:
Sounds great, Thanks Scott. I will start at PBIR and get use to racing this car(other than 1/4 mile at a time ;)) Definitely let me know what events your attending and I will catch up with you.

Thanks again brother,
Dave

Guys, one site member will be picking up some race parts from Racers Edge during this weekend. I signed up for Sat and Sun and will be bringing a friend also wants to see the shop. I talked with the owner and he is open to having a Q & A visit "with as many people as we want" So I am thinking we can get together after the last session on Saturday and all head out there. Thinking about Saturday since my friend is working on Friday. Everyone who can read this is invited.

Suppose we could all do dinner before heading back to the hotels. Drop me a note if this sounds good, if needed we can adjust the schedule.

Ok, looks like we have a good group put together for a visit of the Racers Edge shop after track activates Saturday. I'm not sure how many other site members are coming to the event, driving or not, right now I think there are four site members running with several guests. If anyone else would like to join us just drop me a note.

Ah, Daytona 13 AKA The Worst Event I Ever Drove At.

Off the track it was a good time. I meet up with some friends from this site John, Dan, Rob and others I know from the site but never met in person like Dean. Every Boss except one full blown race car left without a scratch. Jon from Racers Edge gave up his Saturday night to meet about 12 of us at his race shop. He gave a full tour and answered many questions without rushing anybody out.

On track was a different story. Way too many people in the advanced group who either did not know about or did not care about thing like passing zone discussed at the meeting or flags. I got point-bys at non-passing areas, the first being the first lap of the first session in the non-passing area after turn one. I also got point-bys over and over during black and checkered flags. At times it seemed the only way there was no point-bys, was during the green flag. Getting cut off, people driving so far off line in corners I had to brake hard just to avoid a collision, driving through the bus stop under black flag were factors that made me decide never to run this event again. I understand I am not perfect and I have missed a few corners myself but I try my best to be curious to other drivers, understanding a flags meaning and passing zones. I think driving the beginner group would have been a better option since the people there would have a least tried to remember the passing zones and flag rules from their classroom.

Dean and John were very fast out there and even with 20K worth of mods to my car I had trouble keeping up or shaking them. I think they have some extra power tricks they would not tell me about, at least that is what I want to believe ;D There a some shots behind Dean's Boss, John I did not make any utubes of your car. Sunday with less cars (guessing from all the wrecks on Saturday) I was able to get a few things I wanted to see, 160+ on the back stretch and 170+ on the front in the tri-oval (172.23). I did best my lap time with a 206.2 but had hoped to get under 205. Saturday I threw codes for the variable timing, this time on the exhaust cams. P0013 and P0015 - I think they were. At one point the car had very limited power under 5500 RPM's. While this could have been worse most of the sessions Saturday consisted of only 2 to 4 laps because of wrecks.

Sunday started out OK as we pulled off the cam connectors and cleaned them. Did not get a code after that. I left a worn set of tires on the car since with all the traffic I did not want to waste a good set I brought with me. After lunch we put the good set on only to have a mis-fire develop. Jon tried to help and told us where to look but I did not know it was a mis-fire until the last session. My wiring harness is new.

Anyway here are some vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW36gg-l_Js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2eT7Lz4fw

Some of Dean's Boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wdCErcohI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgONucALBVE

Another with Dean's car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cPB8qp9fg

jas427

BOSS LS #469
Hey Scott
Sorry you are planing not to go next year. I hope I can change your mind. I have reserved 6 stalls and hope to sign more. I understand the total lack of rules out there, but it got me in the same mine set as those passing anywhere. Running in group 1 it was 70 % race cars and anyone in that group should have been able to handle the high speed passes any where on track. Your group was also advanced and the race teams were there to test and ran in every group. Dave in the yellow Roush was overwhelmed in group 2. He never should have been in that group. Hope to get those pictures soon and will cut you a disc. And as for my Horse Power I removed the cats and installed the Boss S tune which uses GT 260 or 98.Having your trans would make at world of difference in my car. I lose almost a second every shift pulling it out of gear and trying to get it in gear. The Whiteline trans insert helped, I could shift at 7000 and not get locked out. Here is one of my better videos. And one of Laguna Seca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzA47aFnQPU&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLARkWjCvFCWEB_Ck2FwA06kmuVXPrzXbr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_YIcALMn0

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel