The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona takes on a life of it's own after dark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growing up I hated math, I sucked at it, if they had told me how important math was to building and operating a race car, I would've been all over it.
There's so much stuff behind the scenes that is invisible, tire pressure/temp curves, predictive pressures, same with fuel, weight, amount, size of restrictor orifices, use per lap and predictive fuel management plus all the chassis setup info and details. Pretty amazing, really, if you have a kid that hates math but loves cars, you might let them in on that.
I decided to get a degree when I was 48 years old, I basically had to go back to idiot math and learn everything all over again, at least I had a mission this time around.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Growing up I hated math, I sucked at it, if they had told me how important math was to building and operating a race car, I would've been all over it.
There's so much stuff behind the scenes that is invisible, tire pressure/temp curves, predictive pressures, same with fuel, weight, amount, size of restrictor orifices, use per lap and predictive fuel management plus all the chassis setup info and details. Pretty amazing, really, if you have a kid that hates math but loves cars, you might let them in on that.
I decided to get a degree when I was 48 years old, I basically had to go back to idiot math and learn everything all over again, at least I had a mission this time around.
Thanks Blacksheep, I just shared this story with my 13yo. He's having a "mental math block" kind of week with his math. I really stunk at math (I can't help him with his 8th grade math, thank goodness for my wife), and he loves to say "but dad, you did just fine". Well, I got lucky and fell into a decent sales job. Any of the jobs I would also like to do (automotive engineer, mechanical engineer, etc)...I am not qualified to do. He just can't see that far into the future (nor did I...I was blowing s%!t up with fireworks at that age).

I am grateful that we still have professional road racing and events like the Daytona 24 but I still long for the days of the Panoz LMP1 and GTR with the Roush/Yates V8, 12 cylinder BMW LMP1's, Riley & Scott's, Ferrari 333SP's and Porsche GT1's, Vipers, Trans-AM GTS class, Corvette C5's.......those sounds may never return.

Thanks Blacksheep, I just shared this story with my 13yo. He's having a "mental math block" kind of week with his math. I really stunk at math (I can't help him with his 8th grade math, thank goodness for my wife), and he loves to say "but dad, you did just fine". Well, I got lucky and fell into a decent sales job. Any of the jobs I would also like to do (automotive engineer, mechanical engineer, etc)...I am not qualified to do. He just can't see that far into the future (nor did I...I was blowing s%!t up with fireworks at that age).

Check your PM

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina

There is so much truth to this. I think I could have excelled at math by applying it in real life via cars, but I didn't know how much I'd love cars until after I gave up on math. Too late now but lesson learned for future generations.

If you can, do. If you can’t, teach. That leads to teachers who can’t related to practical application because they have no experience outside a class room. Kind of sad.
I just had this EXACT conversation with my wife a day or so ago. In Chemistry they never explained WHAT a MOL was or what it was for. Until I began reloading Ammo and doing the math for fuel I still didn't understand. Now its clear as a bell.
Same for calculating ballistics, air flow ect. I'm an IT Consultant and never use math only time in my professional career was in the Navy chasing subs from the air. Then it was math, math, math... Only use now is hobby related.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel