The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona Events 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Up at Daytona running some laps with the Ferrari Race Club. Car spent Wed. at the Racers Edge shop having the coilovers installed and we did not get done to late. Had a problem with one of the rear Koni shocks off last years Boss R. It snapped at the bottom but right after we pulled out of the shop and was only going two miles an hour. Thought my weekend was over but Jon did a search and came up with replacements. The crew stayed at work until around 8pm to get the car finished for me, what an honor.

The process was long and a lot more involved then I had thought - setting up the corner weights etc - turns out the weight of my car is 3403 and not what I posted before since they added weight for driver and fuel. That is only 60 pounds more then a Grand Am car, now with the coilovers it should be closer. All of the work was worth it (for me) since the car is on rails. I mean wow, it is like a real race car and I drive with more confidence now.

Having said that I was able to turn out a few 2:07 laps, best at 2:07.2 while not great it's a respectable time here. Speed was disappointing at only 167MPH was looking for 170 or better. I will post some vids later.

While the car runs great, it will not start. I have to get some of the Ferrari guys to help me push start it for each session, thus the new name as the Flintstone car in the garage. It is a shame since I am in a garage with many expansive cars and get compliments all day long and people coming in to take pictures. I have had every part of the starting system replaced but Ford does not to help out too much with the issue it would seem.

The other major problem is the AdvancedTrac system going into error mode anytime I am near the town of Daytona, five time now. Once again this was looked at several times and some tests were done but they quickly forgot about it. I can not drive the car with the system on and in error mode it looks like it stays on full. I called a local dealer to look at it but the said they were busy. Got the idea to call Jon at Racers Edge and he had an ABS module for one of the 302R race cars, they had just switched to a new unit this year with the new 380MM brakes.

To my surprise he drove down to the track with the new module, I installed it in minutes and problem solved AdvancedTrac turned off for good. Now I can replaced to sticker on the steering wheel that reminds me to shut it off with a "go look for three guys to push start the car sticker" ::)

Quick vid someone took of my boss and some pics of the company this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsROz9b68g

a1_zpsb8c9b60d.jpg
a2_zps715a44e5.jpg
a3_zps200284c7.jpg

Even two GT's here, passed one ;D

a4_zps903fbb0a.png
Some vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsWt0cz0Jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3pYbJU7AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQefpfqf5iI

Re: Week Day Drive With The Fred Flintstone Boss

Cool, did you put a full cage in your Boss? And how are those new brakes working? I was hanging with some Ferrari owners on Monday and they do appreciate the Boss. It really gets their attention when you pass them. ;)

ArizonaGT said:
how did you like the new ABS module? Car looks mean...

It is pretty sweet but did not get a good feel for it until I put in a set of PFC 01's today, after that it felt like a different car. I had a new set of Pagid 25mm pads on day 1 and even with the new module the brakes would get "hard" under heavy load. It is not that the pedal went soft or any fade, the Castrol fluid made sure that did not happen all weekend, it was that no matter how hard I push the pedal there was no extra bite in the pads.

I burn them a little more then halfway all day yesterday and this morning in one session they turned to dust, I have had the same thing happen to the 01's but at the last few MM's. With this module and the 01's you could really feel the torque increase at the end of the brake zone and even control the torque.

--------------------------
Besides the push-to-start option the Boss got a great deal of respect. Several people asked me "what do I have in it" like changes to the engine for HP. They could not believe I had done nothing to the engine and only the PVC delete, drive shaft and cat delete have that added ponies. One guy was a Shelby owner I passed and he said he want to get a Boss now. Even many of the Ferrari drivers came over and gave me compliments on the performance. While a better driver could have driven this car to a 205 (I think) the best time I got was in the 2:07's.

It was a super fun weekend but the DE was added in to the race group as an extra. There was little in the way of rules and even at the drivers meeting they did not even go over passing or point by's except to say slow cars should stay low in the banking. By the end of the day it was a free-for-all out there. Few people were even using some kind of signal to point-by and I went with with the flow. I did things that would have got me kicked out of other groups but everyone was doing the same, passing in corners no point-bys etc. With very few exceptions in my class during both days it actually went great since most of the drivers in my class had lots of experience.

In the other group a student said the brake pedal was going soft so the instructor told him to pull over :eek: in NASCAR turn 3 :eek: :eek: and they got out of the car to switch drivers :eek: :eek: :eek: ! Also saw at least 4 wrecked Ferrari's and several other cars, I would say more then five percent of the cars there wrecked.

Besides having Jon from Racers Edge going out of the world to help out, I was able to get some instruction from Rich Golinello who was there to instruct a friend in the race group. His friend won both races BTW. The car is a tad bit on the loose side but just enough to have fun :D I have some great vids I need to edit and everyone will be running out to buy coilovers.

CIMG4014_zps0b289cb8.jpg

Figure I would quickly post up the more exciting part of the weekend. Lost it in the infield kink at 110 and went on a wild ride. I was pushing the limits and seeing how far I could go, well I found the limit. I thought I hit the curbing and took weight off the back but one of the drivers behind me said I tuned in a little late and hit a bump there (he knows the track). He said he could see the rear lift up and it took just enough grip of the rear tires. All I could think is the old both feet in you heard a thousand times, I did that and stayed off the wall. Most car that lose it in this turn go into the wall on the left side. Lesson learned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsWt0cz0Jo

Another pass by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm43Vpqr0jA

drano38

Wayne

Scott,
Thanks for posting.
Car looks great, and sounds mean.
But please stay off the grass--the landscapers hate getting it tore up! ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Cool, did you put a full cage in your Boss?

No, not yet. I think if I was to do that I would just a tub from FR and transfer the parts over. This way you can add a fuel cell and other things that are built in.

drano38 said:
But please stay off the grass--the landscapers hate getting it tore up! ;)
Sent them the bill for grass cutting :D Glad I still had a splitter after going over the curbing.

Here are some vids from the event. First one is washed out because it was very bright with little cloud cover. Had a few good laps in here and the best as far as being consistent, at least for me. Had some fun with several cars, the black car and I did some long stretches side by side in the banking, I knew he was a good driver and did not lift unless we got close to a turn since I could tell he was to be trusted. I wish he was not so much faster then me as it would have been fun to follow and learn a few thing off him. We finally met during the second day and passed on some mutual respect.

Second vid, first session Friday, is not washed out and you get a good view of Daytona. This was not the best laps for me but it has a few fun moments in it as the track was very slick from high humidity over night. This vid contains of of three missed shifts for the two days, also two of the only three bad things that happened all weekend. One with a white car riding high (another time he turned down into me) and almost popped the the Audi going into the bus stop at 17:30. If you turn the volume down to mid-way you will hear some NSFW language.

Anyone know what kind of car that is at 17:30? I would think it could take the bus stop a little better. I was standing on the brakes and started looking to the inside to see where I was going off the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQefpfqf5iI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3pYbJU7AM[/youtube]

Some pic found by member mtnbikefuel80, thanks Eric and credits to Brandon for taking the photos.
Bossinfield_zpsf5702924.jpg
Bossbank_zpsa3884d12.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
And how are those new brakes working?

Drew and Rick, in the beginning of the first vid you can see how hard the black Lambo was pulling on me in the banking but I could out brake him a little. That is the best I stayed with him both days until I got caught in the bus stop by a slow car. Only problem was the pedal was hard during long stops as you can see I did not get to heal/toe all the way down to second in the first vid three laps in a row. That was not the fault of the Brembo brake setup.

Here is a rear cyro rotor off the car day one, it had four Sebring days on it before this event. Cracked in 5 places and the other side had two! I only had a set of the cheap CJ blanks in reserve and they held up very well. Need to see how long they last and may just switch to them for the cost, they may run a little hotter without the slots but if they last no big deal.

The rotors on the front won't crack like this, different metal. They wear away and I can even meausre how much after each day with a caliper. The fronts I used before (PS, DBA etc.) with the factory brake setup would never wear away and just crack in time. Once cracked they were as thick as they were new.

crackedrotor_zpsa4da344c.png

Re: Week Day Drive With The Fred Flintstone Boss At Daytona

As I said, a lot of wrecked expensive cars, I was not even counting these two.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNOaT1zte60[/youtube]

Hey Scott good to meet you. Too bad i couldnt tear away to talk to you some more.

That car at 17:30 is an audi r8 v10. And its not a dude :p

But that is her Daily driver. Her normal track car is a supercharged Viper :p

Ah, very good. It did catch me by suprise that she slowed down so much since she was at good speed on NASCAR track.

Maybe next time, with five runs a day I think we all stayed very busy.

Yeah i saw alot of cars brake way too early and too much though.

btw what are you using to overlay that information onto your videos?

incase anyones interested this is one of my sessions:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5l9GlHCXezo[/youtube]

Daisuke149 said:
Yeah i saw alot of cars brake way too early and too much though.

I should have seen it coming but like I said just caught me by surprise given the type and speed it was going.

Daisuke149 said:
btw what are you using to overlay that information onto your videos?

It is a Traqmate system I bought from Discovery parts. It is expensive but works great, installs easy, works with the Gopro I had and is easy to use the software.

Daisuke149 said:
in case anyones interested this is one of my sessions:

While there are not always comments I know people like to watch the vids so post away, I get many PM's about the vids from people that don't always want to post in public.

Have you figured out you best lap yet? Looks like it was hard to get many clean runs in your group, have not watched the whole vid yet but I see a lot of traffic at all speeds. That is why I bought the suit for this event, it was needed as you know to run in blue. IMHO I don't think a group of mixed students, intermediate and advanced drivers without the proper gear are a good mix together at a fast track like this.

Having said that I am grateful they opened up the event for us and even if there was a lack of rules in all groups ours ran with few if any problems.

I actually enjoyed the traffic. I had no instructor and first time at the track and first time in the boss. So following faster cars and people I knew was good to learn the lines. In that run i posted, I had my friend Mike Golding with me. While he hasnt run daytona either before, his car see's 99% track miles vs street and has been doing it for longer than I have had a license.

But i definitely enjoyed the fact that despite this being my third track event ever, there were drivers alot worse than me : )

Daisuke149 said:
people I knew was good to learn the lines. In that run i posted, I had my friend Mike Golding with me. While he hasnt run daytona either before, his car see's 99% track miles vs street and has been doing it for longer than I have had a license.

I did catch on during day two that many of the drivers in the non-race groups knew each other from up north. I only ran into two people (or cars) I knew from other FL events.

I knew only Mike with the 370z in your group and Juno with the 370z in my group. But they were friends with Matt (viper), Ron (superlegerra), Laurie (r8 v10 in your vid), Bob (amg) and a few others. In fact Matt pretty much runs flat out motorsports and those guys always do track events with him. Good fella's.

I'm not sure about being at that event at this point. I will be heading to Daytona this weekend and that makes twice this year. I will try to make it and look forward to meeting up, if so I will drop you a message.

TMO Supporting Vendors