The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona Events 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John, I don't care what you have done, without coilovers a 207 if F'ing fling out there. I was disappointed at my bus stop speed for sure and not been able to get through turn 4 at higher speed was hurting me. Since I spun in four at high speed it has been difficult to get back to the 110+ speeds.

I have run this track without any clear rules and it turned out very well because the drivers had some experience or at least knew enough how to adapt to any given condition. Day one was outright dangerous last weekend IMO, even if Daytona is an easy track there is little room for error at the speeds run there. I was so frustrated driving each session until the last three on Sunday I could not concentrate out there. If I could have got a refund on the hotel I would have packed up on Saturday.

The PBOC event was a good time, I wonder if they just cancelled this year or for good. Maybe I can get involved with NASA like Doug said and try that some day. At least this was not a total loss, it was good to meet some new people and hang out with friends.

John, that was a long haul from FL. Did you make it to Sonoma too?

Berol said:
Great to meet everybody over the weekend!

Dan, just watched you video and it was excellent, you should post it here. You drove the line even when others around you were not, that is very good. Looking at the video it is hard to believe this was your first time there and one of only a few track days.

Couple of points, you stayed in tight in the turn one exit, that is good as it sets you up for the S turn You can wait just a little longer to turn in there, then you can power out better. East horseshoe was the same, good tight turn but again hang it out just a little longer and get a better power off at the end. What you drove was essentially the race line but since it is track day you can wait to turn as nobody is going to steal a spot. In turn four and the bus stop just remember to keep weight on the rear wheels by feathering the throttle, a few time you coasted and without TC that can hurt you.

West horseshoe and six were great, six maybe the hardest turn out there. You drove it well but you can let the car track out a little more. The biggest and only real change you need to make is stay high on the wall all the way passed the start finish. I drove the same in the beginning until I was told how to turn in correctly. Stay on the white stripes in the tri-oval and turn in at the second one passed start/finish, that gives you a more straight line down into one. I still have trouble staying high there since I drove it low for so long, if you start now it will be easier to get use to.

I have to say I expected you would do well after the way you handled PBIR but I'm overly impressed on your driving. Your heal/toe sounded great, you were consistent and did not let others pull you off course and much more. The tips I pass on are things that you would only expect to pass on to someone refining their line after getting to know the track, not to someone after their first time out.

Yeah we bent the "t" car...merely a flesh wound. The issue is of course, you hvae to get through the bus stop fast in order to have any top speed on the straight, so everyone pushes the bust stop to the max. BTW, speaking of drivers, I was ready to yank the Black Camaro driver out and take his keys..running 86mph in a bunch of 170+ mph cars, not too smart.

jas427

BOSS LS #469
No time to make it to any other tracks. We spent 2 weeks out there and only made it to Laguna because we found someone to rent us mustangs to drive. This was our 2nd time renting mustangs the first at the Boss Trackattack. I guess this will be a yearly event for us to drive a different track in rented mustangs as long as we can find someone to supply the cars. The wives want to go to New York city next year plenty of tracks around that area. I really want to go back to Laguna, Rena beat me by 2 seconds in his rented stang. I want a rematch.

Scott
I may run with NASA at Daytona for a day next year before the Audi event. Lets see how the year goes.

John

Hey Scott...I agree with the lack of talent or common sense at Daytona this year. Of course I ran in Group 3, but I watched 1 and 2 run. Actually did a run in Group 1 in a 911. I snapped a pic or two of your ride Saturday morning. Love the car. Vids are great too !!

Great talking to John. Loved he was always first in line in Group 1. Only got one shot of him though.

IMAG0172_zpscf603cf6.jpg

IMAG0164_zps2889899d.jpg

IMAG0165_zps37c88c66.jpg

blacksheep-1 said:
It sort of sucked that they wouldn't let anyone over the wall as well, I had time on sunday but was screwed over by that deal.

Yea that was kind of strange, my friend was looking forward to doing that again. I was there a few weeks ago and they had no problem with people going over the wall. This group said it was Daytona that made the rule and not them, even so I saw people going over the wall twice at the black flag station. I guess you needed to be really special to do it not just "race team special" lol.

If you attended the drivers meeting you may have heard the track made a point of telling everyone that if they get out of a stopped car the fire crew will assume the car is on fire unload on it. The last two events I have been at both had someone get out of the car after stopping in the NASCAR turns. They may be getting tired of things like this at DE's.

Poole1 said:
Hey Scott...I agree with the lack of talent or common sense at Daytona this year. Of course I ran in Group 3, but I watched 1 and 2 run. Actually did a run in Group 1 in a 911.

blacksheep-1 said:
I was ready to yank the Black Camaro driver out and take his keys..running 86mph in a bunch of 170+ mph cars, not too smart.

That is the strange thing, 3 and 4 had little or no problems, just 1 and 2. While I'm not perfect and there were many talented drivers out there and I think the lack of checking for experience led some to figured they could drive those groups without track experience because they thought their car was fast. If you look back at some vids in this thread Rob you will see slower cars that get lapped without problems, so speed is not the issue.

Poole1 said:
I snapped a pic or two of your ride Saturday morning. Love the car. Vids are great too !!
Great talking to John. Loved he was always first in line in Group 1. Only got one shot of him though.

Thanks for the comments and pics! I swear it must be a FL thing but if you suit up at first call down here and drive out to the line without rushing you are always number one in line. BTW big thanks to John for talking my friend out for a ride Sunday morning, that made his day!

jas427 said:
I may run with NASA at Daytona for a day next year before the Audi event. Lets see how the year goes.

Consider the Ferrari Exotic Car Celebration if you can get time off, lots of run time.

Couple of other notes:
I did use a set of used cheapo blank rear rotors, for the first time ever at this track I did not crack the rear rotors.

Had at least one Boss owner tell me the AdvancedTrac error went off. There is a good chance something like a radio frequency is setting them off. Mine has gone into error on and off track, including driving in town and also while attending the Grand Am race.

YellowBoss said:
Dan, just watched you video and it was excellent, you should post it here. You drove the line even when others around you were not, that is very good. Looking at the video it is hard to believe this was your first time there and one of only a few track days.

Couple of points, you stayed in tight in the turn one exit, that is good as it sets you up for the S turn You can wait just a little longer to turn in there, then you can power out better. East horseshoe was the same, good tight turn but again hang it out just a little longer and get a better power off at the end. What you drove was essentially the race line but since it is track day you can wait to turn as nobody is going to steal a spot. In turn four and the bus stop just remember to keep weight on the rear wheels by feathering the throttle, a few time you coasted and without TC that can hurt you.

West horseshoe and six were great, six maybe the hardest turn out there. You drove it well but you can let the car track out a little more. The biggest and only real change you need to make is stay high on the wall all the way passed the start finish. I drove the same in the beginning until I was told how to turn in correctly. Stay on the white stripes in the tri-oval and turn in at the second one passed start/finish, that gives you a more straight line down into one. I still have trouble staying high there since I drove it low for so long, if you start now it will be easier to get use to.

I have to say I expected you would do well after the way you handled PBIR but I'm overly impressed on your driving. Your heal/toe sounded great, you were consistent and did not let others pull you off course and much more. The tips I pass on are things that you would only expect to pass on to someone refining their line after getting to know the track, not to someone after their first time out.

Thanks for the help and the kind words Scott. I went back and watched the video. I can see what you're talking about. Next time I make my way down there I'll be sure to give those lines a try.

Here is a link to the video Scott is talking about.

[youtube]eymjlLB5j6c[/youtube]

YellowBoss said:
While I'm not perfect and there were many talented drivers out there and I think the lack of checking for experience led some to figured they could drive those groups without track experience because they thought their car was fast.

If you look back at some vids in this thread Rob you will see slower cars that get lapped without problems, so speed is not the issue.

This reminded me of the Video "Flat Out!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmnennvBhM[/youtube]

Hi guys!
It was great to meet you guys and sorry I didn't get to meet some of you.

All I can say is Wow! The high banks is something everyone should experience at least once because it is nothing like anything I've done before. The speed is incredible although you do get used to it after awhile. I put on about 400 miles and the Boss performed perfectly! My best time was 2:09.133 which ended up on one of the last sessions on Sunday. Probably trying to either keep Scott behind me or keeping up with him. Either way, I didn't do a very good job. :D

Although there were a few asshats out there, I really only had one close call when I almost stuffed my Boss up a Corvette's butt in the bus stop. Going from 155 to 50 was a real butt pucker moment! :eek:

All in all, I had an awesome time and the weather was perfect!!

I'll post a few pictures of some of the cars in the garage.
IMG_3300.png
IMG_3298.png
IMG_3304.png
IMG_3308.png
IMG_3309.png

Boss_302 said:
Great photos!

What type of camera?

Thanks

Doug

Thanks. The camera isn't anything special. It's just a small Canon PowerShot A2000IS.

Although I just shot a few of the nicer cars, there were way too many Miatas and 944s out there. Very slow although most kept a good eye on their mirrors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Dean, It was great to meet you and your wife... Here are some pics from our garage area.

20131205_172627_zps87db23dd.jpg

20131206_172425_zpsfc95c559.jpg

DSC01907_zps4b3b6fd5.jpg

Also some video of my last run on Friday at Daytona... I have some other videos I'm putting together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJxc5tnlKTQ

The Whistler said:
Also some video of my last run on Friday at Daytona... I have some other videos I'm putting together. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FJxc5tnlKTQ

you accidently copied a shortened URL, here is the vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJxc5tnlKTQ

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel